Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Transfer tailback Trevor Etienne would provide quick lift in reloading Georgia backfield

SystemSystem Posts: 10,467 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageTransfer tailback Trevor Etienne would provide quick lift in reloading Georgia backfield

ATHENS — Florida tailback Trevor Etienne went into the transfer portal on Thursday after nearly a week of speculation, and Georgia is considered among the schools the gifted sophomore could end up playing for in 2024.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How did Etienne do against UGA? Seems like a good prospect...Don't know that much about him. I hope Branson Robinson comes back healthy,

• Options
    ATDATD Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

A proven talent. Go get em.

• Options
    NorthHallDawgNorthHallDawg Posts: 82 ✭✭✭ Junior

Etienne could provide an insurance gap for the incoming freshmen. He has SEC experience, seems to have good character and is seeking a winning program. All three of our returning RBs are top notch players; however, all three are trying to comeback from serious to semi-serious injuries. Etienne would be the insurance policy that will help older Dawgs heal and allow the newbies to learn the system.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Agree, all points. On the character point, have some exposure to his brother, Travis, through a few Clemson boosters who knew him when he played there. They say he's a super nice guy and very team-first... building on @NorthHallDawg 's points, he seems like a quick fit with CKS's cultural objectives and a great, healthy "bridge" for the incoming RBs

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I see that Ohio St is one of his 3 teams. THey lost both their starting RB and back up RB to the portal, so, theres that! Would love to have Etienne!

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

While I prefer players to be developed in our program, it seems like a no brainer to try to get this guy. We need a breakout RB. Not only has he been one of the best, he appears to be a cultural fit. 👍

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

ETN is not a good fit for UGA. 1) he is probably a 1 and done player. UGA wants guys with multiple years of remaining eligibility to assimilate culturally. UGA is not a mercenary destination like lesser programs. 2) UGA has a RB committed that will be a better player than ETN before he leaves Athens. Not worth the risk of losing Nate Frazier. 3) UGA does not throw a lot of money around to attract new players to Athens. Paying new players upsets the culture UGA has created to reward teamwork, attitude and in house production.

If ETN is shopping for immediate $$$ he won't be coming to UGA. This seems like another case of the disconnect between real football and the fantasy football mindset.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I understand your points. I am unsure as to the validity of some of your factual assertions. Bottom line: Georgia appears to need a breakout player at RB for 2024. Do we have that already in our RB room?

• Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

He wants to stay in the south and play for a winner with a chance to play for a Natty. Dawgs are pretty much his choice.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wanted him at UGA his freshman year and always wondered how he wound up at UF. He plays hard, doesn't cause issues and can clearly run the ball. I don't care if he's a 1 and done. If his 1 leads us to a Natty, that would be fine. By then, all of the other horses in the stable should be ready to step up. As it is, UGA typically needs at least three healthy RBs, sometimes four, to make it through the season. Hope he comes aboard. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2023

Also hearing they're willing to pay 1st round money to Henderson/Harrison Jr to stay. Upwards of $25 million. If they're doing/offering that kind of money, UGA won't chase him.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Brock Bowers and Ladd McConkey turn pro as expected, along with Edwards and Milton vacating the backfield."______@MikeGriffith

Mike...i'm not so sure, all of those guys...if any...are going to turn pro, this year. I know that's been the expectation, since Juniors were allowed to "declare".

But....with free agency, NIL and the draft being so loaded with "COVID Year Talent"...this may be one of those years, where the Juniors stay-put. Kinda like in 2017...only, for different reasons.

I'm not sure Etienne, is better than Edwards, Milton or B-Rob....but, he would definitely be a welcome addition. Very talented back, that can catch & block out of the backfield. He was a feature of Napier's offense....but, I don't think that will be the case at UGA. IMO.

For UGA to actually feature another RB as the core of it's ground game...he better play like Herschel, Garrison or Knowshon. Lol...otherwise, he will become part of a deep rotation.

The way i see it...Running Backs have become "utility players" in today's game. Mostly due to the size and speed of Defenders today. A feature running back, that gets 30-40 carries a game....likely won't make it through an entire 15 game Championship season, the way they did, back-in-the-day.

Even "back-in-the-day", it was a challenge. Herschell played "injured" against Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl [and, a few others]. And, there was only 12 or 13 games back then.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol...tell em, Navy.

Baptize the boy as a Bullpup and start training him in the "Georgia Way". If he has discipline and focus...he'll fit right in. "Sit", "stay", "roll over"...."Attack", "Kill", "Maim"...."Sic em!". 😎😁😅

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

Isn't D. Edwards a senior anyway? Why does Mike say he's "expected to leave UGA for the NFL draft"? If he's a senior, he's gone.

• Options

I think it will be harder and harder for any college program to "do it" the old fashioned way moving forward unless the NCAA tries to stuff the Genie back into the bottle some how. Now UGA will certainly try to "do it" the the old fashioned way moreso than others but when you are down to a couple of incoming guys and a couple of previously injured guys at RB, you just may have to go outside your druthers.

• Options

I'm all for finding the next Schrader from some small school. That guy's a beast.

• Options
    SequoiaDawgSequoiaDawg Posts: 18 ✭✭ Sophomore

Pretty pointless to complain about the game today. It's basically professional minor leagues and that genie won't be put back in any bottle for sure. Can't blame the players. They're all trying to get to the NFL and if they happen to flame out or get injured, at least they got some cash and perhaps a degree.

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Referring to not getting short yardage against Alabama, I think that falls more on the shoulders of the offensive line rather than the running backs. Etienne would be a great get though! Go Dawgs!