Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

SEC Power Rankings: Georgia, Alabama enter CFP ‘better’ vs. ‘deserving’ conversation

SystemSystem Posts: 10,702 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageSEC Power Rankings: Georgia, Alabama enter CFP ‘better’ vs. ‘deserving’ conversation

ATHENS — It’s about time for the College Football Playoff Committee to start sorting out teams via its rankings, the first of which will be due out on Oct. 31.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 221 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why is it a sign of nerves when Alabama asks their fans to show out? Kirby asks for this at every home game and then thanks the fans in the post-game interview. I get this is a UGA site, but that's some weird picking and choosing.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds more like Saban trying to get some of Smart's tricks. Kirby mainly does it to have fans show up and not placeholders. I haven't been to a game in years, but the last one I went to, 2 ladies were sitting in front of me talking about all the shopping and stuff they were gonna do after, DURING the game. If you're not coming to the game to actually cheer or support your team, sell your ticket or give it to someone who actually wants to be there.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

"If Lane Kiffin’s Rebels win out they would likely be a CFP team, even if they don’t play in the SEC Championship Game." The only way MS has any chance of making the CFP this season would be winning the SEC. There is a better chance of no SEC team making the CFP than MS making it w/o winning the SEC. Should TN beat AL on 10/21 and TN beat UGA on 11/18 THEN AL beat TN convincingly in the SECCG you could easily have no SEC in the CFP.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You could be right. I have only one proviso. We All know that media has Huge sway on who gets in the CFP. In particular ESPN.

Much of media, and Very Much ESPN, want Michigan ( Desmond & MI fans) and/or OSU ( Herbstreit and OSU fans) or possibly even Both in there to Knock Off whichever SEC team. Their starving for it !! Their sick to death of the chants SEC !! SEC !! SEC !!

So even though they by and large dislike the SEC they’d somehow find a way to put a UGA or Bama or Ole Miss in there. They are starving to prove that they can beat the SEC Champion !!

And even though Non-SEC fans would Never admit it publicly, a CFP without the SEC being represented would be very stale viewing on TV. Ratings would drop terribly, and as we know those ratings = millions of $$$ !! But I Do see your point and would fully agree if not for the proviso.

Like Most things in our country there’s Allot of politics involved that the Media has a very heavy hand in manipulating. Just for one example look how media have promoted Deion and Colorado, generating millions of $$$ for that school.

• Options

You are right that some things, outside of actual on field play, come into play when selections are made for the 4 team CFP field. The only way MS can win the SECw is for them to win out and for AL to lose 2 of their remaining 4 SEC games. Odds are not good for AL to lose 2 more games. So MS does not play in SECCG. Based on the rankings and talent of the top teams in the PAC12, BIG10 and BIG12 , MS is out.

Last year BIG10 had 2 teams in. You may see a "worst case" of MI/OSU/PSU with 1 loss each. BIG10 champ and 1 loss BIG10 team trump 1 loss, non SECCG participant MS. Add in BIG12 champ and runner up w/possibly 1 loss both ahead of MS. AND PAC12 champ (and possible 1 loss runner up) ahead of MS. THAT's before we add in the SEC champ and FSU (ACC champ). Just too many teams ahead of a non-SECCG participant. Same for UGA should it not make the SECCG. Too many teams that can be conference champs and undefeated.

Should TN beat AL tomorrow AND win the SECe then lose to AL in the SECCG you could easily see 4 non-SEC teams ranked higher than any SEC team. It is the last year of the 4 team playoff. There is no obligation to include any conference in the last 4 team playoff.

Based on last years CFBCG (most of the nation turned the game off after the 1stQ) an argument could be made that a CFP w/o an SEC team MIGHT draw more viewer interest. Since 2000 the championship has been won by an SEC team 14 times. The SEC could easily be passed over this year should AL win the SEC w/2 losses.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't fret, Navy. UGA won't come close to losing another game. Kirby's gonna unleash the Kraken on Florida. It's gonna be balls-to-the-wall to the Natty, from that point, on. You won't recognize em. Lol

IMO...Kirby & Company, used the first half of the season (15 games/7 used) to fertilize and cultivate every facet of the "team"...both, direct and indirect. He wasn't able to keep the Genie in the bottle very long, in '21 or '22. Clemson & Oregon forced his hand, in game 1, of both years.

If not for Oklahoma having to drop off the schedule...it would've been virtually the same scenario, this year. That allowed Kirby to do, pretty much, what he wanted to, without sacrificing a win. He tossed the fans a little red meat, every now and again. But, for the most part.. the last 7 games were glorified scrimmages.

This year...nobody's pushing them to play past 2nd or 3rd gear. I think Kirby has already put 90% of next year's roster together. Next year's team, will back up, this year's team...with a ton of experience under their belt. This strategy also allowed most of the 1's to stay fresh, for the meat of the season and CFP.

Can't wait for Jax! Go Dawgs.

• Options

This Is indeed a very weird year !! Allot to try to wrap our heads around. Let’s just hope our Dawgs can win hands down. I think they Can and I’m Believing they Will !!

One thing that seems to have by and large gone out the window is the “weak schedule” narrative promoted by media in preseason. KY was ranked when the Dawgs played them. At the moment the rest of the Dawgs schedule are all ranked with exception of GT. I don’t think the talking heads saw that one coming.

Losing Bowers was a big blow to the Dawgs, but there is still Tons of talent on this team. I’m confident that Kirby and staff are pushing them Hard during this Bye. Go Dawgs !!

• Options

Ah my optimistic Brother !! It’s infectious !! We all know that losing Brock did hurt. I mean he’s a phenomenal one of a kind player. But there is Still Tons of talent on this team. Tons !!

And I Believe that Kirby and staff are pushing them super hard during this Bye time. These Dawgs Know what’s at stake. I would really like to see better play from our Defensive front. I think they Will step up at least some. But we have great LBs to do just that Back Them Up !!

The Secondary is Really coming together. Dawgs Offense Will put significant amount of points, just to much talent not to. Just need the Defense to suppress the rivals score. Scoring Defense is the Most important of all.

People throw out all sorts of stats. But scoring defense is the most important and looking at the season, the defense is not as bad as some think in that lens. I Love that Release The Kraken comment !!! 😂 Let him loose on the Mud Lizards !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 232 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2023

Because Saban RARELY does that. Kirby, on the other hand, has always had that kind of relationship with the fans - remember his first request that there be 90,000+ in his first G-Day game? He has always appreciated the fan's effect on the game. Saban has rarely felt the need to get the fans involved. That is why this is so unusual and shows a need for "extra" in order for the Tide to pull this one out. Tenn beat Alabama last year and poses a similar threat this year. Simple as that - Saban wants to avoid a losing streak against the Big Orange, something that would further cement the perception that he is less than what he was as a coach.

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 232 ✭✭✭ Junior

""If Lane Kiffin’s Rebels win out they would likely be a CFP team, even if they don’t play in the SEC Championship Game." The only way MS has any chance of making the CFP this season would be winning the SEC. There is a better chance of no SEC team making the CFP than MS making it w/o winning the SEC. Should TN beat AL on 10/21 and TN beat UGA on 11/18 THEN AL beat TN convincingly in the SECCG you could easily have no SEC in the CFP." - UGADad20

Who is MS?? I suspect you are talking about Ole Miss?

• Options

Lol...I thought the same thing. I think you're 100% correct. This year just feels "different" in Tuscaloosa...and, College Station, for that matter.

For the record...I see Mizzou as the most dangerous team in the SEC East this year....other than UGA of course.

And, I'm glad UGA already played Carolina and Auburn. Those two teams will be dangerous to whomever they play in the 2nd half of the season. They have improved every week.

So has GT. They could be a challenge to pretty much every team they play, going forward...with the likes of QB Haines King, Brett Seither and Dom Blaylock on offense and a much improved [over previous years] defense.

This is gonna be a fun Nov-Dec period of CFB. I'm looking forward to chaos....with exception of the Dawgs. They are the ONLY stable team I can find on the game-board.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think it's as conspiratorial as all that, @navydawg. There are biases to be sure, and generally a lean toward the B10. But in most endeavors most people try to do the right thing, and I suspect that's true of most CFB voters.

Some voters may relish leaving the SEC out, because they'd like to see the mighty fall or just are biased. Others will give the benefit to the SEC because it's consistently proven to be the best conference. There's always controversy on who's picked, but usually they get it pretty close to correct, IMO. For example, last year they let Ohio State in over anyone in Pac-10 or ACC, or a two-loss Bama; Ohio State then proved they were right by almost beating Georgia).

Right now it looks like a one-loss SEC champion would have a hard time getting in. Oklahoma, FSU and Washington are favored to win out. If that happens, all three would outrank any one-loss SEC champ, even Georgia.

And even if all the Big10 big three lost one game to each other, the one-loss B10 champ most likely would take precedence over a one-loss SEC champion, because their best win and best loss would be better than the SEC's champ's.

Under the conditions described above, I think that would be fair. But of course it's college football!

FSU, Oklahoma and/or Washington could lose to much lesser team, or get beaten in their championship game. And, of course, I'm betting our Dogs will win out -- rendering all our tea-leaf reading irrelevant. Go Dawgs!

• Options

Voters base their vote on what they see on ESPN and OPO [Other People's Opinions]. If those opinions and networks have an agenda...it's reflected by most of the uninformed or misinformed or disinformation "voters".

It's politics. That's why I think...once the 12 team playoff is in effect, some of these perennial Champions will fade away, cause they'll have to "win it on the field", instead of the voting booth.

• Options
    jackbmattjackbmatt Posts: 123 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree with all of that with one exception. I think a 1 loss Georgia trumps any other 1 loss team because of the last two years. The three-peat potential would be irresistible.

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 337 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Olé Miss and LSU in Tier 1

A+M and Florida I’m Tier 2

😬

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"Don't fret, Navy. UGA won't come close to losing another game."

I hope you're right. Florida doesn't scare me as much as Tennessee (because of the environment at Neyland), Ole Miss (because of their prolific offense), and Missouri. All are ranked and should not be overlooked.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

We have a lot of tough games but the scheduling is in our favor.

Tennessee has Missouri before us which will be a tough out for them.

Ole Miss has Texas A&M before us.

The one to watch out for is Mizzou. They have a bye before us and look better than expected.

Our next 4 games are all tough ones.

One game at a time. One game at a time.

• Options

Really? MS is the universally recognized abbreviation for Mississippi. Anyone that made it through 6th grade should know that, Jethro. Try to use some of that gray matter before it completely turns to mush.

• Options

UGA is superior in every way, to all 3 of those teams and the Dawgs, should beat them, soundly. Provided, there's not a complete collapse of the discipline they've exhibited over the last 7 games.

It's obvious to me, that UGA is the best-coached team in the SEC, right now [at least]. Maybe "5 or 6 turnovers" and "10 or 15 penalties" would put them in danger of losing...but, it would take something, that bizarre...IMO.

My confidence in UGA, is based on what I see, what I know and the assumption that they... DON'T overlook anybody, as you say. Which I don't believe the leaders or the Coaching Staff will allow. They've been dealing with these moments for two and a half years. I think they are immune to "overconfidence and pressure-choking".

IMO....years like the last 3-4, that UGA has had, breeds "confidence & poise". Confidence isn't the same thing as "complacency" or "conceit"....but, it is a prerequisite for "poise".

Both,"poise & confidence" are needed, in order to fight through the turnovers and momentum swings, that derail most CFP Contenders. So far...the Dawgs have handled those moments and games, like a Champion, as in the previous 2 years. I don't see that changing.

There's one reason, if for no other, that UGA is dangerous to TENN, MISS and MIZZOU. They "consistently" show up for "big games". Meaning, they are guaranteed to be physical. So, ya better have plenty of trained, experienced, backups...cause, you can bet...the Dawgs "do".

UGA is deep, talented, well-coached, consistent, poised, fast and rested, but in football-shape. Why would anybody "not" pick em to win it all again. Lol...UGA's real season doesn't start, till next week.

• Options

Well looking forward it looks like our Dawgs have a tough row to hoe. Lol I wonder if some of the younger fans know what that means ?? 😀

There’s Absolutely Nothing wrong with being objective, constructive criticism, attempting as best you can to be realistic. I get that. But there are Many times in life as well as football you just have to BELIEVE. If we take all those licenses of being objective, constructive criticism, attempting based on the info. at hand to be realistic, then the last Two Ntl. Championship Dawgs Might not should have won, but They Did !!

In the Navy our ship was our Home. Floating out in the middle of thousands upon thousands of acres of liquid real estate, when something bad happens, like Fire or Flooding or any other situation that threatens to take away Yours and your fellow shipmates Home. You have to hunker down and Fight !! You can’t afford to give up and quit !! I Know these things from my own personal experience of having endured and persevered through them.

As applied to CFB I honestly believe our Dawgs have a similar spirit in that they are a Brotherhood. You HAVE to have that Unity and Mentality to survive. We as Dawgs fans are asking this particular Dawgs team to accomplish something that’s Never been done in the entire history of the program. A 3peat.

You’d Never hear Kirby and down from him Admit the pressure their under, but I Know, Yall know, it’s Definitely there !! So I want to see them accomplish this as much as Any Dawgs fan. I Believe they Can and I Believe they Will. But if it don’t happen I’m Still gonna Love them, Still gonna be Proud of them.

IF our Dawgs for what ever reasons don’t make it, it would be So easy and So convenient to pick out one or two people and place all or the majority of the blame on them. To Me, Speaking For Me, unless there is a Consistent and Obvious those two words, failure on the part of one or two it would be a cop out to do that.

Bobo Will occasionally call a bad play, maybe even back to back. But that’s Not consistent enough for me to turn on him. Monken called some bad plays. Beck might throw an errant pass, again maybe even back to back. Same thinking. A RB might fumble the ball. A Defender get beat bad on a deep throw. These things Can and probably Will at times happen. But To Me that’s not reason enough to Trash a guy or guys and throw them under the bus. It’s a Team effort. TEAM.

I think we’re about to see some tough, tough, football being played out. There Will be allot of nail biting, frustrating moments, trying times for us as Dawgs fans. But Remember NONE of us want it any More so than this Dawgs football program does.

SO when those times come, and they Will, don’t be to quick to abandon ship, and don’t be to quick to give up on These Dawgs !! I’ll close by saying I’ve got a feeling in my more than ample gut that their gonna come growling and snapping out of this Bye time ready to spank some butt !! Go Dawgs !!!