Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Social media reacts to Georgia football, Florida State being left out of College Football Playoff

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageSocial media reacts to Georgia football, Florida State being left out of College Football Playoff

ATHENS — Georgia’s championship hopes have officially been extinguished. The Bulldogs came in at No. 6 in the final College Football Playoff rankings.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Look, lets face it - the past 2 games we did not play anywhere NEAR our best. GA Tech is good, but not THAT good and we played at a "B" level for us against Bama and you can't do that and Win. This was NOT a "heartbreaker". We can't say that "we should've won". They beat us. They beat us a lot more than a 3 point deficit. Heck, they were fast on their way to scoring a TD and decided to let time expire. You go back in time and replay that game and 3 out of 4 times Bama beats us. There's plenty of blame to go around that doesn't involve the officials.

I know it'll take some time to accept but I think things worked out the way they should've. Florida State is whining right now, but if we (and we freaking better!) put the smack down on them in the Orange Bowl, they won't be complaining about their "perfect season" and "being left out". You want to play Georgia - you got them. Beat us and prove that you deserve what you claim.

The SEC champion HAD to go into the playoffs, they just had to. Bama only losing to #3 Texas means that even with their typical "Bama Comeback" against a weak Auburn they needed to be in the Top 4. It's interesting to imagine whether we would've been #4 (even though the committee picked Florida State at #5) had Bama not made that pass to beat Auburn.

So, if everything plays out then I think things will be where they need to be. Yeah, having an 6 or 8 team playoff would've been REALLY REALLY nice this year, but oh well. Michigan plays Bama and hopefully destroys them (hopefully!) and we hopefully destroy Florida State. That eliminates the pressure from Florida State fans and even if Bama does wind up beating Michigan then the committee is proven right that they are one of the Top 4 and you could see a Rematch of Texas vs Bama in the National Championship game which will be heavily desired by most people (especially the media).

Who knows, we could even wind up #2 (like we did in 2007) or #3 depending on things play out.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

FSU straight up got royally jobbed. The last time OSU won the championship, their starting QB was out before the game and they won with a backup - why wouldn’t FSU not be capable of doing the same thing? To say they aren’t as good of a team without their starting QB - well no kidding, but no team is as good without their best player or multiple of their best players banged up. You still play on. Always going to be this way and the expanded playoff won’t fix it either - it will make it less obvious and ridiculous, but will still miss on some. #13 and #14 will make their cases, etc.

Same way when UGA was left out in 2019 for ND/Oklahoma; none of the reasons the committee gave made any sense and were so contradictory to other decisions they made.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Finish #3 or # 20? Doesn’t matter if you don’t finish #1. We will lose this game. Most of their players will play to prove a point. Most of ours will opt out=quit and we’ll lose because most of our starters are gone. 12-1 with nothing to show for it.

Once again, they can’t beat us without help from the refs.

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

Anyone in the South knows the committee will do anything they can to make sure Alabama gets in. FSU got jobbed. As far as we go everyone knew it was win or go home yesterday. IMO our Defense was without a great D-Line this year. Couldn't rush the passer and was not up to UGA standards in stopping the run. I say get over it. No.1 class next year should help the D and we'll be better. I'm surprised they didn't also try to slip Ohio State in somewhere. Playoff selection will always be this way. Someone is gonna be left out.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

CONGRATULATIONS......to Nick Saban for his 8th Natty and The Crimson Tide for #7......there is no where in GOD'S green earth that Big Blue has a prayer and I'm thinkin that The Longhorns will dispatch The Husky's to set up the retribution match of the decade, which Bama will dominate. So, the season will end and The Dawgs who have been the #1 BEST team in America for two years can claim to be the #2 team in 2023.....and OUR future looks even brighter in 2024!!! PROUD of OUR DAWGS and the run we've had.....our run for 30 wins starts with a beat down on The Semi Noles! GOOOO DAWG'S, SICEM!!!!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023
  • Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeah I believe that Georgia is one of the best four teams. I'm not even a Florida State fan but man they got screwed over bad. There is no way Alabama would have dropped from first to 6th...

• Options
    SufferinginAtlantaSufferinginAtlanta Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior

Funny. About four years ago I heard a national sports announcer get asked, "When will they expand the football playoffs?" He said, without hesitation, "When Alabama doesn't get in the top four." Sure enough. They don't get in last year and suddenly it's expanded. This year they make an unprecedented jump from 8 to 4 and bypass an undefeated conference champion. Unbelievable.

• Options
    YankeeDawg64YankeeDawg64 Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

TCU lost its conference champ last year and got in! Ga, same situation....and goose!

We can see how good the 'committee' has been in the past. I hope bama smoke's harbaugh.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

How in the H-E-L-L do you take TWO 1 loss teams over an undefeated conference champion? You can argue the acc is a weak conference, but to go undefeated, and win your conference is still better than what both Bama, and Texas accomplished. The CFP committee "experts" are obviously owned by espn also. That's the ncaa for you..clueless. If I was a FSU fan I'd be far beyond livid. I hope Bama loses by 3 TD's against cheater harbaugh, and Texas does the same vs Washington.. Just to prove these CLOWNS have no idea what they are doing. Michigan vs Washington for all the marbles..

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

I wonder how many seniors or juniors going in the draft will show up for this.

if I’m a 2nd round or better pick I’m not risking injury for the south Florida participation trophy.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Give any other team the exact same season that Bama just had, and see how far they get in their playoff campaigning. The committee would take one look and say, "We've got three undefeated conference champions. We've got another 1-loss conference champ who beat you soundly on your home field. And you want us to let you in because... why, again?? Yeah, no, we're good."

They're not even trying to hide it at this point.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Smart and Norvell.....and, Sankey...ought to turn their game into a "Co-National Championship Game".

Get all the players from both sides, to buy into the "Co-Natty" narrative. Turn CFB and the media empire on it's head...with a credible claim to a share of the National Championship, for the winner of the Orange Bowl.

They want "debate"???....Give em something to really debate. Lol

Especially if "Cheatin' Michigan" wins it all...then, has to forfeit later due to several Level 1 violations. The winner of the UGA vs FSU game would become sole Champion.

Lol...ya gotta love it, when...."hypocrisy" and "bias" doesn't even try to hide, anymore. That's the society we've created...where, you aren't to believe your "lyin eyes".

CFP Committee to CFB...."Just go along....cause, we said so and you have no recourse. There are bills to pay and palms to grease.". Lol

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The committee can't decide if they want the 4 best or 4 most deserving or let's try and be fair or politically correct. TCU getting in last year and playing a sloppy Michigan team before getting destroyed by Georgia in the largest point margin differential of 58 points. The year before it was Cincinnati and prior years with the darling Notre Dame.

Alabama will destroy Michigan and Texas will beat Washington. Honestly I think both Georgia and Florida State would pulverize Michigan.

We had our opportunity to get in but didn't handle business. The illegal motion on the field goal ended up making that 5 yards costly but I think the biggest one was the 4th down play were the incompetent referee's gave Alabama a completion and first down on a dropped pass which lead to a Tide TD. Unfortunately, Incompetent officials are a part of almost every game and you have to be able to overcome their incompetence!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Yeah, your last point is generally true. But having spent the last two years listening to people try to diminish Georgia's biggest wins over much less legitimate mitigating factors (injuries being randomly distributed and under a team's control to manage to at least some extent), I have a hard time letting go of the fact that lousy officiating resulted in a touchdown in a game that was decided by 3 points. And it wasn't just that. There are several other obvious examples (not just holding and stuff that we could go back and forth all day about, but distinctly bad and costly calls) that, while not having the same direct effect on the outcome of the game, were indicators that Georgia was one again going to have to beat both Bama and the refs.

If it's a law of averages thing, I can live with that. But I'm trying to think of the last time Georgia was clearly and significantly aided by the officials in a major, tightly contested game, or the last time Bama played in such a game and wasn't the team that benefited. Can anyone tell me when that was?

Anyway, I went ahead and upvoted your comment because I liked how you acknowledged that two things can be true at the same time. It's true that Georgia played a relatively poor game and missed on their opportunities to win it. It's also true that they were put at a disadvantage that had nothing to do with how either team played. After 29 straight wins and consecutive national titles, I personally find the latter far more frustrating.

• Options
    CdjdawgCdjdawg Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

Michigan will beat Bama by 14.

• Options

And...non-calla on Bama.

The missed "face mask penalty" on Bama against Edwards.

The so-called "horse-collar" that was actually one of the best tackles in the game...from either side. 15 yarder that extended a Bama drive. AGAIN!

Seems like these pivotal Referee miscues are highlighted everytime Bama is involved in a "big game", where they are over-matched underdogs. There is a cancer in SEC Officiating.

Division 1 CFB....What is it now?...A multi-billion dollar industry controlled by....whom exactly. More money is transferred on these College Games, than you could possibly imagine...on betting alone.

Why would we think FBS Football is on the up-and-up? Lol...they managed to keep an antiquated Bowl System in place, in lieu of a Playoff...long past it's shelf life. Mostly because of dark money and the discreet control of a few.

IMO....CFB is being manipulated like a Chess board by an unidentified power base...[ESPN/Disney maybe]. The Teams, Players, Coaches and Fans are the game pieces being manipulated to squeeze as much cash as possible out of Universities, their Students and Fanbases.

• Options

I couldn't care less about the so-called College Football Playoff, anymore.

As far as I'm concerned...the National Champion will be the Winner of the Orange Bowl. Either, a 1-loss UGA or an Undefeated FSU.

UGA's 1-loss came in a postseason Championship game against the SEC's 2nd best. Bama and Texas lost games during the regular season. The Dawgs beat 2 of the CFP's top 12 Teams [Ole Miss & Mizzou]. Both teams...UGA & FSU...have a leg to stand on and both Coaches have credibility...so, I hope they make the claim.

The winner of the Orange Bowl game would have a legitimate claim to a share of the Natty. They should start marketing the game like that. It would carry a helluva lot more weight than the Natty claimed by an undefeated UCF, several years back, when they were ignored by the Committee. Lol

Texas & Bama...or UGA & FSU? Which 2 teams would you want to play?. Lol....yeah...FSU and Texas. But, they would have never put 2 SEC teams in the CFP...Again..

Appeasement was the order of the day, going into next year's Super-Conferences and 12 Team CFP....and remarkably...the ACC got left out, when the music stopped. They SHOULD be pissed, IMO.

Why does "Bama & Texas" get the benefit of the doubt? If either team lost their starting QB...they would NOT be the same team. As has been proven. There's nothing projecting or guaranteeing that Milroe and Ewer won't sustain an injury that prevents em from playing in the CFP. If that were to happen, they can't go back and make FSU whole for snubbing em over a QB injury.

Yet, the Committee seems to be able to predict future play. They essentially put FSU's entire team success on the shoulders of one player. The ironic thing, is that...of all the teams in the CFP and FSU...UGA is the only one, with an adequate if not great, backup quarterback. The impact of losing Beck would not be as critical to UGA as would Bama losing Milroe or Texas losing Ewer....or, Washington losing their Heisman Candidate, Michael Penix.

Funny, the "Committee" projected what FSU would look like without it's QB...yet, it DID NOT project what UGA would look like with a healthy WR and LB Room, at the end of December. I mean...if you're gonna project...then, do it for...and against....everybody...equally.

Apparently, the only impact losing their QB, had on FSU...was in the perception of CFP Committee members. Just goes to show...they pay more attention to "The Hype" than they do the game. You should have to be able to pass a test created by a Committee of Coaches...before you can serve on the CFPC.

And, don't get me started on crooked officiating. I've seen enough. Too much to discuss.

• Options
    DAWGHOUNDDAWGHOUND Posts: 23 ✭✭ Sophomore

They keep saying the best 4 teams the best 4 teams , not the most improved teams. You can't leave someone out that has an undefeated record to a one loss team and there were two of them so Texas was ranked 3 does that mean they are better than Alabama? I am a Dawg through and through win or lose. If it was up to me and I was Florida State I would protest the playoffs and not go. I know there are millions of dollars at stake but the principle of the thing. Florida States doesn't hinge on one player sure they were sharper with their regular Quarterback but they still won the last two games with the Rodemaker. The whole rest of the team was still there , the defense was still there , the kicking team was still there, the receivers were still there, I think they made a big mistake not putting Florida Sate in the Final 4.

• Options
    edited December 2023

FSU had a whole month to fix their QB situation. An undefeated P5 Team, deserves the benefit of the doubt. They EARNED it.

If it was Clemson Vice FSU...??? Lol...what do you think the Committee would've done. They're full of shiit. They were pressured...I have no doubt. It's practically impossible to have any faith in Committees and Politicians, anymore.

There are no checks and balances. No recourse. Nobody to hold accountable...and, nobody to hold em accountable if there were. Hell...I hope Kirby starts cheating like hell. He's gonna have to, to get a fair shake, as long as ESPN, OSU, Saban and Harbaugh are around. Lol