Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Latest Georgia football loss to Alabama should serve as a reminder of how ‘tough’ winning can be

SystemSystem Posts: 10,488 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageLatest Georgia football loss to Alabama should serve as a reminder of how ‘tough’ winning can be

ATLANTA — Even after back-to-back national championships and a 29-game win streak, Smael Mondon sported the same look that past Georgia greats have worn in the moments following a loss to Alabama.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

Georgia has been called the new standard in college football because of the winning streak and two national championships. As a Georgia fan, I hate to say it...until Georgia can beat Alabama with some consistency with Nick Saban as the coach, they cannot be the top dog in the SEC football. Alabama has shown time and time again that they are the best team in the SEC.

• Options
    Louis8478Louis8478 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2023

I knew we were in trouble when Bama scored before halftime. It just felt different. CKS just got out coached by Nick again. I'm sure CKS is taking this loss harder than anyone. I'm sure there are a lot of ESPN personnel that are glad they lost.

• Options
    SnakeScott13SnakeScott13 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭ Junior

Out coached and Out played . No excuses needed .

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

You would think this is an Ohio state site the way some here are making excuses.

we got beat. Plain and simple.

we couldn’t make the most of opportunities when they were presented.

we made “boneheaded” mistakes

our lines were outplayed

and worst of all we were out coached on both sides of the ball. the worst game I’ve seen Uga play in terms of lack of adjustments

im not calling for heads after one game but if Uga goes 10-2 or worse next season I will be. And with our schedule we’re going to have make changes or it will happen

we lose a lot of our DBs and I’m not impressed with what’s behind them and it’s clear our entire LB corps is in trouble

Brock is gone.

Ladd may come back and Carson will but I don’t know if that’s the best thing.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“If you’re going to tell me somebody sitting in that committee room and doesn’t think that Georgia team is one of the best four teams, I don’t know if they’re in the right profession because it’s a really good football team,” Smart said. “It’s a really talented football team. It’s a really balanced football team. So, they have to make that decision, but it’s the best four teams, and that’s critical.”.......after watching Michigan struggle with a two lose Iowa, is there anyone who knows football really thing they could beat Georgia or Alabama? They would be out scored by Washington and Teaxs......Florida State is a joke in a comical conference but I'm sure it will be Big Blue #1, Washington #2, FSU #3 and Texas #4.....with The Husky's or Longhorn's winning the Natty.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Smart and his staff are going to have to find a way to keep more starters healthy. I’m sure that’s easier said than done, and there may not be a feasible way to do it, but I think that was the clearest difference maker in last night’s game. I know every team has to deal with injuries, but it seems like year after year UGA has it with the best players at the most inopportune times. There’s no better recruiter than Kirby Smart, and there’s no one better at developing elite talent than him and his staff. But it seems like every starter on the team is dealing with a foot or ankle injury at some point in the season year after year!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@GtheGreek

I don’t disagree with you (or Kirby Smart) on that! I think when the committee refers to the “best four teams” criteria, they’re performing their own slight-of-hand illusion that will end with giving us something different. They’re determining factors will differ from what you and I would use. Not all conference championships are equal when you consider the SEC had 5 teams in the top 15 going into this weekend. That is a reflection of what Alabama and UGA had to face to get there, and what FSU didn’t. Strangely enough, I think Alabama’s loss to Texas will hurt UGA’s chances to get in more than it does Alabama’s!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great, another freaking loss next season, but coming a whole lot sooner.

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2023

Tough loss to take but not surprising. I remember thinking before the season started that our strength of schedule was weak, that we could potentially lose to Auburn and/or Tennessee or Ole Miss. But we didn't thankfully. However, beating those teams did not mean that we were as strong and talented as the previous two years. So we won out and extended the winning streak to 29 games. No small feat. I don't know what it is but there are a few teams that have our number. Over the years we have had a propensity to lose games in the last minute to Alabama, Auburn, Florida and Tennessee on big plays. Bama has consistently stuffed us like that over the years. This year was no different though yesterday's game was probably won in the 2nd quarter. The Dawgs made a valiant effort but it was not good enough. This is Bobo's 2nd stint at the OC job. At the end of his first stint he had developed into an effective playcaller. Then he went to do the head coach thing at Colorado State. That did not go too well, it was a program that had a history of bottom dweller. So he came back via a brief stint at Auburn. I've noticed a pattern of playcalling this year that I had seen him do when he was here and first started doing the playcalling. For some reason run is his most preferred call on first down. Any opponent should know that from game film. So, they are ready for it and our first down production is probably pretty low. It is like giving up a down, like working with 3 downs instead of 4, aka Canadian Football League. It might not hurt every once in a while to call a pass play on first down and see what happens. LOL Mix it up. Be a bit unpredictable. And as someone else has observed, at the goal line, why hand off? or why not try a rpo or dink pass on occasion? I am glad that our schedule is going to change which should strengthen our schedule. This should make things more interesting. Thanks Dawgs for another great year! Didn't quite make it, but you were in the hunt all the way and played some great games.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So many great comments on here, but I'll build on two of them:

First and foremost l, a HUGE "thanks" to the Dawgs for a great season of football. While many are rightfully bemoaning the Bama loss (as I am), if you'd told me at the beginning of the year we'd be undefeated during the regular season AND we'd shellack Ole Miss and Tennessee (at Neyland, no less) by many touchdowns, I'd have been skeptical. Hopeful, but skeptical. Every one of my UGA GameDay Saturdays was a good day this year, so (again): thanks!

Secondly, I'm surprised to see all the negativity about the UGA O. Honestly, if the defense hadn't let Bama run all over them AND we hadn't gotten pinned back with poor field position multiple times, this becomes a very different game yesterday. I see the doomsday thinking in several posts, but I personally believe we'll be fine given the amazing team CKS has assembled. Get a dominant D back, and we get back to the top.

Have a great bowl season, all!