Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia favored over Georgia Tech, but line suggests Yellow Jackets closing gap

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited November 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia favored over Georgia Tech, but line suggests Yellow Jackets closing gap

Georgia football has opened as a 24-point favorite over Georgia Tech in Saturday night’s game in Atlanta -- a line nine points less than last year’s spread for the rivalry game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CDDawgsCDDawgs Posts: 56 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hahaha!You cannot help yourself! Why do you cover the Dawgs? It isn't that your facts are wrong. It is how you gleefully spin each week's line or bad play or down game to make it seem that the sky is falling with each next opponent. UGA handedly beats UT and you say it was a signature win. I imagine the last signature win we had was the NC game against the Tide or playoff win against the Buckeye. The toothless hillbillies will never be a signature win except in your predictable spin cycle

• Options
    saldivensaldiven Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

The line is about perception, not reality. It's based on what the line setter thinks the public thinks about the matchup. It's designed to try to equalize betting on either side of the game. Very, very, very few games actually end up being within one point of the line set by Vegas. If they actually were trying to predict the score (and were good at it) instead of trying to equalize betting patterns, the game outcomes would match the line far more often. One statistical analysis showed that only 34% of games are within 7 points of the predicted line. Only 16% were within 3 points of the predicted line. Vegas really doesn't have super secret information and technology allowing them to accurately predict game outcomes, and that's not even what they're trying to do. They just want a roughly equal amount of money betting on either side of the game so the losers pay the winners, and the bookies profit off of the transaction fees.

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2023

Mike.

I enjoy your articles but you can take simple news stories and fabricate them into utter BS. Proof..."Georgia favored over Georgia Tech...but line suggests Georgia Tech closing the gap"

Mike... the only gap Kirby and his program are closing in on are more SEC titles, Bowl wins and National Championships for the extended future... GA Tech on the on the other hand is only as good as UGA in the fact Georgia Tech as the word Georgia in it's institutions name sake sir.

Get with the program Mike, we love you buddy but just dam stop with the sensualizing of every opponent Kirby and company destroy every Sat during the Fall.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2023

I haven’t done the math but I believe UGA covered the spread less than 50%

The spread on the Mizzou game seems off and the spread really is only for $$$. I’m more interested in W’s

and on a sad note, many players are really not familiar with the phrase “ good old fashion hate”.

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

Meh, teams get 3 points for home field, so if it was in Athens, it would be UGA -30. That is essentially a 3 point difference from last year.

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Actually it’s COFH week for “clean old fashioned hate.” If Kirby wants to, we can easily hang 55-60 points on Tech. They are soft on defense, can’t tackle, especially in the secondary and will likely fol like a cheap tent once they get punched in the mouth a couple of times. I doubt Kirby will want to run up the score with Alabama on the horizon but rather get a lead, work some clock and get the starters out in the fourth quarter. If we only win by 20-25 points the gnats will see it as a “moral” victory. I’m really hoping for a 50 point or more win. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Everybody's jumping all over Mike for noting the line is closer. C'mon, y'all. Mellow out! He's just trying to find an angle on one of the zillion stories he's expected to crank out every week.

Besides, the line is closer. Maybe not hugely, but the difference between 33 and 24 probably reflects Georgia Tech's improvement more than it unterestimates Georgia.

A few weeks ago, the line might have been closer. But now this Georgia team is hitting all cylinders. After falling short of the line in a lot of early-seasons games, we've clobbered the line against Ole Miss and UT.

I hope we do the same thing against Georgia Tech (although honestly, it's been difficult to think of them as rivals for quite a few years). More than that, I'd love to see the SEC sweep all games against the ACC this weekend: Kentucky over Louisville, South Carolina over Clemson, and -- yes -- Florida over FSU.

Remember the rest of the country was so eager to declare the SEC weaklings at the begining of the season? I'd love to see the SEC make a statement against the ACC this weekend.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Congrats Mike, once again you have over achieved in "stirring the Dawg controversy pot"......you are indeed the Master of "woulda coulda shouda" and a consummate professor of "If's Ands & Buts". I enjoy the way in which you ignite my ire by totally ignoring how The Dawgs have over come negative press about our schedule, ESPN bias, and player injury to improve weekly....Totally ignore who the North Ave Bungle Bees have beaten....South Carolina State and ACC Behemoths like Wake, Virginia and Syracuse.....OK, they won the game against Miami as a result of DACD.....dumb arse coach decision and if not for an ex dawg, Brett Seither to save the day North Carolina would have prevailed....but still, we're talkin ACC! The one point you make every week Mike, the point that is paramount,..... it matters not in what you've done or what you might do BUT ONLY what you do at Grant Field November 25 against the Yellow Jackets....and that's why.....IMHO, you're the best!

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

You lads are some sensitive little b!7ch3s.

GA Tech has improved considerably since hiring Brent Key. Which is good. We want that win to actually mean something each year unlike it has recently.

This is all Mike is noting. GA Tech has improved. He's not slighting UGA at all. Stop overreacting so much.