Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Mississippi State fires Zach Arnett, second SEC job comes open

SystemSystem Posts: 10,473 admin
edited November 2023 in Article commenting
imageMississippi State fires Zach Arnett, second SEC job comes open

A second SEC job has come open in two days, as Mississippi State is parting ways with head coach Zach Arnett. Ross Dellenger of Yahoo! Sports was the first to report the news.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2023
    1. Dan Mullen is still available. As hard as it is to believe, he is their most successful coach since integration - Jackie Sherrill had more wins but Mullen was #2 in wins with a better winning % - even if Mullen's best years came with his predecessor's recruits.
    2. Schumann can do better in a couple of years - way better - and would be well advised to wait. Remember that Nick Saban (in)famously told Kirby Smart the same when A&M tried to hire him. A&M hired Kevin Sumlin - great coordinator who couldn't build a program - and then Jimbo Fisher (ditto). Smart waited and got the UGA job and the rest is history ...
  • Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 478 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I just believe Schumann is in waiting for Saban’s position. If(when) UGA wins it’s third Natty, Schumann will be in line.

evrn though he never played at bama, he was a student assistant there while in school. It is probably his dream job.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure you want to go to Miss St. for your first gig.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

MSU is a tough job. I can see Kliff Kingsbury taking that. You need someone who runs a unique offense because it is just plain hard to win there. Mullen could go back but I doubt it. I would look for a dynamic division II guy who wants to cut their teeth.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I sure hope all our coaches stay at UGA. At least through the 3Peat opportunity. As many of you have already stated and I fully agree, it’d be in their best interests ( at this juncture) and the Dawgs program best interests.

In particular Schumann should stay. Saban ain’t getting any younger so sooner than later his job will come open. Being HC of Bama would be light years better than the other two currently available.

It’s possible even probable that some of the Dawgs assistants could get caught up in these schools for promotion potential, Even if Schumann or anyone else at Coordinator level at UGA doesn’t interview for one of the HC positions.

Guess I’m being completely selfish, but I hope UGA will just up their salaries considerably and thus compel them to want to stay. I mean their families come first, so if UGA ups their pay significantly their already with a winning program that should bring satisfaction.

Course I guess there’s the challenge of helping rebuild a program and take it to a higher level, having a hand in that. I can understand where a young assistant here, being promoted to a coordinator there, would be excited and happy about that. Just please wait until after our 3Peat opportunity !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    nickpnickp Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

John Cohen left Mississippi State to be the AD of Auburn in October 2022 Zac Salmon was hired by Mississippi State in January 2023

• Options
    edited November 2023

@Brooksie

Blue chip programs almost never hire assistants. When they do, they aren't 33 year olds that have been co-DC for 3 years in a room that includes/has included Kirby Smart, Will Muschamp and Dan Lanning. Also, Lane Kiffin definitively proved by turning down the Auburn job last year that he is the Alabama head coach in waiting. Saban knows this and is fine with it, as it was a plan that was put in motion - with Saban's full blessing - as part of the deal to hire Kiffin as coordinator in 2014. Don't forget that Lane Kiffin, despite being relatively young, has run 3 major programs including 2 in the SEC (Tennessee, USC, Ole Miss) and an NFL team (Oakland Raiders) and a mid-major (FAU) already. Now that Kiffin has proven at FAU and Ole Miss that he can recruit and build a program and discipline his players and himself (which was his downfall at USC) he is clearly the most qualified guy for that job by a mile.

@bigdawg88 MSU wouldn't go near a guy who was 35-40 in the Big 12. Keep in mind that he had a Heisman winner (Baker Mayfield) and a future NFL Hall of Famer (Pat Mahomes) at QB for most of that time. He was also fired from an NFL team that was constructed specifically to run his system, although part of that can be blamed on Kyler Murray.

• Options

Maybe the James Madison coach gets a shot at MSU. Or North Dakota's head coach.

• Options

Not sure on the Lane Kiffin thing. I have a feeling it is between Lane and Glen.

Alabama has always prided itself on it's defense and Ole Miss defense stinks. That is on Lane as HC.

I think Schumann is the better hire in 2 years imo for Bama because Lane as great as an OC he is doesn't have the credibility to get the top defensive guys to come to Bama.

• Options

@navydawg

Ha ha Kirby Smart was a beloved assistant at Bama and his leaving probably cost the Tide 3 titles so no fair begrudging any UGA assistant who makes the same jump. Just hope that they do like Dan Lanning and leave the SEC when they do.

That said, I don't think that there is going to be much movement this year from the UGA coaching staff. Muschamp has been fired by South Carolina and Florida. Bobo was fired 3 times (HC Colorado State, OC South Carolina and Florida) in 3 years. Schumann is too green to be seriously considered by any job worth having.

What is most likely to happen would be Schumann leaving to be the #3 guy in UGA's defensive pecking order to be the sole DC at a place like LSU and USC, who have great offenses but terrible defenses. Similarly, it wouldn't be a shock were some school to try to raid UGA by offering an OC job to Bryan McClendon. Billy Napier, under pressure in Gainesville to hire an OC, is a possibility there. The NFL making a run at either to be a position coach could happen, as the Philadelphia Eagles plucked Brian Johnson from Florida a few years back. But I don't rate either as being particularly likely. Far more likely that some college program waits until Schumann is at least 35, and also waits until Bobo has enough success at UGA to forget about his bad run from 2019-2022. Both should take about a couple of years.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I hope it’s not Kingsbury or anyone that bases their team on a trick offense. I truly believe there are bad for college football and ultimately set back teams years when the shine rubs off the novelty. GT is a prime example.