Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Former Georgia star makes case for Missouri being SEC’s second-best team

SystemSystem Posts: 10,667 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageFormer Georgia star makes case for Missouri being SEC’s second-best team

ATHENS — Kirby Smart’s respect for Missouri football is obvious, and former Georgia player Drew Butler is apparently on the same page.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

I see Mizou and UF as nearly identical teams. Kind of ho-hum on defense and a few studs on O: each has a really good RB, with some others in support; same with receivers: Burden=Piersall; and QB's similar with Mertz being a little more accurate, but Cook being more mobile. Lassiter will lock down Burden when they're matched, and we'll have to account for Cook's running.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

Dawgs now have one of if not The primary receiver that made that close score possible for Mizzou last year !! Don’t Y’all just know that Lovett will want to show up Huge against his old team !! Go Dawgs !! EDIT: I just checked my comment about the impact of Lovett for Mizzou in last years game. And Yes he did have the most receiving yds. for them at 84 yds. He also caught their longest pass of 37 yds. Next guy behind him caught 54 yds. So Lovett was the heart of their receiving game last year. Now he’s All Dawg !!! Oh Yeah !!!!

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 221 ✭✭✭ Junior

Lovett also has their playbook. Sure it's changed some, but they can't revamp an entire offense in a season.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

MO statistically better than FU in all major categories. Rushing O/D, Passing O/D and ppg. Big difference between FU and MO is in experience. FU has one of the youngest teams in the SEC and MO returns 18 starters from the team that had UGA on the ropes last year. Big advantage to have the game in Athens this year. Recall last year SBIV struggled (24-43) . I would expect CBeck to complete more than 56% this year.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sorry chief but Missouri lost to LSU by double digits at home. Yes, Missouri has a better record but as Mizzou's best wins are only over #25 Kansas State and unranked Kentucky. Add that to wins over Memphis, 2-6 MTSU, 2-6 South Carolina, 2-7 Vandy and FCS South Dakota and that isn't enough to "contextualize" a 10 point home loss to another team with a similar record against a tougher schedule.

I give Mizzou a ton of credit. They went from a 4 point home win over 2-6 Middle Tennessee State early in the season to blowing out Kentucky and South Carolina in back-to-back weeks. So they are clearly getting better. But I would take Alabama and Ole Miss over them, meaning they would finish no better than #4 in the SEC West. Plus after UGA they still need to play Florida and Tennessee teams that have better passing offenses than any SEC team that they have beaten. Yes getting both those teams in Columbia will help, but they're as likely to finish the regular season 8-4 as they are 10-2.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@navydawg

What made the Mizzou game close last year was UGA's issues on offense, not defense. UGA didn't score an offensive TD in that game until 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Missouri for their only put up a TD and 5 field goals. It was a strange game: UGA had twice the first downs that Mizzou did, nearly 200 more total yards and a 9:30 advantage in time of possession. UGA did put the ball on the ground twice, but that doesn't explain their only having 12 points until well into the 4th quarter.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 279 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I still get acute nausea recalling that snarky, twisted "snake charmer" music MO incessantly played throughout our game with them last year. I don't think enough consideration is given to how much that may have contributed to our lethargy on the offensive side.