Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Malaki Starks promises defensive improvement for Georgia: ‘It’s on us’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,513 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageMalaki Starks promises defensive improvement for Georgia: ‘It’s on us’

ATHENS — Georgia had two players pick up Midseason AP All-America First Team honors. One was star tight end Brock Bowers, who will now miss time after having ankle surgery.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds good, but the proof's in the pudding.

I'm read for the Florida game, but I'm not sure our Dawgs are. Kirby and Company along with the team's leaders are fixing all the problems they can fix in an effort to improve. The Dawgs must improve if they're to beat Florida and the more difficult teams we still have to beat to get to the SEC Championship Game. However, I'm only concerned about today's improvement.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Many times we as fans talk about particular units coming together to gel like for example the O line. Well just like Starks is saying the Whole team needs to gel !! I believe they Can and I’m gonna believe they Will. One game at a time, one game at a time. Just Get The W !! This one vs the Mud Lizards !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just a few points:

Pearce Spurlin may come along at some point, but coaches believe Luckie is the better player right now.

Defensive players always say problems are due to a lack of communication. But shouldn't that all be fixed by this point in the season?

Kirby says our defensive scheme is to force people to the edge. Maybe so, but you still got to tackle them once they get there.

Just wondering, why didn't Roderick Robinson get same tightrope surgery as Mims? Same injury in the same game, correct?

And finally, Connor, Batman is the "Caped Crusader." Superman is the "Man of Steel."

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I really appreciated the last few moments of this interview (re: the Richt charity event). Starks seems to be really “in touch” with the blessings he’s received from the good lord and the opportunities those who have poured into him (as he stated) have facilitated.

Great to see it seem like his priorities are genuinely in order and it not be “lip service”.

AND he entrenching himself in Georgias historic culture… Got the makings of a **** good dawg, that 24! 💪🏻

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I see we’re reverting to the days of Munson pessimism.

I’m only kidding. I share some similar anxieties. Have to trust Kirby to use the national narrative of “Georgias done without Bowers” to piss the offense off and the horrible RZ effectiveness to motivate defense.

If he’s successful and we survive oct/Nov then it’s going to be an epic offense to try and stop when bowers is back. If not it’s still an eleven to twelve win season and not the end of the world in anyway… although quite disappointing.

go dawgs let’s keep the faith I Kirby.

• Options
    street0123street0123 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think a good percentage of those 15 RZ trips by opponents came as the result of short fields due to a bust on Defense or a UGA turnover. This UGA team just doesn't seem to have the junkyard in 'em that many UGA teams have had in the past and seem to just give in once an opponent gets in scoring position. Hard to remember a George Defense that wouldn't have hunkered down and bowed their backs after seeing their QB chase down a DB and do everything he could to deny an opponent a pick 6.

Maybe this defense just isn't man enough to fight like a dawg when the opponent gains an advantage.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    saldivensaldiven Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

It's not like the defense has been terrible. They're tenth in the FBS in points allowed.

• Options

Agree. Lawson Luckie coupled with Delp is indeed the starting TEs. And Im excited about what they can do. I was just saying I was intrigued by Spurlin’s height. I didn’t realize he was 6’7” !!

On R. Robinson Im like you it seems like it’s taking a long time for him to get back. And you gave a good question there why didn’t he have the tightrope surgery ?? Strange.

Anyway Im hoping that Robinson can get back soon to help supplement the running game. And maybe somewhere down the road we’ll see Spurlin make a contested catch on a deep throw like I described !! 😀. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

SLOW STARTS....Nothing wrong with our Defense other than Slow Starts...of the 98 points we have allowed so far in 2023, 24 have come in the first quarter and 28 have come in the second quarter. The highest is in the fourth at 33 points but that's when we usually have the 2's, 3's and 4s getting "Development Snaps"/ie: "garbage time"...Divide by 7 games our D has only allowed 3.42 points 1st QTR, and 4 points 2nd QTR......7 points allowed in the first half.....not terrible but as Malaki states, "we can do better" and I believe we can and will!

Offensively, somewhat slow.....38 points in the 1st or 5.42 points, 109 points in the 2nd or 15.57, 76 points in the 3rd or 10.85 and in the 4th 58 points or 8.28 points.

GtheGreeks recommendation and over all strategy.....win the toss, receive, and score TD in first possession, Defensive goal-3 and out for the oppositions first possession......The Dawgs need to score TD on second possession......Fast Start means opponents are play catch up and this is where miscues are made. If we don't win the toss, the D must get a three and out on the opponents first possession.....in short, beatem in the first half, seal the deal in the third and "Development Snaps" in the fourth. Malaki, I'm trusting you and the Dawgs can and will get it done!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

Our average score through 7 games is 40-14. That is not too shabby imo.

This bye week is great. I think we will be healthier then we've ever been.

I think we win by a couple tds against the turds but that will have to wait.

I like Penn State with the upset. I also like Gumps by 3 over the urnge.

This team was built in Fall Camp and it was a doozy. We are a gritty tough as nails team. It will pay off through this home stretch.

• Options
  • Options

@GtheGreek Amen !! Excellent comments !! Go Dawgs !!