Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia negotiating to keep Carson Beck as his NFL draft stock continues to rise

SystemSystem Posts: 10,467 admin
edited November 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia negotiating to keep Carson Beck as his NFL draft stock continues to rise

ATHENS — Carson Beck is the highest-rated NFL quarterback prospect in the hunt for a CFP spot, per ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

It would make sense to try and keep him, he's proven. Utk paid their QB 2 million $$$ to ride the pine this year, crazy world we live in.

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

@KBP - agreed.

I'm sure this information (if true) will make Brock & Gunner feel great about their futures at UGA.

• Options
    SequoiaDawgSequoiaDawg Posts: 18 ✭✭ Sophomore

This is a vastly different team from the previous two. Injuries have had their impact, but this really is more of an offense driven group. The true test for me is taking down Bama and denying them that SEC championship trophy. If that happens, I have no doubt that they'll take down FSU and the winner of Michigan/Washington or Michigan/Oregon. Beck could be looking at really big bucks in the NFL if all of that happens.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't know if he should stay or go. He'll make more money than me regardless. But a question I have is if indeed Georgia is trying to figure out a way to bring him back next year, what does that say about how Kirby feels now about Vandagriff and Stockton? I would think it means that he isn't completely sold on either one those guys because if Beck returns, surely one or both of them will transfer. And Smart has to know that. Now, if Beck returns, I don't really care if they transfer. But if he leaves, even if one or both of them stay, one would have to think that they're saying to themselves, "Smart and Bobo don't truly trust me to run this offense." I just don't know about this one. But anyway, Go Dawgs!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Carson needs to advance to the NFL. Give Brock and Gunner the opportunity to compete for QB-1&2 while Raiola learns the system...you're spot on Brooksie about our O-Line....we'll need a true dual threat QB.... Brock and Gunner fit the bill perfectly.

• Options
    RomeDawg288RomeDawg288 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Could weigh 25 NFL top 10-15 1st round money vs bottom of 1st/2nd round 24 NFL money - quite a significant difference on top of an NIL deal.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What kind of package are they offering Bowers? One thing about Bowers, he reportedly is not about money though. If the NFL challenge and level is what means more, he will be gone.

If he loves life in Athens, maybe, just maybe, he stays and hopefully, goes for 4 in a row!

Vandergriff? Who knows but if he enters the portal next week, we will all know Beck is staying.

• Options

It is what it is brother. If you were Kirby and Bobo and your job is first and foremost is to do what you think is best for the program, your first priority is to try and get Beck for another year. Vandergriff and Stockton are secondary. Just the way it is.

I would have some defensive players and Bowers higher priorities than all but 1 of the backup QB's.

If Brock(self-admittedly was not ready as he should have been) was the starter and Beck wasn't, he would be the priority over Beck probably. Brock and Gunner are unproven They are simply unproven. Beck is proven. Therefore obviously he is a higher priority for his probable significant impact on the chances for the team's success in 2024. Proven vs unknown.

Hate it for those 2 if he stays but there is a pecking order. Just like when they both stayed the last 2-3 years. Heck once Brock signed, most casual fans thought BECK would be the odd man out and leave before he took his 1st college class or had 1 college practice!! Beck's HS coach said, after Brock committed, if you know Carson, once he commits, he is not wavering. He is not afraid of competition and he said he would be extremely surprised of Carson ever transferred. This was said before Beck's freshman year.

If Beck stays, my personal opinion is that Vandergriff leaves, Stockton stays. IF Beck stays. If I were Beck, I would stay. He is not NFL ready IMO. Or, Brock & Gunner can get better and try to win the job next year.

That being said if Beck torches Bama's defense, then torches Michigan's and/or Oregon's defense. he might be more ready than I think. Definitely better than 1/3 of the starting QB's on current NFL rosters. Which seems to be at an all-time low, at least in my lifetime.

Anyway...

First things first though.

BEAT bama THIS SATURDAY. AND BAD!!!

• Options

Sounds JUST LIKE what many, MANY said after Stetson won the 1st Natty. Leave Stetson, so Vandergriff will start in 2023. He has a better arm and otherwise he will transfer.

Personally, I will worry about 2024 before I worry about 2025 and I will take Carson Beck in 2024.

Not only because it makes the most sense and best thing to do, but also think about this...UGA might be GOING FOR 4 IN A ROW IN 2024!

Now if that is the situation we are talking all-time college football history. Legendary stuff!

Now in that scenario, if the 2024 season started right now or in Sep. 2024, who would we feel most comfortable with as our starting QB? Who would we want to lead us to win the 4th in a row? Beck, Vandergriff or Stockton?

I rest my case.

• Options

Are we for what is best for Beck, Vandergriff and Stockton or what is best for the team? Obviously what is best for the team in 2024 is to have Carson Beck back at QB. A first year starter in 2024 is not a good proposition for our Dawgs to win it all. To even win the SEC.

The schedule will be tougher, other SEC teams and nationally, teams have good QB's coming back or will have them transferring to the SEC .

With or without a tougher schedule, Beck back for another year is our best case scenario. He will only be better in 2024 too.

Pay the man!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2023

Exactly.

It is no knock on QB2 or QB3 or anyone else to say so. They're valuable, too, but what's best for the team?

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    busterchapbusterchap Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

College football is sick! It has been infected by NIL and the transfer portal! **** it!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Have y’all seen how many really good QBs are in the portal with plenty of game time. If Brock or Gunner were to transfer, they will already have negotiated their deals before entering the portal -tampering yes, but also reality.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Also future success is never guaranteed. Spencer Rattler was on the Heisman watchlist. As was JT and many others. Look at Caleb Williams. Had a very average year and probably lost $$$. He now is thinking of playing one more year at USC.

yes, Carson would be good for the dawgs in 24. But is that really the best for him.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

THere's a lot to be determined yet for CB and it all starts Saturday. Finish the season strong and his stock will rise. Don't and it will fall. THere certainly doesn't have to be a hurry to get to the NFL. There is a ton of dough difference from being the number 1 0r 2 QB taken compared to a 5th or 6th. He may choose to bet on himself and return if he were to plummet down the list so to speak.

While CB is far from being a statue, he's going to be a pocket passer in the NFL. THere is defnitely going to be a contrast/exhibition this Saturday between a pure pocket passer and a QB who can scramble like nobody's business. It may even decide the future of UGA's recruitng. Do they look to recruit the best "dual threat" guy or just the best passer in general?

If Milroe and BAMA beat UGA this Saturday it will be because Milroe's running ability was too much for our defense. If we can't stop him this year then how would we stop him next year? ( if we and they meet them again, provided we both make the playoffs?)

Maybe the only way you could beat them would be to have a true dual threat guy of your own or at least someone with SB capabilities or better.

I'm of course betting on CB to be able to do what he has all season, provided we have a healthy BB and LM. IF our defense can just limit Milroe's runs from being explosive big gainers then we win. If not, then we have to face the fact that BAMA will have beaten us again because of having a running QB and not because they had the best team.