Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart, Georgia staff chasing next championship on recruiting trail

SystemSystem Posts: 10,540 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart, Georgia staff chasing next championship on recruiting trail

ATHENS — Georgia and Florida State don’t meet on the football field for another three weeks, but Kirby Smart is making sure to keep his program running strong.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wonder if Kirby is talking about KJ playing both sides of the ball as he really clicked with Dylan as a receiver. It's been a while for UGA, but maybe Kirby can pull out some Champ Bailey tape. Just wondering.

• Options
    jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

Love to see all the chatter about who is coming and who is going but like Life time will tell what is factual.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OK we’ve seen (seeing) what the Dawgs are losing through the TP. Now I’m ready to start seeing what the Dawgs will be gaining from the TP and recruiting.

Kirby and staff are as elite at recruiting as on the field. I doubt seriously that Kirby and his staff will come out on the losing side in the end with roster management. He and they are just to good at it. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

What we don't see is the numbers or at least I don't. i.e. We have so many coming in December and then more later; does that force someone out to accommodate our numbers limit? Do we expect all 10 in the portal will go or are some just window shopping? From the articles we are focusing on 1 incoming and there are possibly 10 outgoing. Don't expect to get a personal insight from Kirby but just wondering out loud about our direction.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

jamboogie, I'm very very confidant that The Dawgs have made offers to several TP guys to fill needs on our D-Line, O-Line, Receiver, RB and Corner....we'll see what we can real in.....don't want to be to transparent as this tends to have an unwanted influence on the guys we have commitments from. As for our guys that have opted for the TP.....I'll go out on a limb and say we're not hindering any from finding a new home....as its like the farmer telling Bessie that he's going to have cryotherapy before milking to lessen his hand cramps or telling your steady girl that you just want to be friends after a year together....at any rate, after the fan is turned off and the poop is cleaned off the wall, The Dawgs will be fine and ready to make another 30 plus game run!.......The TP and NIL need parameters....if we continue to wait on the NCAA or for GOD's sake our feckless congress to act we will all endure this insanity......Greg Sankey and the SEC Presidents need to demonstrate some leadership and set standards for all of our 16 teams!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    SR_JRSR_JR Posts: 46 ✭✭ Sophomore

I just want to know how is it that Auburn can land elite relievers and don't even have an established quarterback. But yet we have a proven quarterback (Beck) & 5* quarterback (Raiola) & don't forget a gamey guy in (Gunner). And we are steady losing relievers. Someone answer that.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This may not be a popular take, and I may get slandered for it; but I think it’s 2 things:

1. EXPECTATIONS… it is most often expected that you are a good perimeter blocker before starting at WR for UGA. For example, Rosemy Jacksaint has seen tons of time that he may not have seen at other schools due to his physicality/reliability in perimeter blocking. Meanwhile, Arian Smith, Dillon Bell, and younger but more talented receivers see the field far less. I think many guys just wanna go somewhere they can showcase their skills without doing as much “dirty work”.
    2. Lack of development… besides Ladd, I haven’t seen us really develop a young receiver and see massive strides (for example Arian Smith, Rosemy Jacksaint, both Lovett and Rara taking steps BACK this year). Don’t want to place blame on McClendon; but he needs to show this ability in the next couple years. I also think Bobo can help here too.

In short, we’ve gotta make up for the lack of incentive our expectations place on the position; and simultaneously develop a first rounder or two. Only THEN will we be top of mind for elite WRs.

There’s also this whole NIL deal too. And WRs garner 2nd most (second to QBs) amount of NIL $$$. Kirby ain’t budging on this from a culture perspective tho.

all this is just my $0.02

• Options
    SR_JRSR_JR Posts: 46 ✭✭ Sophomore

This I can get on board with. I don't think Ladd was developed I think that he just had raw talent. And the offensive game plan could definitely help. The last scoring drive the ball was all over the field. We are going to have to do something. SOON.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Cold hard cash is how, along with a good offensive coach. And do not forget Puglisi. He has game and could be our next Carson Beck.

• Options

I will take the trenches and defense over WR if I had to make a choice. WR's aren't the easiest to develop of all players so that philosophy creates a problem to start with if you aren't getting obvious elite ones out of HS. You have got a couple or more elite traits to work with and develop further or you don't.

So it comes down to recruiting and paying NIL. Then, what position will be hurt by paying a top WR? I guess the answer is then get more NIL money and use it for an elite WR who loves hard work and blocking and that loves UGA, not just wants the cash. And it obviously helps when you got the #1 QB coming in who throws effortlessly all over the field and are a top team.

More NIL WR money or...find diamonds in the rough.

We found a real diamond in the rough with Ladd. He has multiple elite traits. Maybe we can find another. (Maybe he will come back! And Brock too!)

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's pretty much admitted by all the folks I've listened to that are pro-UGA, and former players that our receivers weren't getting separation from BAMA's DBacks. You can have the best QB in the world but he still needs receivers who can get open and a O-line that can give him enough time to get the ball to them. Something that was sorely missing to a large extent in the SECC game.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Are we supposed to just pretend, that Bowers and McConkey were only operating at 80% due to nagging injuries....OR....that Mims was absent for all but, the 1st and part of the 2nd drive. You know....when UGA's Offense looked like Georgia's Offense.

You can't just ignore the impact of all those injuries and wounds...to the type of plays available to Smart and Bobo.

The crazy thing is....

iIf The CFP Committee had done the same projections on UGA that they did on FSU, in keeping THEM out of the playoff...[Beatable without their Starting QB]....UGA would be in the playoff, and healthy by the first game. Maybe even getting B-Rob back...but, definitely getting Mims, Dumas Johnson, Bullard...and a number of other guys that weren't available or healthy, last Saturday.

• Options

Bolden makes fantastic sense to me where to spend NIL money. No brainer.

Maybe I am wrong, but unless he just really is in love with OSU, he would come to UGA if we come close to the same NIL deal.

I would even give him a better NIL deal than OSU because he is elite and dynamic on BOTH sides of the ball.

Give him what he wants and let him play both ways. It is a win-win-win.

• Options

I said this before the season....and I'm sayin' it now.....

100% healthy....the Dawgs are unbeatable.

And, they would've been by the time they played the Natty. Unlike FSU, as the "CFP Committee" projected, in leaving them Out. Project that!!!....CFP Committee. Lol

• Options
    edited December 2023

I disagree, to a point. If money is the only consideration...I say take a pass, it doesn't vibe with the culture. I don't believe that to be the case, with this kid, though. I think he's a "ballplayer"...not a Prima Donna. Lol

What value do you think you would put, on playing for and being tutored by a National Championship...Award Winning Coaching Staff with support and educational facilities like UGA's....vice, say...a Texas A&M or LSU?.

Some things are worth more than money. I'm just sayin'.

Lol....I believe Kirby is one of those coaches that "can take his'n and beat your'n...and take your'n and beat his'n".