Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart issues official statement on playing Georgia-Florida State Orange Bowl

SystemSystem Posts: 10,536 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart issues official statement on playing Georgia-Florida State Orange Bowl

ATHENS — Georgia will be heading down to Miami to end its season, as the Bulldogs were selected to play in the Orange Bowl.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Absolutely no chance Kirby made that statement. Some hack from the PR section of the Athletic Department put that out. It’s 15 more practices to evaluate the the younger players for next year. Anyone betting on this game, or worse, buying tickets, deserves what they get.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh goodie! I can’t wait!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

both teams will play some non draftees. And will not resemble their respective 2023 squads.

• Options
    CharlestonDawgFanCharlestonDawgFan Posts: 91 ✭✭✭ Junior

While frustrating as a UGA fan, no doubt FSU feels robbed. Can’t imagine how their team and fans feel. Hopefully UGA comes out and takes care of business. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 167 ✭✭✭ Junior

If anyone watched the Louisville / FSU game it was clearly plain to see FSU is not a top 4 team. It is what it is

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The spread says it all. 13 points. You can whine all you want, but that is the truth. A higher ranked team shouldn't be expected to lose by 2 TDs in their home state. I mean, do you really think Florida State would be expected to win against ANY of the Top 4? What would the spread have been against Michigan? 21+ points?

Get over it Florida State. You have your matchup, so you can talk AFTER beating Georgia. Georgia has a way of shutting down and shutting up whiney "we are undefeated" teams.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Smart and Norvell...along with Sankey and the ACC Commissioner should turn this game into....A CO-National Championship Game.

The winner would have a "Legitimate Claim" to a share of the Natty. Maybe more...if Michigan wins it all and has to forfeit later, due to a number of Level 1 violations.

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

Start the entire senior class including the walk-ons.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have to say the FSU Coach makes some legit points. I mean during the regular season if you beat a supposedly better team as deemed by the “experts” by a FG and go undefeated only for The Committee to decide some other team is better than you that has a loss what use is there to compete ?

In the case of FSU the Committee decided not one but Two one loss teams were better. Now just for a moment pretend that was UGA undefeated.

I can clearly see Id be so angry Id probably mess around and have a heart attack !! And I’ve heard numerous times Right Here on this site “Champions find a way to win”. Well even without their starting QB this FSU team found a way to win.

NO I’m not a Noles fan, I’m just having empathy for them if that had been UGA. As long as it’s legal I thought a win was a win, even if by a two point safety. But as of Today that’s a Big Lie.

Using the Same logic that The Committee used to keep FSU out then the Dawgs should be In over Bama. Why ?? Because the Dawgs beat common opponents by a larger margin than Bama.

If you want to go past that Dawgs scored Much More points over all on the season so Bama beats a very banged up and injured Dawgs team by 3 points in one game and Poof their magically better !! Nope.

How things Should have been for the sake of Both UGA and FSU and other teams is Conference Championships should have been played at the end of Dec. Giving ALL teams an opportunity to get some injured guys back. Had That happened the Dawgs would have devastated Bama and showed who Really Is the better team.

What it boils down to is The Committee is penalizing teams for having injuries. Which in the long run is just Another effort to water down college football. Eventually by proxy that will bleed over into the NFL. There was a great opportunity to do the playoffs right but once again politics got into it. Sad. But it id what it is I suppose. So Go Dawgs beat them Noles !!

• Options

My Big Hope is that Bama Will beat MI, TX will beat WA. Then Bama lose Again to TX. That would be such blissful happiness for me !! I’d dearly love it !! All I want for Christmas is a Dawgs win over the Noles and a Tide loss to TX !! One can always Hope !!😀

• Options
    Georgia67Georgia67 Posts: 143 ✭✭✭ Junior

Reposting this from a thread before the final CFP rankings were posted. Obviously, there are no metrics to evaluate the teams. There is only opinion and influence from lobbyists.

From earlier today:

The CFP is equally if not more flawed than the BCS. I'd like to know what metrics, after wins and losses, have been used to evaluate teams. If it's simply opinions then my point is proven.

Michigan, Washington, and Florida State remain undefeated. All three should be in the CFP. End of discussion. 

By ranking to date the best one-loss teams are Georgia, Texas, Ohio State, and Alabama. One of these teams should be the fourth team in the CFP. 

The fourth team should be the best one-loss team based on the CFP metrics. The fourth team should not be determined based on one performance. 

To promote Alabama from #8 to # 4, and leapfrog Ohio State, Texas, and Georgia, based on one performance is rubbish. Or, worse yet, simply because they are Alabama and the SEC Champion. To do so would totally negate the ranking system used to date. It would be a profound statement of subjectivity, bias, and disrespect.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

"To promote Alabama from #8 to # 4, and leapfrog Ohio State, Texas, and Georgia, based on one performance is rubbish. Or, worse yet, simply because they are Alabama and the SEC Champion. To do so would totally negate the ranking system used to date. It would be a profound statement of subjectivity, bias, and disrespect."_______@Georgi67

Yep!....agree 100%. Shoulda' been Michigan, Washington, FSU and UGA...by every standard set before today. Now....They got some 'splainin' to do. And...not a leg to stand on.

It doesn't surprise me that this CFP was being used to kickoff next year's "Super Conferences"....with "Bama & Texas" representing the SEC....And, "Michigan & Washington" representing the BIG10. Should have been UGA....but, they had Saban and "Texas money" breathing down their neck. Lol...politics...smh.

• Options

Thanks for posting this info. !! I honestly believe that the ESPN folks have Now and have had Before an extremely heavy hand in influencing these decisions. They Dearly Love Savan and if there’s any way on this earth to get him in their gonna lobby for that.

Saban himself was Aggressively and very Publicly lobbying to be in the Playoffs BEFORE he and his team even played the Dawgs. Almost like he knew for a fact they would win ??

Now let’s play like when we were little kids and say “ tend like”. Tend like it was the other way around and Bama was #1 and UGA at #8. Then the Dawgs win. There is absolutely NO WAY that the committee would boot Bama out of the play offs. Ain’t gonna happen. And a Equally NO WAY they would promote UGA from #8 to #4 to let the Dawgs in.

But I must say FSU got treated even worse !! Dawgs fans need to Stop for just a brief moment and Think what if that had been undefeated Dawgs ??

And to be honest I’m kind of shocked at the Love and Respect that Saban gets even Right Here from Some ( not nearly All but to many) Dawgs fans !! I wonder if they realize that we as Dawgs fans have a long time having to listen to the Gumps talk about how their Better than our Dawgs ??

But I challenge Anyone to just Go Back and compare the One Regular Season Loss Bama’s margin of victory in all their games collectively vs the Dawgs margin of victory collectively. Especially vs Common Opponents.

So they beat a extremely beat up Dawgs team with help from the Refs by 3 points and the Committee says their better. Yeah Sure, Sure. Right. 🙄 Wrong !! FSU and Dawgs were screwed over Big Time !! I’m Hoping So Much that Bama and TX will have a rematch and TX will utterly crush Bama. That is my big Hope !!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Likewise, anyone with the stamina to have watched Big Blue struggle with the Iowa D knows they are not a top four team.....having 104,000 ravenous crazy fans sometimes pays off, Bama will prove the point in the Rose Bowl....signs or no signs....Milroe will show Corum and Edwards how to run the rock and he'll show McCarthy how to throw the deeeeeep ball.

Norvell, you and the Semi-noles can prove to the world you were indeed worthy.....after all you did beat the #9 team in the SEC and you did beat a Not Ready for Prime Time LSU to start the season.....no one would beat a dime that you could beat them now.....Just strap it on, maybe with TP QB and beat The Dawgs in sunny Miami and you've made your point.

• Options

On another thread I was lectured extensively by a person about how I look Ignorant putting Any blame on the Refs for the Dawgs loss.

OK even though I was Regular Navy and saw people from many different cultures, religions, social-economic backgrounds etc. etc. I dined with people in utter poverty and dined with people who were mega wealthy, though I’m certainly not.

I’ll play Naive and say that people are Always fair and unbiased. Just look at our govt. you Know ALL them folks are very fair and unbiased. Especially in sports. Refs are Always fair and unbiased. MI didn’t really steal signs. Pete Rose didn’t really gamble on his team etc. etc.

So for those of you who Really believe that please get in touch with me I have some nice watches for sale, some prime property, etc. etc. 🙄

A few years back vs Saban an offsides call on the Dawgs might have stole the game from the Dawgs. Later I read where the Official that by then had retired, said if he could he’d have probably called it different. Oh how convenient for him in retirement !! But he’s just trying to be Fair and Unbiased.

Sort of like the officiating crew in the more recent vs GT game were Just being fair and unbiased. Double 🙄🙄

For all my veteran friends here a phrase I’m sure they’ll recognize “Hey Joe you want buy nice watch ?? I sell Cheap, Cheap You Joe” 😂 Them street vendors So fair and unbiased.

• Options

Funny thing about recording games. You can actually See again, how the Refs didn’t stop the game to review a No Catch on a fourth down that two plays later resulted in a Bama TD. But they were just trying to be Fair and Unbiased.

Then in the second half the Refs Did stop and review a Much More obvious catch by Arian Smith. You know to give the Bama Defense time to catch their breath and regroup. But Hey they were Only trying to be Fair and Unbiased. Like with the call on Bullard for horse collar ( which Gene Santorie a former Chief Review Officer said he Wouldn’t have called) but No Call by the Refs for face mask on Milton.

But I can rest easy because I know those Refs were just trying to be Fair and Unbiased. Funny how that Fair and Unbiased thing works. 🤪

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I really believe Saban is retiring after this year and they will do their darndest to send him out with one final Natty.