Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia receiver ranks thin, freshman Yazeed Haynes enters portal, per reports

SystemSystem Posts: 10,652 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia receiver ranks thin, freshman Yazeed Haynes enters portal, per reports

ATHENS — Georgia receiver Yazeed Haynes has plans to enter the NCAA transfer portal, per multiple published reports.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2023

“Haynes committed to Rutgers, then he committed to Penn State and then he committed and eventually signed with Georgia.”

I really, r e a l l y hate the way we use the word commit. Because it isn’t commitment. Until you actually do the thing you say you’re going to do, it’s just a loose agreement. Haynes loosely agreed to play for Rutgers unless he ended up seeing something better. Same with Penn State…

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It wouldn't shock me, in the least...if, McConkey & Bowers decided to return for their final season. You know...The 2021 "Revenge Tour II"...or The 2017 "Return of the Leaders", as Dooley put it. Lol

Bowers....may not be able to increase his draft stock by staying...but, he could possibly win the Heisman and put on his 3rd Natty Ring. Becoming this era's Herschel Walker...putting him in a different stratosphere.

I think Brock's devotion to the game and the Dawgs has him grinding over the decision. I'm sure he has a pretty good financial portfolio, already. Lol Either way...he can't go wrong, IMO. So, it depends on where his heart is....cause, THAT is what drives that kid.

Speaking of "Heart"....McConkey, has the opportunity to get healthy...come in, with a more seasoned, mature Carson Beck...and, put a "2019 Burrows' LSU" type stamp, on UGA's 2024 Offense.

The way i see it....with a 2021 Type "Stifling Defense" coming back...and, much havoc with many turnovers expected.......UGA's Offense can do something really special next year......

If...."The Leaders Return" for the Revenge Tour II. Leadership is the key.

• Options

Depends on the kid and his family. Some know the meaning of the word...most, Don't.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

McConkey might come back, having only had half a season this year. Although I recently heard that his draft stock right now is a good bit higher than I'd expected, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him go.

I still don't see a universe where Bowers returns. He's already firmly established himself as a Georgia/college legend, has already won multiple titles. There's nothing left for him to prove or accomplish at this level. And we're taking about where he'll be playing next year, so his love of the game isn't a relevant factor - he'll still be playing the game he loves next year, just making A LOT more money doing so. As awesome as it would be from our perspective, and as tempting as it is to romanticize this stuff, it just wouldn't make any sense for him to come back.

• Options

I didn't say he'd be back "for the love of the game". I said, he could return for "The love of his teammates and Team". There's a huge difference, in my mind. It's what inspired, Chubb, Michel, L. Carter, Wyatt, Davis and several others, to return...though they were very "draftable".

I don't project what my goals would be...onto someone else. If I've learned anything in my life...it's that there ARE different strokes for different folks. What drives me...may not make dent in what drives you...if you get my meaning. I believe it's more about "Football & Connection" than business and money, with Bowers.

I'm not saying money and security doesn't enter into the thought process. IMO, you're a fool, if it doesn't. But, that may not override the desire to return...depending on current financial standing vs goals. His goals may not be anything like mine or yours. Different strokes, my friend.

In any case...I'll watch him play on Saturday or Sunday for as long as he takes the field. One of the best, toughest, smartest, most devoted Football Players I've ever seen. Reminds me a lot, of Brandon Burlesworth....in a word..."Focused".

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 229 ✭✭✭ Junior

What is it with Georgia and WRs? Over the last decade, Alabama has had them everywhere. We can't seem to find the explosive elite recruits like Bama, Ohio State, Texas, etc...why is that? Is it the type of QBs we are recruiting that scares them away? I mean, Ladd McConkey who was a low rated recruit is the exception. Even good WRs that led previous teams (Lovett, Thomas) are just "meh" when they come to Georgia. Why is that? Where is OUR Marvin Harrison? We led all of college football for two years and still can't get a couple of IMPACT WRs. Why is that?

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 229 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bowers did make a comment after he came back that getting hurt and not being in the game was an eye opener for him - that he can't take playing for granted. That might very well mean he is not coming back as nothing is guaranteed. I do agree his heart is with his team and he would love to come back, but another injury could affect his draft status and he could lose millions.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Well, ok, you said "devotion to the game," which is what I was referencing, and I still have the same basic response. It's fair to say people can have different goals in life, but again, what is left for Bowers to achieve at Georgia? Chubb et al had never won a title and the 2016 group lost to tech in what would have been their last game between the hedges. Very different situations.

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2023

@truthteller

Huh?!

Some of these names aren’t considered “impactful” to you!?! 🤯

AD Mitchell?

George Pickens?

Chris Conley?

Darnell Washington(TE)?

Kearis Jackson?

Isaiah McKenzie?

Mecole Hardman?

All of these former Dawgs are playing wideout or TE in the NFL.

What are you complaining about?

Coach Smart can’t control Burton and Mitchell and others from transferring; it is what it is.

Id rather have the stellar linebackers and DL that Georgia is known for and whose players are ALL OVER the NFL rosters than the primadomma wideouts that can change a game or two per season, but have nowhere near the impact the linebackers and DL throughout a season do!

And Coach Smart and his staff are bringing those recruits in in SPADES!

Every.

Single.

Season.

• Options

I agree...tough choice for a tough minded player. Whatever he chooses...i have confidence that he made the right choice for him. He's a thoughtful diligent player and person...so, God Bless.

• Options
    edited December 2023

"I think Brock's devotion to the game and the Dawgs"____bigdawg61

Lol...I did say "game"...and "the Dawgs".

But, you're right...it sounds like I could've meant that, when I was thinking the other, when I wrote it. So, thanks for straightening that out.

All of what you said, are fair points. There is a lot for these boys to weigh when making this decision. All I would ask, if I was a Parent, is that they make a choice they can stand behind with no regret, regardless of the outcome.

None of em will want for a thing, the rest of their lives. They're in the Dawg Pen [Network of UGA Contacts], now. UGA's alumni stand behind one another. You know Dawggone well...they have a good work ethic, with an education from one of America's premier Universities...not to mention, they're Winners.

Lol...you know...I was just thinkin'...I don't know what I would've done, if the professionals...[MLB, NFL, NBA, etc.]...we're getting paid then, what they are paid, now.

I remember a conversation between my coach and an All-Pro Center for the Redskins [Len Hause]. Len told my Coach that his last contract was for $30,000/yr. He owned a liquor store and lounge to make money in the offseason. I think it was Johnny Unitas that sold insurance, in the offseason.

The money was no where near what it is today...and the risks were 3-fold....which makes what Jim Brown did in his time, all the more amazing to me. They did it for love of the game, back then. And, that's no joke. I've seen guys crying in the locker room over many things having to do with passion, anger and loss.

Yeah, you still have guys like that. Bowers and McConkey are two of em...IMO.

Baseball was the best lottery ticket, if that was your thing. Then, Basketball....then, football.

• Options
    87Dawg_1187Dawg_11 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

It's not mutually exclusive. UGA has to recruit great players at every position if they want to continue to compete for championships: DL, LB, DB, WR, and QB as well OL. The team that has the most talent on the field usually wins. UGA demonstrated that over the past 31 games with 29 wins and only losing twice to the same school which was the only one that could match their talent.

• Options

Fitzpatrick isn't playing, anymore?

You're absolutely right...the Dawgs have had some great receivers, over the years, limited only by the QB and OC.

IMO...It doesn't matter, the WR's you have, at the SEC level. They're all pretty good with various strengths and weaknesses. And, most would be successful in any offense constructed like the '19 Tigers or '20 Tide. How often does that happen?

You have to have all the right parts to have the kind of passing game that would feature "the pass"....with a Great passer and at least 2 great WR's and....either, "a Workhorse RB with a great offensive line" or "a very mobile QB".

Either way...it's High Risk/High Reward for that style offense. As we've seen with...[Bama, Tenn, LSU, FSU, USC, Colorado, and on and on],...your QB goes Down...you go home. Your receivers go down...you go home.

LSU & Bama made it all the way through the Season and Playoffs relatively healthy, in '19 & '20...and took home the trophy.

The very thing that carried Bama in 2020...failed em in 2021, cause they didn't have their usual depth in the WR Room. I don't think Kirby wants to live and die on that bed. Lol...and neither does nick, I would bet.

UGA's brand of football is much more reliable in today's "Division 1 CFB" game. That doesn't mean, they won't have the pieces coming in this year to break out a bottle of "Hail Mary" and light it up. Ya neva' know.

• Options

Offensive playstyle. Be thankful. Look what happened to FSU, USC, Colorado...Tennessee. All of the teams that ride or die on the pass....are sitting on the sidelines. Except, maybe Washington.

But, hey...what're ya gonna do? Consider the Conference. They will be destroyed by the more traditional teams. If not...I might start thinkin' more like you.

I get it. Watching a receiver streaking wide open down the field is fun to watch. But, relying on it as your only point of attack is unsustainable on a consistent basis at the Championship level. IMO, "2019 LSU & 2020 Bama" are freaks that survived and persevered, due to good QB Health [Luck] and a deep WR Room [Good Fortune].

It is notable that "2019 LSU & 2020 Bama" had great RB's and solid backup QB's and OL's...along with a Championship Defense. The 2020 Tide only played a 10 game COVID season, in which Waddle went down half way through...so, there's that.

I believe National hype are as much responsible for the perception around all those notable receivers...including MHJ...as anything they did on the field. I'm just sayin' it's not the smartest way to win Championships on a Consistent basis.

But, it would be nice, once and a while...to have one of those Shelby Engines racing up and down the field. Fun to watch. At the end of the day...Just Win! I don't care if you use the wishbone offense.