Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football-Georgia Tech instant observations as Bulldogs run the state of Georgia once again

2»

Comments

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s so pathetic that it’s laughable that we get called for holding on our long TD run, but they held us nearly every play and only got called once. The refs were told to keep this close since it was on abc in prime time. If we don’t turn the ball over, they probably don’t get any TDs and the game isn’t nearly as close as it was. How did acc refs officiate this game anyway? Shouldn’t it have been sec refs ?

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not our best performance on either side of the ball, but we did have key players out. Dillon Bell was the MVP last night! I'll take the win and know Kirby and the players will be laser-focused on Bama (who also definitely didn’t play their best game) this week. Hoping we get most of the injured back for Saturday.

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

My confidence going into the SECCG is much lower after the game against Tech. I do think, no, I hope, that in spite of saying all the right things, Georgia, in addition to being so banged up, *was* looking ahead to Alabama. And I think Alabama was too. Them having such a tough win before Atlanta could help Georgia; hopefully in addition to playing a Georgia team that is better than Auburn, they’ll play a little flat. But they’ll also have a ton of confidence after that ridiculous escape on the plains. If Alabama beats us in Atlanta I’m gonna have to hate Auburn even more because that should have been a devastating loss to Alabama. But that’s neither here nor there - Georgia has to take care of its business. If the Dawgs truly want to establish themselves as the best in this conference, they need to make history and beat Alabama in Atlanta. Failure to do that and we’re back to 2017, 2018, wondering when/if we’ll ever beat them in the SECCG.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Things are not as bad as many posters seem to think.

This Tech team was much better than many people thought. They've had a somewhat up and down season. We caught them at one of their peaks. A rather depleted Georgia team, playing both Tech and the ACC officials, came away with yet another victory.

Things are not as good as some might think.

Yes, we have had a third 12-0 regular season. Yes, we are number one in the nation. Yes, we've won the world back to back. We will always be at risk of losing the next game. That's how the game of football works.

Nobody knows what will happen in the SEC Championship Game. We may win. We may lose. Either way, this has been a tremendous run by our Dawgs. Either way, Kirby has plans for the future. His plans include as much improvement as possible between now and next Saturday. His plans include as much improvement as possible between the end of this season and the beginning of next season.

Those of us who've seen a bad Tech team beat a good Georgia team saw something else Saturday night. A very good Georgia team, on a bad night, managed to beat a good Tech team. Any victory over Tech is worth celebrating. Any undefeated regular season is huge.

Anytime we play for the SEC Championship we've had a very good season, and, have you forgotten, we're 100% in control of our destiny, seeking yet another 2023 championship or two.

These are the Good Ole Days. Enjoy the ride, Dawg fans. There isn't another fan base in the nation in the position we occupy. Our lofty position as Georgia fans is entirely due to the efforts of Kirby & Company and his team. They don't have to be perfect as long as they win. This was a victory over the gnats; for goodness sake enjoy it.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    Dawglifer72Dawglifer72 Posts: 9 ✭✭ Sophomore

Wow why do I ever read these comments!! Half you guys are either just bandwagon fans or really are the most negative UGA fans ever. Was I frustrated at times about our performance, definitely yes. But I understand football and know that we can’t always play our best. Just look around the country at true rivalry games and you plainly see the better teams may win but play bad. Alabama/Auburn, Washington/Washington State, Florida State/Florida. All those games came down to the wire and I believe all those teams are 6-6 that the better teams played. We have won 29 games in a row. Just congratulate our guys and build them up and let Kirby do his job since he obviously knows more than any of us. I trust Kirby and this staff will be ready next week!! GO DAWGS!! This fan is behind you guys 💯%!!!!

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2023

Wow!

Why do I ever read the opinions of the comments posted here?!

It is particularly sad that in America in the year 2023, that a group of diverse people from all walks of life cannot get on a social media site of a particular team or individual that they happen to be a fan of, and post an opinion about an event that they witnessed without some other fan, normally older (Gen X or Boomer) responding with a stereotypical response labeling some person they do not know, never will meet in their LIVES, as a “bandwagon fan” or “the most negative fans ever”.

Here is a “read the room” alert for those of you that are guilty of this:

1. Your opinion is just as meaningless and the equivalent to empty air as the opinion that “triggered” you to respond the way that you did.
    2. Labeling someone a “bandwagon fan” because they have an opinion that is different than yours or that you disagree with is a “negative”reaction and response; So why make yourself sound like a hypocrite? You are what you are accusing others of being. Deal with it. Psychologists call this behavior “projection”, you can look it up online @webmd.com.
    3. You automatically indicate that you did not read a commenter's opinion when you respond attacking them with negativity instead of responding to their opinions that they posted about the game or event or person; This is also indicative of a person who does not have any thoughts of their own about events and that the person wants to control a narrative or, dare I say, control what another fan thinks or comments on an event! You also “out” yourself as someone who “thinks” they have an understanding of an event or a performance that is “better” or “smarter” than another when the reality is, well, SEE #1.

I will conclude with this: I looked around the country at true rivalry games and plainly saw the better teams win AND PLAY GREAT and DOMINATE their competition!

See:

1. Oregon 31 Oregon State 7
    2. Texas 57 Texas Tech 7
    3. Missouri 48 Arkansas 14
    4. Penn State 42 MSU 0
    5. OK 69 TCU 45
    6. LSU 42 Texas A&M 30
    7. Arizona 59 Arizona State 23

It is pretty obvious to me that @Dawglifer72 understands football so much better than I because so many of the cherry picked rivalry games you have in your vast memory bank of college football rivalry games were so “close” and the better teams played so “bad”. I guess the seven examples listed above (and 3 other blowouts I didn’t post because I do not need to list them to make my point) of all top 25 ranked teams completely destroying their “rivalry” competition by double digit touchdown scores (and MORE) are simply explained away as one-offs in regards to your “understanding” of the game of college football rivalry games?

Thank goodness for Kendall Milton last night, he saved Coach Smart’s and Coach Schuman’s bacon, not to mention we fans from a complete embarrassment last night in ATL.

As always, Go DAWGS!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2023

After watching Alabama's "performance" against AU The confidence level for beating AL was pretty high. AL struggled to stop the run of a 1 dimensional AU team and wasn't lighting up the scoreboard offensively.

Then I watched the UGA/GT crappolashow. To play CB you have to be a quick twitch guy. Everette is not a quick twitch guy. He is slow reacting. He struggles to stay close to every WR. When was the last time you saw a UGA LB plug the hole at the LOS or make a tackle behind the LOS? UGA LB's have been making tackles 5-10 yards downfield on most running plays all year. Don't blame "freshmen". Mondon has played all year and JDJ has played most of the year. And were just as guilty. What happened to Sorey and DSmith? May be time to move JWalker back to ILB.

#32 is a try hard guy with experience. Plays because he knows his assignments. Yet he repeatedly gets faked out of his contain position resulting in big gains. Gotta believe the freshmen OLB's will give you more than the 3 good plays #32 gives you a season.

DBell needs to be a bigger part of the offensive game plan. Not sure why UGA/CMB would go to #87 in a big situation. Mews has not proven to be consistent enough to be trusted in big situations. Mews is the SBIV of WR's. He can make a great play then follow it up with a very risky bonehead play trying to play hero ball.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Since many of my DawgNation brothers are in a plaintiff mood about last night's game...I have the misfortune of having DISH network (though I am tring to complete the conversion to equally bad Direct TV). No ABC from DISH for over a year so I was stuck in the 1950s with Scott Howard on the radio. From what I'm reading here, the game was at best unpleasant as performance art in the viewing. I submit that it was almost beyond torture waiting for Scott to FINALLY describe what happened on any play you may choose. I worked Sanford Stadium for 30 plus years, many adjacent to the great Larry Munson. Oh, how I wish he were still with us (and still active in the booth).

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@bogarttad

I concur completely.

For the life of me, I have absolutely no clue how Scott Howard has kept his “job” as pbp for our Dawgs for this long.

He is, by a NY mile, the worst radio color commentator in all of college football. Sometimes I think it is Lee Corso incarnate on the radio; from taking 5 seconds or more to describe the play, how many yards gained or lost, to actually DESCRIBING what is occurring after the says the ball has been snapped, to at least 1/3 of the time describing “a completed pass” or a “fumble recovered by the opposing team” to “he threw the ball to XYZ for some yards”, only to say immediately after that the play was an “incomplete pass”, “player was down and no fumble”, or “it was an incomplete pass”, Scott Howard is terrible with a capital T.

We ALL miss Larry Munson, for all the right reasons and for most of all, making us feel like we were watching the game on TV while listening to him.

Howard has none of those qualities and never did.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Those of us who've seen a bad Tech team beat a good Georgia team saw something else Saturday night. A very good Georgia team, on a bad night, managed to beat a good Tech team. Any victory over Tech is worth celebrating. Any undefeated regular season is huge.", JimWallace, you are indeed a man of wisdom an experience....I too was B/R in the Classic City, Athens High 70, UGA 76. What we saw was the best Tech team I've seen since the Carson, Rodgers, Ross years.....I have no doubt that Key will bring the defensive toughness back and Buster will add the offensive creativity.....Tech's problem will continue to be talent depth........all in all we beat a very good Tech team and with that said for the past four weeks my church has focused on "THANKFULNESS"......for The Dawgs to be where they currently are, I for one am extremely THANKFUL!

Not to mention, my HOPE for the future has never been higher.......on to BEAT BAMA, and then who ever else the cat drags in!