Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football has another double-digit NFL draft class ahead, 3 projected first-round picks

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football has another double-digit NFL draft class ahead, 3 projected first-round picks

ATHENS — Kirby Smart has raised the bar in most every area at Georgia, with his staff’s player development at or near the top of the list.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am and you are seeing the real Dawgs now, Emily. You will see that same team against Mizzou and that team will beat Mizzou.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

McConkey is just like Renfrow but a bit faster. Has same route running skills, drive, ability to catch balls anywhere close to him, and tough. He will be a steal for some team.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Except for Nazir, I could actually see any of the guys in the top 111 going first round ... if their seasons go very well.

If they decide to go, I'll really miss having JDJ and Smael, as well as guys like Truss and Ladd. Those four guys were monster against Florida!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2023

@Henddawg

Not sure that I like the Renfrow-McConkey comparison. I was a huge Renfrow fan too. But McConkey is bigger and taller, meaning McConkey can play both flanker and slot where Renfrow can only play slot. Also McConkey puts up better numbers despite playing in an offense that throws it a whole lot less than Clemson did. I think that Clemson should have gotten Renfrow the ball more but they had a ton of WRs in those days who got drafted/played in the NFL - Mike Williams, Amari Rodgers, Tee Higgins, Artavis Scott, Deon Cain, Justyn Ross, Ray-Ray McCloud, Jordan Leggett, Charone Peak etc. - so it was understandable. Add it all up and where Renfrow is quite good, I honestly think that McConkey is better.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2023

McConkey reminds me of, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson...NFL Atlanta Falcons and Houston Oilers [circa late '70's-80's]....IMO. He's gonna make a great NFL receiver/special teamer....provided, he can stay healthy.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2023

People don't realize how fast McC is. Watch a replay of BB's long TD on the wheel route vs UAB his freshman year. "Defenders looking at shoe bottoms!" was the call. But notice McC caught up to BB's (from 15-20 yards back) while he was running full speed away from the defenders.

Last game vs FU, McC caught a pass 15 yards down field, in the middle of the field/defense, coming back to the LOS and reversed and ran into the end zone untouched. Untouched in the middle of the field after catching the ball with his back to the end zone coming back to the LOS. That is hard to do.

Back injuries are dicey even if you don't play football. Renfrow was a 5th rd pick. If McC gets completely healthy and runs less than a 4.45 40 he probably goes in the 4th rd. Size and previous injury history probably drops him down in the draft.

There are only 32 picks in a round. IF #22 and #23 (both smallish S's) run really fast at the combine they could move up from 64 and 67. JDJ at 111 is surprising a little. But if Nakobe Dean can go 83rd, JDJ can go 100th. Lassiter going in Rd 1 seems a little high.

It will be interesting to see who (if any) comes back from those listed above. W/o some of them coming back, UGA will be a pretty young team next season.

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

White Shoes is 5'9' and McConkey is a full 6' and is probably faster. But they both are and were very skilled receivers. Billy Johnson deserves to be in the NFL HOF.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree...he should be NFL HOF. He was good enough and memorable to the game...with his "signature TD Dance". Lol

However...not to be disagreeable...but, when Johnson played, players were a little "smaller, slower and less athletic", at all positions, for the most part...IMO. Hell...William "The Fridge" Perry was the the first significant 300+ pounder, in the early eighties.