Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Brock Vandagriff to reportedly enter transfer portal

SystemSystem Posts: 10,478 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageBrock Vandagriff to reportedly enter transfer portal

Georgia quarterback Brock Vandagriff will look to finish his career elsewhere, as Rusty Mansell of DawgsHQ reports that Vandagriff is set to enter the transfer portal.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Behind Beck on the depth chart is redshirt sophomore Gunner Stockton. Georgia also holds commitments from 2024 quarterbacks Dylan Raiola and Ryan Puglisi."

This is currently Gunner Stockton's redshirt Freshman year according to the UGA Roster - 2023.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

No surprise. But, these guys need to watch out. Lots of people in the portal, so there are many, many more choices.

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

i bet he and Beck had a private conversation, and Carson told him he's gonna stay one more year. Is Raiola gonna enroll early?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Brock V. entered UGA so full of optimism...a local boy....had much to do with recruiting and was a 5 star QB..now, he is leaving in the infamous portal..what I call the portal. Utter shame. IMO. He can really run like a RB. Strong arm. I like him better than Beck...again..my opinion. I know all about reps and team management..Beck seems to perform well. Maybe Brock slips there. Still too raw.

Will Gunner bolt too? And, Beck is no lock on staying. Looks like he will but...?

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 167 ✭✭✭ Junior

This was well expected.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, the story said that BOTH Raiola and Puglisi plan to enroll early and be in bowl practices beginning Dec. 16. Here's the line from the story itself.

"Raiola and Puglisi will both enroll early at Georgia and arrive on Dec. 16 to participate in bowl practices."

• Options
    sthop456sthop456 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2023

Can blame him one bit. A DGD and gave it his best. Can't make it to NFL without some tape, and he probably already knows Beck is coming back.

• Options
    JTM22JTM22 Posts: 62 ✭✭✭ Junior

Oregon would be perfect. Always been a fan of BVG.

• Options
    80Grad195580Grad1955 Posts: 10 ✭✭ Sophomore

I hate this modern version of college football...it's just not the same. It's not amateur athletics anymore. It's the NFL farm system.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Beck would have gone out had he made it to the playoffs and gotten some SB MVP type kudos while at it. He may still declare for the draft but probably would have been certain if the above happened.

I'm all for having more of a dual threat QB if you are not going to turn your pocket passer loose in a big game. If I'm CB I'm not sure I would want to come back with a new OL and losing most of your best receivers. NExt year will be a rebuilding year IMHO. Although if you listen to some of the players from UGA talking about LAwson Luckie they are really amazed at his abilities.

BAMA beat us in the end because of Milroes's legs. THat kind of running talent is tough to defend against. Maybe the biggest, (like 2% body fat) , fastest QB I've ever seen. THey don't grow on trees but BAMA seems to always have one waiting in the wings.

BV is big and not a turtle by any means, but he's no Milrose, or Byrce Young or even Hurts.. I wish him well! Seems like a top notch person.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's actually a great idea. Either, there, Texas A&M or Arkansas. Maybe, even Carolina or LSU. Everybody is looking for a QB after this year.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bama beat UGA because they were lame on both sides of the ball. Too many Freshman and too much inexperience on the field, at one time, in the defensive side of the ball. Led to a few busted Defensive plays. One of which, was a TD.

It is what it is. Kirby did his best with what he had to work with. The injuries finally caught up to the Dawgs. They'll be tough as hell on Defense for at least 2 more years. Those Freshmen you saw on the field, will make that Nakobe Dean type leap...from this season to next.

You can buy players...you can buy talent and coaching....BUT....you can't buy or replace "experience". A lot of young pups, gained a lot of valuable experience, this year.

I got news for all of you...Kirby can still get 3 or 4 Natty's in a row. Just give him time. He's gonna have a lot of rings, before he's done.

• Options

@BigDawg61

I agree with everything you said and I have covered that any numerous posts. We were banged up, the bad calls or no calls, and some unforced errors by us, but my comment was more about BAMA had the best athlete on the field at QB(not the best passer)and he was going to do whatever he neded to do running to insure his team won.

We've bee through these type games so many times with BAMA, close games that were decided by their QB's legs, whether it was Tua, or Hurts, or even Young buying time in the pocket with his legs or strolling for a 1st down when the pass protection by us was good.

Stetson Bennet gave us some of that plus his moxy. WHy we won 2 NC's !!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is to be expected and no one should have a negative reaction towards Vandagriff. This isn't like the unnamed QB who went to Ohio State even after getting playing time Freshman year.

We all expected Beck to transfer but he stayed and with Beck not yet likely at his NFL scoring peak, staying another year means somebody has to go.

This puts us in great shape with Stockton being a likely solid backup with Raiola now seeing more room for himself in the room.

I just wish we could attract WRs like we do QBs

• Options

Is there anyone who deosn't think we win Saturday if we had SB at QB? Not that CB did anything wrong, but SB would have found a way to run around a little more in the pocket with BAMA's pass rush and given our receivers a little extra second to get open or he would have kept it and ran for a 1st down himself.

With BAMA's pass rush CB only had 2.5 seconds to get rid of it in the pocket or else. THe BAMA DB's knew that and played extremely aggressive, knowing it would be a quick pass.

Heck we even tried throwing it to BB 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage hoping he could maul his way for a positive gain.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hallelujah. While I have zero animosity for BVG or any other transfer (Burton excluded; story for another time), I do indeed miss the loyalty factor CFB has had for years that is long gone in the pro's (decades gone), relatively speaking. That said, this is expanding my CFB "watch base"... I'll probably start watching whichever team BVG goes to just because I think he's such a DGD... kind of ironic, right?

• Options
    MFDawgMFDawg Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman
    edited December 2023

I have been saying this for a while, and now it is at a point I knew would happen but hope it never would. BVG is finally leaving after being in UGA since 2021. I watched videos of his high school games. I wish him the best wherever he goes. This one will hurt a lot worse than all the others.

Just take a little trip with me down memory lane. We started Jake Fromm over Jacob Eason after Eason's injury. Eason was not elite, but he was better than Fromm, IMO. Then we got Fields, and, for some reason, still started J Fromm, who could barely pass the ball 15 yards down the field. After Fromm left, we were stuck with JT Daniels, D'Wan Mathis and Stetson Bennett in 2020. Carson was never considered in 2020. BVG was the better QB in 2021, IMO, even if he wasn't battle tested. During that time, we had an underused George Pickens, who got drafted and is doing well in the league. Burton transferred to BAMA and shows how talented he is. Then, AD Mitchell transferred to Texas a year after winning two chips.

Offensively, I can understand why players transfer. The offensive calls made this past SEC Championship also speak volumes about why they transferred. The game plan had to change we didn't have players like Big O to seal the edge on runs.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Agree, but I do think our WRs were pretty good... would have been nice to see more RJS, Lovett, Bell, etc. in SECC game given how banged up McConkey and Bowers were...