Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Final grades from Georgia football win over rival Florida

SystemSystem Posts: 10,480 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageFinal grades from Georgia football win over rival Florida

ATHENS — The final score doesn’t fully illustrate how dominant the Georgia Bulldogs were in their win over the Florida Gators.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Defense...B+ to A- That opening drive kept them from a solid A.

• Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

Florida came out and slaps us in the face like a girl. We punched them back in the mouth like a man.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

Some of these grades may need to come with an "*". That was the worst coached opponent UGA has seen all season. Hope CBN gets an extension.

Jalen Kimber? Remember him? Took a quick peek into the backfield and... burnt. Great TD pass by CBeck. Kimber has never been missed.

No need to rush AMims back to start. The OL is playing well w/73, 53 and 57 playing. Mims should play a series here and there until he is completely back 100%.

Jalon Walker is a football player. He may be the best ILB on this team. He's probably the best OLB on this team. He needs more game reps.

Nice seeing TID unexpectedly back. He can be a difference maker. Coaches need to use him judiciously and pick his spots. Having him healthy down the stretch could make a big difference. No need to overuse him in these games. Same w/McConkey.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I blame loose sodding and poor field conditions, for that 1st drive.

The guys took extra time (milliseconds), to dig and change directions...giving the receivers a distinct edge in creating "seperation".

I think, anybody that throws the ball, for a living...could've scored on that first drive. UGA's DC should've seen it coming, in warm-ups, and dialed up some pressure packages to protect the secondary.

UGA's coaching staff adjusted for it...meaning... more blitz packages...in turn, giving the QB less time to find an open receiver. The DB's can only cover and lockdown for so-long, before somebody breaks free. That's at any level...Midget, HS, College or Pro.

There were a few mistakes, in coverage...but, IMO...that should be expected, considering the youth and inexperience of a few of the guys being used. Those mistakes will come fewer-and-further between, as the season progresses.

IMO...We'll be seeing most of next year's team take the field, every week, going forward....in the form of "backups" and "substitutions". At UGA...there's no such thing as "backup". Every player, in the 1a's and 1b's, is a potential "starter"...[22 offensive players and 22 defensive players, minimum]...and, could start for virtually ANY team, tomorrow.

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'd give special teams an A- (nitpicking). the short opening KO gave UF great field position for their drive. thorson put his punts inside the 20, but, I think it was his first one, went OB at around the 19, could have pushed it a little deeper as we had the coverage downfield to keep it out of endzone.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Iknow I'll catch flack for this but I seriously don't care. I think MB should get a C for play calling. I know we won big, but as has been said, FLA coaches handed us a short field and the defense created turnovers, but by my calcaluations we left about 15 points off the board, the game should have been a laugher between their coaching and our defense and our passing offense but on 4 differernt occassions we're moving the ball with some run but mostly as usual picking up chunk plays and 1st downs via the pass only for Bobo to call runs on 1st AND 2nd down for zilch to put us in 3rd and long and we have to pass and they know it and we don't convert. Just a total head scratcher to be moving it well by the pass and inexplicably Bobo calls to straight shots up the middle. WHy? On 4 seperate occassions? WHy"

THis has happened in most of the games this year. We're cruising down the field everything looks easy peasy via the pass and no wait, 2 straight runs for no gain? 3rd and long now and they rush or blitz and we don't convert the 1 pass.

I don't think there is a team out there that can shut down our passing attack when CB is given 2 throws per 1st down sequence. THrowing evey down is fine with me when the passing is working picking up chunks. THe name of the game is scoring, not holding to some type of self imposed mandatory runs per drive. Especially running on both 1st and 2nd down!

• Options
    edited October 2023

🤣🤣🤣...you wanta just put up a "running anti-Bobo post"? It's noted...you don't like or understand Bobo's play calling. Bobo calls what Kirby allows him to call, from a preselected play list...especially, in the Red Zone.

There was "no need" to give away any more "Intel"...[to Mizzou, Ole Miss or Tennessee]...than necessary. They were crushing Florida with basic plays. Anything else, would've been, just showin' off and giving away valuable information. You don't think the Dawgs could've been doing that, all year...to every opponent? Lol

Kirby & Company, knew at the beginning of the season, that...the last 5 games would be their biggest challenge. They have a plan...and, they're working the plan. Be happy! 😁😎

"THe name of the game is scoring, not holding to some type of self imposed mandatory runs per drive. Especially running on both 1st and 2nd down!"_____Reddawg1

I disagree...wholeheartedly! The NAME of the game is WIN!....by whatever means necessary.

UGA and Kirby Smart...plays smart complementary football...crushing their opponent like a Boa Constrictor [best description I've heard, this weekend]....with Offense, Defense & Special Teams. UGA fans apparently aren't used to seeing that...but, that's the way they played, back in the early '80's.

The new-aged passing attacks and high octane Offenses of today, have never been UGA's brand of football. It's always been about defense, running game and special teams...with extremely capable, passing and receiving. I love it.

• Options

Lol...now...that's funny....I don't care who ya are [Larry The Cable Guy].

• Options
    edited October 2023

One more thing.....

I was extremely impressed with UGA's downfield blocking, by most of the WR's....especially, McConkey and Rosemy-Jacksaint. The TE's were money, too. IMO

Oh yeah...and, I think there might be a superstition among the QB's, regarding haircut...going back to Bennett's haircut superstition. Both QB's had the Bennett haircut. I don't think that will change, until they lose. Lol

• Options

I can't disagree. But this is CMB executing CKS's game plan. It was the same last year as I remember complaining about the same thing w/Monken. CKS thinking he can run whatever he wants whenever he wants and be successful has limited the O and left points on the field over the last few years. Especially in the red zone.

I know CKS wants to beat down the D and impose his will. But couldn't it be done with more than 1 running play? At least CMB pulled out a blast from the past with that 1 toss run play.

The good news? The OL is looking better. Players like 53, 55, 56 and 57 are plug and play. That bodes well for next year when UGA loses 4 OL to the NFL(and prob a couple to the TP) . CBeck can make every throw, throws it all over the field and is gaining confidence. He either knows all the progressions or sees the field better than SBIV. Still needs to pass the pressure test but clearly shows his 4 yrs of practice in the O.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like offensive drives that score TD's and not have to kick FG's because your OC decided to run up the gut twice in a row when you had just thrown 4 times in a row for 44 yards and had a 1st down at the 5 yard line or we throw a pass for 55 yards to their 17 yard line and then run up the middle twice for not much gain. Now we're 3rd and long and you had them on the ropes with passing and then you go run twice in a row for nothing and they just got the down and distance back in their favor. And why? No one can say. We had them reeling with passing. LOL!

But the great thing is we have a really good offense and we played a not so good team, so it's just going to show up as a win with a big score and a lot of offensive yardage so not many people are going to make an issue out of the drives that got stymied not so much by the opponents but by our play selection. However, against a really good opponent I don't want this fascination to running on both first and second down out of the blue when you had been going great via the pass to come back and haunt us. But that's just me.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@reddawg1 and @UGADad20

A. Do you know who leads UGA this year in yards from scrimmage and TDs? Daijun Edwards (622 yards, 8 TDs). Brock Bowers is #2 with 595 and 5. Yes, Bowers is clearly the better player but the idea that Edwards hasn't earned as many carries as UGA wants to give him - as if a guy who is averaging nearly 6 yards per carry is somehow holding his offense back - is ridiculous.

B. UGA is #8 in total defense this year. Take away Air Force and Ohio and they are #6 in major college ball. So why on earth does giving the other team a shot at cheap points and short fields by getting pick-sixes and **** sacks make sense? Punt the ball, force them to drive the entire field against that defense and you be the one to force INTs, fumbles, sacks etc. against them.

C. Put A. and B. together: UGA's gameplan allows them to make the best use of their talent. You want to do the opposite in favor of a "throw it 50 times a game" strategy that forces UGA to rely even more on a first year starter at QB, a redshirt freshman LT, a backup playing hurt at RT, a true soph starting his first game at TE, tailbacks who are unproven in pass protection and WRs who aren't elite (McConkey's proven but the #2 returning WR had 20 catches in 15 games last year)? Why? Because playing against your strengths in order to emphasize your weaknesses consistently produces better results?

There are merits to playing the way that you want but UGA doesn't have the personnel to consistently pull it off. If UGA has Clemson's players from 2016 or LSU's players from 2019. Those teams had the sort of veteran elite players that you need to make a big time passing game work. Georgia doesn't meaning that they are going to have to win games a different way, just like they did in 2021 and 2022.

• Options

I absolutely agree with the majority of your post...particularly A & B. Not sure I understood what you meant in the "Why" part of C, but, i think we're on the same page. Lol

One thing I disagree with, a little bit, is that...IMO...the Dawgs have "THE best" receiving core, I think they've ever had. And, I've seen em all, over the last 5 decades. I believe...as with 2019 LSU...that will become more obvious later in the season.

A couple of those boys are about to make a mark....[McConkey & Rosemy-Jacksaint]. They haven't been used very much, up till last weekend. I believe Bobo and McClendon have been resting the WR's for the late season run.

15 games, makes for a looong season when you're also dealing with schoolwork and studies. I believe that Kirby learned a lesson in 2021, when they lost the SECCG due to "fatigue"...among other things. They were fresh, last year...and, will be, this year, as well.

BTW...it's interesting, that most of the prolific passing teams, that make it to the CFPCG have "battering ram", high profile RB's...like Derrick Henry, Travis Etienne, Leonard Fornette....Daijun Edwards?....maybe.

I've been really impressed with Edwards all year. He has improved just a little bit, every game....IMO. He's running with confidence and authority, now. He has the best vision, burst and movement of any UGA RB, I've seen, since Garrison Hearst. Swift had some of the same attributes, too.

IMO...to run the '16 Clemson, '20 Bama or '19 LSU style of prolific passing...you must have a reliable running game or short yardage game of some kind. Otherwise, you can die by the same poison you use.

• Options
    edited October 2023

@thadec You missed the point. @reddawg1 explains it perfectly above. No one said "pass 50 times." But throwing a low % pass followed by 2 runs up the middle makes less sense. Especially when you have a QB as accurate as CBeck. Way too many versatile offensive skill position players to not try some different things. Jet sweep, wheel route, screen w/DBell, Delp down the seem, deep ball to ASmith there are many possibilities. Did not see one of those things yesterday. Though CKS has said this is not true, the ONLY thing that makes sense is CKS not wanting to show too much.

Your total yards on O argument is bogus. Where do you get this stuff? The reason DEdwards leads in total yardage is because for the majority of the season he has been the ONLY healthy, experienced RB. AND UGA spreads the ball around to MANY receivers when passing. Remember? The same reason you say UGA can't recruit elite WR's.

Personally I like RB by committee and WR by committee. It keeps your RB's healthier and makes more of your WR's happy and out of the TP. Outside of the QB position, quality depth wins championships more than 1 dominant player at a position.

Same avoid mistake game plans we saw last year. I get it. CBeck is still proving himself and SBIV had to be reeled in from his gunslinger mentality to be more of a game manager. But any time I see 2 dive runs in a row I wonder what the thinking is. Especially when it is 3rd and 5 or more.

@BigDawg61 I was thinking about DEdwards work load during the game yesterday and wondered why RRod or APaul didn't see some action and take some of the load off 30. WR/RB DBell is actually the bigger player than Edwards. You don't want Edwards to try and be "a battering ram" down the stretch. He will get used up and may not be available when needed. "Fatigue" remember?

• Options
    edited October 2023

I'm not disagreeing with you, on the employment of the RB's. I don't know what's going on with R-Rod. I expected to see him produce a little, Saturday, Myself. Either, he's still nursing a wound...or, they have a different plan, for him. Robinson, could be UGA's next great back...IMO.

I will say this...Like most great running backs, I've seen.....Edwards seems to get stronger, and better, as the game goes on.

That being said...I'm all for resting him for a half, in each of the upcoming games. I remember a dislocated shoulder giving us a scare in the '80 Sugar Bowl. Walker would get anywhere from 20 to 45 carries per game. Talk about workhorse! Lol

I don't believe it's good practice, to use all of your players, 100% of all 15 games, in a season. 99% of today's CFB Teams, can't afford to sit their best players and still beat hell out of everybody. UGA "Can"...and, "Does". That's the way I see it, anyway.

• Options

@BigDawg61 They don't want to rush RRod back from injury too soon. He is expected to be a big contributor down the stretch. That is smart. BUT they rushed APaul back from injury too soon. He hasn't been seen much (at all?) the last few weeks. So the question is "Is APaul now facing another injury or feeling the effects of being rushed back too soon?" When will he be available and something close to 100%?

I hope APaul's '23 season wasn't compromised or sacrificed because UGA needed a RB w/22, 2 and 30 out at the beginning of the season. Especially when UGA could've won games with Cash Jones, Sevaughn Clark and Lenneth Whitehead.

• Options

I don't know about APaul...haven't heard his name mentioned in a while. Maybe, they're working with him on blocking and protections. That'll keep a good back off the field. Ya gotta be able to pick up the blitz.

I'll have to go back and take a hard look at those games, he played in, to see what the issue might be. Tell you the truth...Brian Robinson may be the best back, NOT on the roster, right now. It's a **** shame he got hurt before the season. I was looking forward to seein' him trucking DB's. Lol