Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia receiver Jackson Meeks reveals why he’s entering transfer portal

SystemSystem Posts: 10,518 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia receiver Jackson Meeks reveals why he’s entering transfer portal

ATHENS — Jackson Meeks opened up about entering the NCAA transfer portal, calling it the toughest decision in his life.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seeking individual accolades

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don’t know that I’d really call that “opening up.” “I’ve got [nebulous, unstated] goals I want to achieve” is hardly a deep dive into his thoughts…

• Options
    BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Appreciate his comments. I can tell he was emotionally vested in UGA and wrestled with his decision.

Also agree with his sentiment and disappointment that the CFP didn’t give proper weight to UGAs record breaking win streak and opportunity for historic threepeat. Any of the sacred cows would have been given that chance.

• Options
    jg74jg74 Posts: 13 ✭✭ Sophomore

The fans I know appreciate Meek's contributions to the team. He has always been a DGD. I know this was a hard decision for him because of his love for UGA. But nothing wrong with looking for an opportunity to display his WR skills before his college eligibility is up. Players like playing and a guy at 3rd or 4th in the depth chart at Georgia could be starting elsewhere.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

The committee spun in logical circles to get this final four, which makes it a little tricky to logically explain what's so very wrong with what they did. So I'll just pick a starting spot and go from there.

By putting Bama in over Georgia, they declared that rèsume - the end result on paper - is the most important thing. Georgia spent the entire season ranked 6 or 7 spots ahead of Bama in every poll, including the CFPC's. They looked better than Bama against every common opponent. As others have pointed out, Georgia came into the SECCG in the midst of a historic winning streak. Bama won that game by all of 3 points, and now we must conclude that Bama was better all along. They are, after all, SEC champions now. That's how important that one criterion is that Bama has over Georgia.

Ok, so Florida State is in ahead of Bama by virtue of their undefeated record, correct? You know, since it was just established that you can't look at how well the team did throughout the season and must only look at the final rèsume on paper? Uh, no. Bama just went 12-1 in the SEC. Do you have any idea how impressive that is?!

Oh, ok. So then Georgia must be in. No. We just told you, the final rèsume on paper is the only thing that matters....

There is no logically defending the decision to kick out Florida State and kick out Georgia to make room for Bama, because whatever argument they wanted to make for including Bama would compel them to also include Florida State or Georgia in order to maintain any semblance of logical consistency. Clearly, the committee had no such concern.

But it's even worse than that. It didn't have to be this way at all. It's not like the fourth spot came down to, say, a set of teams that had played a round robin and were each others' only loss or something. We had three undefeated conference champs. There's your 1 through 3. For the fourth spot, there are two 1-loss conference champs, one of whom beat the other on the latter's home field. Done. The committee took what was arguably the easiest, most obvious, most straightforward final decision in the history of the playoff, and made it controversial. All in service of precious Bama.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IF we were sitting at number 8 in the polls and we beat BAMA (who had been #1 forever like us) by 3 points when they missed a FG and we got the advantage of a missed no call, I daresay they would not have bumped us up over BAMA and kicked Bama down to #6. Anyone believing they would do that needs their head examined!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best wishes to Meeks in life on and off the field of play. As for Bama they ****. Hope they end up playing TX and lose. As part of the reason a Bogus call by the Refs in favor of TX would be so nice !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

I wish Meeks would stay. I wish you good fortune for your life young man. Reddawg1 you got that right!😎

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

BOYCOTT THE CFP!

MAKE THE ORANGE BOWL WINNER...

2023 Co- National Champions.

If FSU wins...God Bless em.

But, if they don't....UGA can claim that 3rd Natty, as far as I'm concerned. That's how I'm moving forward. To hell with rules and norms. Those are out the window, now.

Follow the Lead of the CFP Committee.

They better get their act together. Put down on paper, what the criteria is, for making the 12-Team CFP. EVERYBODY...HC's, Players, Fans, Media...everybody, should know what their team needs to do to get in the playoff, on day 1. Not after all the games have been played.

The best 4 teams are not as big a mystery as they're trying to make it...and, people are smarter than they give em credit for. We SEE what's going on and, just haven't figured out what we can do about it...yet. Too bad, they aren't Bud Light. Lmao

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't wish Meeks any ill will, but there's a reason why he only caught one pass all season -- a season in which our top wide receiver didn't even play in half the games. I'm sure our backup wide receivers had PLENTY of opportunity to take on larger roles in the offense and they just never did. It's fine if they want to transfer. That's their right. But the idea that they're going to suddenly catch fire elsewhere and be so much better than they were at UGA seems highly unlikely. Mitchell and Burton are different stories. They were ALREADY starting when they left UGA.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2023

I don't blame Meeks for transferring. He is not able to break in to the lineup. Be it lack of talent or lack of enough work and/or effort in order to get better so he can see the field more often. So it's understandable that he needs to move on to where his skill level will garner him more playing time. The problem with that is, if he don't feel he can attain his goals (NFL) at Georgia, then it is unlikely his skill level will develop in to NFL talent somewhere else. Just my opinion. However, I do wish him well and hope he proves me wrong.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He's gone. Forget it. That's it! Let's move on to players who can make the team.