Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers following SEC championship, College Football Playoff decision

SystemSystem Posts: 10,515 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football winners and losers following SEC championship, College Football Playoff decision

Loser: The College Football Playoff committee

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They can’t beat Georgia without help from the refs.

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Alabama ALLWAYS get the majority of the calls / no calls no matter who they are playing. Saturday was no exception.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe the biggest factor was the number of injured starters:

-When Mims went out of the game with his injury it changed the dynamic of the offense.

-With Bowers and McConkey unable to go full speed and the absence of Thomas, it seemed like no one was able to get separation to open up the passing game.

-The fumble happened on a play where McConkey normally gets a pitch while sweeping around behind the QB, but it looked like Bell was looking for a hand-off when Beck pitched it back. If McConkey was healthy they would have run that play with him.

-Mondon was limited by injury and Sorey had to come in and play a lot in the second half, so there was a lot of inexperienced linebackers playing.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think an * should be put on Bobo/offense, blame the injuries if you want to, but yet again play calling went extremely vanilla yet again against Bama. Bamas defense is not superior by any means, but yet we seem to want to go out and try to run the ball at them, ALL GAME LONG. Yeah I know it hurts with the injuries, but why did we go after Lovett, and why do we have the fastest WR in the country that we don't use? Either there's zero extra reps between Beck/Lovett/Smith, or Bobo didn't want to show his hand too much just-in-case we snuck in the playoff. Either way, it makes no sense. We can't ride the injury excuse bus like Bama does. This was poor play calling. "8-9 guys in the box, yeah let's run it". I want to so badly blame the whole ref situation, but we also shouldn't have been down to those 1-2 plays to begin with. Either way, I'm proud of this team. They beat 1 Bama record that saban will never top, didn't come close. Feel nothing but disgust for these guys and the FSU guys. Lay it all on the line just for CFP(bama/osu) committee to slap them in the face and say "you're not good enough".

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Silly to say Bobo/Bobo playing calling is a "Loser". Look at the breakdown of recent recruiting classes. Bama actually has more potential for talent than Dawgs when you look at 5 star and 4 stars. These were really evenly matched teams and it showed with the edge going to Bama along the offensive lines of scrimmage - particularly their O-line vs our D-line. CKS always says that any play, if executed properly, can result in an explosive. ANY play. Bama out executed us slightly more than we did. It's just that simple. I do believe/think the 4th down "reception" was a huge bust for SEC crew. Probably one of top 3 reasons we lost. However, we still had our chances and didn't get it done.

Blaming Bobo is a lazy analysis to be sure.

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

Call it for what it is. It's the College Football Invitational not playoff.

• Options
    LawDawg23LawDawg23 Posts: 14 ✭✭ Sophomore

I agree with doubledawg1990, blaming Bobo is a cheap shot. When the opposing team is controlling the line of scrimmage, success with anything in the playbook will be limited.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 373 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Loser was the coaching. We started very strong and had a fired up team and then changed what we were doing. And when you can’t run up the middle, stop trying to run up the middle. Who among us wasn’t hollering the question “Why?!”.

Our defense did nothing to stop runs to the outside for the 4th straight game and the most egregious of all, how do you not call timeout to review that non-catch? Even close it should have been looked at. Were you saving the timeout for some secret reason? You can’t take them with you. That was bad, bad coaching and yes, it did make a difference. You can say “Oh, they played better than us” but a stop on fourth down that prevents a touchdown was the difference, regardless of what else happened.

Bad offensive and defensive coaching and game management.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 946 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike Bobo is a very good OC......carrot cake is also very good but to make it GREAT you got to top it with real cream cheese icing, again I say hire Buster Faulkner as co-offensive coordinator to add creativity and a roll the dice attitude.....plus we have the position covered when Mike decides to step away.

Proud to be a Dawg.....B/R in Athens, class of 76.......BEAT The Noles and refocus on 30 straight! I for one can't wait to see MORE of AE3...Anthony Evans III !

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I said before the game, Georgia will have to beat Bama by more than 10-points because the SEC officials are always worth at least 7- 10 points for Alabama. Georgia will never beat Alabama in a one-score game as long as the SEC officials keep giving Bama extra possessions and allowing their DB's to maul Georgia's receivers. When they finally did call PI, the announcer said, "they didn't get away with it that time. "

I felt that Georgia was in trouble after the Georgia Tech game - with Bowers and McConkey out it was the first game when Beck passed for less than 250. That showed that without them, as well as Rara Thomas, it was a vastly diminished offense.

I put no blame on Bobo. Look at the first drive, Bowers came out and the Bama defense had to defend the whole field - as far as they knew, Bobo had all of his weapons. Then McConkey comes in and catches a pass. As the game progressed, McConkey starts limping around, and it was easy to see that Bowers was not close to 100%. After that there was no need for the Bama defense to fear the passing game, just key on the run, because knew the offense wasn't strong enough in the passing game.

Georgia still did enough to win the game. Take that 7-points off the board on the non-catch 4th down (that always gets reviewed) and it's still a game that Georgia can win.

The Bama DB's were hitting Bowers and McConkey early on many pass plays, and the officials allowed it. The horse-collar call was complete BS, also.

I'm still proud of this team, and I know they are good enough to deserve to be included in the 4-team playoffs.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 401 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Loser, Kirby. Vanilla defensive alignment that allowed milroe all the time in the world. Forget the rest, it was coaching this time.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Too many close games against Bama over the years that could or should have gone the other way. Too many spoiled dreams and goals crushed by Saban. They are our nemesis, no doubt about it. Maybe we'll get a little revenge in Tuscaloosa next season. I'd rather have lost to Vandy.

I said last week that this game was going to be the biggest test so far of Kirby's career as head coach here. I just knew how battle worn we were, and how hungry those Saban boys were.

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Very politically correct decision from the committee. In so many ways. It's probably what the TV execs wanted. Always follow the money.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Winners are the UGA Alum and Fans who support this "Great Program". Perfection is hard, I see many things in the prism but whining won't change a thing. I personally don't like the 12 team playoff, it adds two additional games for teams 5 thru 12. I believe 8 teams would give the best programs a fair shot, but, there will always be unknowns in the game, officiating, coaching, turnovers, etc.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@ Navydawg

God be with you Brother, enjoy the one thing you can still do and enjoy it. Until people have walked in your shoes they sometime don't understand, yes the world has changed, lot of folks like us understand sacrifice and commitment. Sadly there are a lot that don't. Trust me, there are a lot of us out there, they call us the silent majority, so long as we're here and faith is present we are in good hands.

Thank you and every other Veteran and their families for the sacrifices you've made. I know it's off topic so that's all I'm going to say. Have peace navydawg and others in your situation.

Back on topic, Go Dawgs!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ok people, I understand freedom of expression, but if you vote down that they can’t beat Georgia without help from the refs, you must be a troll fan of some other sorry school or don’t know the facts. I know Georgia played awful, but a game shouldn’t be decided by the zebras, only the players on the field. Go Dawgs!

And this group of playoff committee members should all be fired for not following the guidelines and rules. 4 best teams? Please. Not even close. If any fsu fans are on this sight, you can blame the refs from our game as another reason they were left out. If Georgia had won, fsu probably would have gotten in because the Texas win over that team to our west would not look as good.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The game was a very even game in terms of all the stats-total yards, time of possession, 1st downs etc.

The game basically swung on a few key plays not made . THe penalty that backed the FG try up 5 yards. We couldnt cover the weheel route by our young LB. THe 3rd and 1 we couldn't convert by running Dajon. The fumbled exchange by BEck and Bell, a false start by Brock Bowers and of course the incomplete pass by BAMA that was ruled a catch that the Replay Booth couldn't be bothered by to review! And then we couldn't contain Milroe the last possession of the game.

Bobo came out guns blazing with 4-4 passing for 57 yards the first drive. THe next possession it was 0-3 passing and punt. The next possession was 3 straight runs and punt. Very imaginative,right.

The next possession was going splendidly with CB running for 8 yards for a 1st down to the Bama 19 after CB had gone 3-4 passing for 31 yards. Here is where Bobo went back to default mode when we had them reeling, 2 straight runs by Milton for 0 yards! How many time did we see this all year that stopped good drives when we had been passing it? Now it's 3rd and 10 and BEck gets sacked. Then the false start on a FG try? Seriously?

We spent over 7 minutes on the clock and came away with nothing! Ouch!

Our RB's averaged less than 2 yards per carry if you take out the one MIlton run for 16 on the first drive. A smidgen over 2 yards if you factor it in. Our passing game averaged 10+ yards per completion. We ran the ball 29 times by design and threw it 29 times! BAlanced yay!

Without the misques and the bad call by the ref perhaps we find a way to win.

I said days ago we wouldn't beat Bama by playing bully ball running it. Our best bet was CB throwing it around. We needed less mistakes and about 6-7 more Beck pass completions and 5-6 fewer runs. IF Beck goes 27-37 for 310, we win. He wasn't given a chance.

He was supposed to be a top 5 or 6 Heisman finalist but he didn't even get to have 30 attempts. Shame.

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2023

@Connor Riley

So Mike Bobo is a "loser"???........let me guess, he should have called for a pass when we ran and ran the ball when we passed.

Is that about right??

If so:

1) what defense was Bama in on those occasions?

2) what was the offensive game plan going into the game & did it change when Mims went out?

3) did Bobo call those plays, did Beck call them, did Beck audible out of them??

4) Did the receiver situation affect the play calling??

All basic questions you should know the answers to before you label someone a "loser".

From my seat, plays work when they are executed......and all plays do not work. Pretty sure you got most of this right when you said this;

"Georgia lost on Saturday for a number of reasons. It couldn’t get stops late. It couldn’t score early. It couldn’t block Alabama and the Bulldogs couldn’t get open downfield."

It's a LOS game, sometimes the ball doesn't bounce your way, sometimes the man lining up across from you is just better, sometimes you need a little luck and sometimes the better team wins that day/night.

Labeling Bobo a "loser" is just a lazy narrative. You should at least know what you are talking about if you do.....if you do indeed know what you are talking about, answer the questions above.

Pretty **** good run.....29 & 0, 45 of the last 46 and two national championships. Proud of the dawgs and staff win or lose, they all fought for 60 minutes. They are no losers here, but labeling Mike Bobo one makes you certainly look like one to these eyes.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I never labled anyone a loser. Maybe you're a loser for trying to say somebody said something they didn't say. Everthing I said was true, tell me where I'm wrong instead of trying to put words in my mouth.