Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Everything Georgia football coach Kirby Smart said after SEC championship loss to Alabama

SystemSystem Posts: 10,518 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageEverything Georgia football coach Kirby Smart said after SEC championship loss to Alabama

ATLANTA — Even after a disappointing loss to Alabama, Georgia head coach was still proud of his team.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They can’t beat Georgia without help from the refs.

• Options
    PlateauDawgPlateauDawg Posts: 43 ✭✭ Sophomore

Refs screwed us. But we were also beaten on both lines of scrimmage & outcoached across the board. So while Kirby is grading I hope he will take a look in the mirror. On to basketball.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

We got away from what worked on the first drive and it showed.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Dawgs actually Did play a pretty decent game in spite of injuries to our most critical players and biased officiating. Yes Biased officiating. 

Dawgs sacked Milroe Four times vs their only Twice on Beck. Dawgs had Eight Tackles For Loss vs Bama’s Seven. Beck had ( can’t remember the actual number) Significantly more passing yardage than Milroe. Beck was 21 of 29 attempts. 

Bama did have more yds rushing but not by a huge amount but Yes significantly more. What really killed our Dawgs was the fumble. 

On the missed FG, Woodring’s season long was 48 yds. it was a 50 yd. attempt. So if anyone can make their self feel better by picking on that kid have at it. 

And the failure to Review and ultimately call a No Catch on that Fourth down play Really Hurt the Dawgs BAD as Bama scored a TD on the second play after that. THEN the Biased Officials rub salt in the wound by Reviewing a Much More obvious catch by Arian Smith in the second half. 

TX beat Bama by a Higher score in regular season play. TX was ranked 7 coming in tonight and utterly Crushed OK St. So to Me it would be an utter travesty and injustice to let Nick Saban and his Tide in past TX just because he’s Nick Saban. 

Our Dawgs fought very, very hard. But Bowers looked like he was playing at less than 90% and McConkey might have been at about 80%. Both played courages in particular McConkey and deserve Tons and Tons of respect.

Beck threw for 245 yds. That’s not to shabby. Lastly we were missing Pop being on Defense in a Terrible way. He is a field general and if he could have played could have helped direct the young pups. The Real Truth is our Dawgs played their hearts out vs a much healthier Bama team and came up short. The injuries to To Many of our most critical players finally put the bite on us.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Both things can be, and are, true. It's true that Georgia didn't play their best game. It's also true that it still should have been good enough. In a game that was decided by three points, Alabama scored a touchdown on a drive that by rule belonged to Georgia. Not only did the officials not get it right, they didn't even try to. And that isn't the only example. Holding calls and other relative minutiae could go back and forth all day, but the most egregious and significant calls, as usual, all went in Bama's favor. Funny how injuries are generally considered an acceptable excuse* but one-sided officiating is brushed off.

*Not by me. Georgia was missing the leader of their defense, their second corner, their first-round OT, and their top two receivers were significantly limited. Unlike Bama fans, I don't care. That's the game. Every team has the whole season to build depth, and in the end, if you don't have it, you don't have it. Stacking up injuries at the wrong time is unfortunate, but as far as I'm concerned, no different than the bounce of the ball. Inept officiating that undeniably benefits one team at the other's expense over the course of the game is something altogether different. It's inexcusable. And as much as people want to write it off in one big platitude, it can and does affect the outcome. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy or anything. I think it's probably unconscious bias. But you can't tell me it doesn't warrant significant consideration in a game as close as this one.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beck's fumble was caused by him doing a "no-look" flip of the ball in what appeared to be some sort of sleight of hand move to try and fool Bama. I don't know if they practice it like that, but that's what led to the miscue there. And I'm glad everyone is "proud' of everyone and how they played, but I wish just one time after a loss someone would come up and say, "I'm highly (perturbed) that we lost and I ain't happy one bit. I came here to win and anything else is last place. I'm not happy with my or my teammates performance because, at the end of the day, it wasn't good enough." I wish someone would say that just one time, but they won't. Oh well, time to go cancel my Houston hotel reservations. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, with all the losing they've been doing they've had plenty of chances to get the messaging right. Just once...

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

A lot of things happened in the game that were questionable. The bottom line is that Georgia can not beat Alabama in the SEC championship game or the dome. Atlanta is considered Alabama's home turf and not Georgia. This has marked the fourth time Kirby and his top recruiting classes let Alabama come into their backyard and leave with a victory that knocked them out of the playoffs. Yeah, they could be one of the four best teams, but they should have shown it against Alabama by winning. Now Kirby is begging to get into the playoff talks when other teams win their conference championship to put them in position to be the top 4. Yes, it is hard to win in the SEC, but Bama has shown they can do it on the big stage in the SEC when it counts and Georgia has not whenever they play Alabama. Alabama spoiled Georgia's season again by putting them in their place.