Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

CFP Committee: Georgia level of play trumps Dawgs’ lower strength of schedule

SystemSystem Posts: 10,513 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageCFP Committee: Georgia level of play trumps Dawgs’ lower strength of schedule

ATHENS — Georgia’s impressive wins over Florida and Kentucky were enough to convince the CFP committee to rank the Bulldogs No. 2 despite their relatively light schedule.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Georgia would beat Ohio State by 17 points, but it will play out. When we beat Missouri-Georgia will be number 1

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ohio state will lose to Michigan then Michigan will be banned and OSU will be in

Oregon will win the pac12 and squeeze in

UGA or Bama will represent the SEC

Then is it FSU OR Texas?

ok y’all gonna focus on the bama thing we know the dawgs are strong and can win out

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 747 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Media Frenzy. Thats all and takes one of our own, a dawgnation blogger to ask that question. Typical

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 747 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It will all work itself out at the end of the season. until then produce hits.

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 328 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m honestly glad the Dawgs weren’t ranked #1. Now the coaches don’t have to fabricate some BS narrative (disrespect) to fire the boys up. Not being constantly lauded and placed upon a pedestal can be good. Just saying.

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 255 ✭✭✭ Junior

" GEORGIA AGAINST THE WORLD " the way Kirby wants it.

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't think the world is against you being ranked #2. It's pretty high praise

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just win baby! If this team keeps improving they can be really, really good. Especially on offense. Really impressed with Beck. And Bobo.

Beck is careful with that football, can make every pass pretty accurately and with pressure on any side, including right in his face. Once he gets that deep ball down, lookout.

That offense is going to be in the top 3-5 in the nation. And I think it will need to be that good this year. Good to see it can be.

But we will play much tougher defenses than Florida's, so our defense has got to keep improving and cut down on the # of TD's they are giving up in a game. The past 2 years, there weren't allowed many in games, especially not against any team that was not in the top 10 or so. But they can get the job done. We got their back.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CClayC88 That's exactly right -- the No. 2 ranking is a huge compliment considering the SOS

• Options
    Georgia67Georgia67 Posts: 143 ✭✭✭ Junior

I have always felt the #1 ranking and associated media attention is a distraction. Let someone else carry that for a while. I agree with coach Smart that the last team standing is what matters most. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigTenEatsFartsBigTenEatsFarts Posts: 147 ✭✭✭ Junior

Totally fine with #2, just focus and win out. So sick of Ohio state though. Their “big” wins are against overrated teams and the rest of their big ten schedule is a joke. So much worse than what the media made of our schedule. Would love to beat them again in the playoff or have Dan Lanning blast them as well!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

On Oct 31st ranking means absolutely nothing. There is only one important thing for UGA today. Preparing for MO.

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't think that is how Kirby will spin it to the players. They might as well have ranked us 200th. The committee just said they weren't good enough, they've looked good but it was against nobodies, we wouldn't be undefeated if we played Ohio State's schedule and that they think Ohio State would win on a neutral field. Georgia players and coaches will absolutely consider any ranking other than 1 to be an insult.

Also, Georgia has a worse SOS via Sagarin, but you can find other highly reputable SOS ranking where Michigan is sometimes lower.

• Options
    Cali_DawgCali_Dawg Posts: 30 ✭✭ Sophomore

Wasn’t Tennessee ranked #1 last year by this same committee hard to take anything they put out seriously. Hunker down boys and play the game in front of you. 4 more to 3 straight undefeated regular seasons.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2023

I'm sure Kirby and all of the backups who've gotten playing time are all broken up about this. Never mind the fact that Bobo has only shown his hand at what he can do when absolutely necessary.

So we only beat Vanderbilt by 17 points...we outgained them by 250 yards! That's dominance AND keeping your cards close to the vest.

I think the NCAA cannot stand the SEC's dominance in college football, especially since Georgia is at the top.

The national media has NEVER liked Georgia, and would use any excuse to keep the Dawgs out.

Kirby: "Just point to the scoreboard and laugh!"

So in regard to our SOS...should we be playing teams like Alabama and LSU every week? Georgia is in the SEC East for crying out loud...if anything, it shows UGA's dominance in recruiting that the top players go to UGA or they go to the SEC West or another conference altogether.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Right on, Brother!!!

That's what I've been saying. Look at the common opponents between UGA, Kentucky and Florida. Kentucky, Tennessee and Florida have been beating up on each other...along with Vandy and SC.

But....when the Dawgs play Kentucky and Florida...they are destroyed. The same will happen, with Tennessee...IMO.

That being said....Ole Miss could be an issue. They seem to be a dangerous team, with a competent Coaching Staff...and the Dawgs have to play em in their house.

Bwaaa ha haha....just kidding. There's nobody in the Country that can stay on the field and go toe-to-toe...for 4 quarters [plus]...with the Georgia Bulldogs. I'll state that...flat out. That's my opinion.

I've said it before...I'll say it again...Kirby has turned UGA into an NFL Training Facility that could beat some...if not most of the teams in the NFL. There is NO OTHER team in CFB quite like em.

That being said...Dan Lanning may be trying to create a West Coast version. He's kickin' arse out there. I'm proud of him. Hope UGA has to play Oregon in the CFPCG. And,....beats em. Lol

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The SEC has won 14 of the last 20 national championships. The Big 10 has won 2 in the same time period yet for some unfathomable reason the Big 10 is supposed to be the better conference. That is total and complete BS. Michigan and Ohio State wouldn't win 5 conference games a year if they had to play an SEC schedule.