Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia cornerback Nyland Green enters transfer portal

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia cornerback Nyland Green enters transfer portal

Another name has entered the transfer portal off of Georgia’s roster, as cornerback Nyland Green has done so.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, I confess I'm not up to date on all the Transfer Portal rules and such, but is this all about throwing your hat into the ring and seeing what kind of NIL deal you get offered? And if they don't get offered a deal can they drop out of the portal and get back with their old team?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Player has 45 days to find a new home then returns to his original home team. Portal opens up again in May for just 15 days.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another 5-Star that didn't meet expectations. Wish Green the best.

• Options
    stacey20stacey20 Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

Green should have been the starter at cornerback instead of #6 . To much athletic ability and explosion . With great ball skills and speed. Georgia made a big mistake. Because No#6 was terrible all year

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

Lassiter is leaving this year. Green could have made it into the starting lineup if he worked on it.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeah, you know better than those sorry defensive minds and the head coach who watch practice and film every day.

• Options
    jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not sure but could a better NIL deal be a factor as much as not being a starter? I often wonder if they talk with the various coached to get a read-out on whether they will play next year before entering and/or a possible scholly retraction to make room for someone better. Whatever they got a couple of nice Nat; Champs rings as a forever keepsake

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@ColumbusDawg,

Your point has a ton of merit but keep in mind Coach Smart told the whole Country that Dwan Mathis was better than Stetson Bennett after watching all of the practices. Coaches are not infallible in their evaluations and decisions, and it is not heresy to question their decisions.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'll have to trust in our coaching staff here. Players earn their playing time in practice and the coaches see and evaluate these young men at their peak performance and at their lowest. If # 1 was better than #6, I fully believe he would have been on the field more than 6.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Of all the 5-stars who didn't pan out, Green is the biggest disappointment to me. I don't know why. I wouldn't know the kid if he punched me. But I just always believed that he was just a whisker away from starting and I could never understand why he didn't see the field more. It seemed like after that shooting incident his freshman year, though, he never got right. Oh well. I wish him the best.

And just a point of clarification about the transfer portal rules: A player can opt in to the portal and decide NOT to transfer (as mentioned in another post, Amarius Mims is a prime example). However, that player can only return to his school IF his old school wants him back. Once he enters the portal, the school no longer has to honor his scholarship and is under ZERO obligation to take him back even if he wants to return. In fact, less than 5 percent of players who enter the portal wind up staying at the same school.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another good point but remember, Kirby's evaluation was before he knew of the medical issues Mathis had and at the time Stet was greener, skill wise, than a ND virgin at a kindergarten orientation but with tons of ambition and drive.........If there is anything true about Kirby Smart it is that winning is paramount and only the players that give The Dawgs the best opportunity to win get playing time.