Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Sentell’s Intel: What we’re hearing on the Carson Beck decision this week

SystemSystem Posts: 10,538 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageSentell’s Intel: What we’re hearing on the Carson Beck decision this week

This Sentell’s Intel is all about the latest with Georgia starting quarterback Carson Beck as he uses this time to ponder his plans for next season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well, I love Carson Beck. Hope he comes back because that is in his best interest for obvious reasons. Of course, it’s also in the team’s best interest. Plus, it’s hard to believe Brock is leaving without at least some indication that Carson is coming back. After all, Brock would have almost certainly been the starter next season if Beck didn’t return.

Finally, a decision needs to be made as soon as possible. Being in limbo about your starting QB is a very bad place to be.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think he comes back. I have no inside knowledge of this but, I believe that's why Vandagriff left. I think for his development, he needs one more year of experience as a starter. I really believe there is something to Bill Parcels opinion that a QB needs to start at least 30 games in college.

• Options
    jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

It should be totally about his best interest for future. He played well and should he leave, let's say thx and you are always welcome to come back and visit.

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is easy...your going into the draft or you coming back for your 5th (true Senior) year. Make your mind up and then all parties move foward.

If Beck goes into the draft UGA is left with a huge hole on Offense...basically a total rebuilding year on offense that will in reality make UGA's 24 schedule that much tougher to make a playoff appearance.

My gut says 2024 could be a total rebuilding year for Kirby and his program... I can easily see at best 9-3 all the way to a 500 ball team at 6-6 folks... The offense is going to loose a crap load of talent and yes we are bringing in a ton of talent but this talent is unproven at best and who is your starting QB?

Count the BAMA game in TTown as a L ...so we are already one loss away at 10-2... There are plenty of L's on our schedule next year with a new qb and a totally rebranded offense...just the facts

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Did Brock have any insider information?

If Carson is leaving why didn't Brock stay? Wasn't he then the presumptive starter? Better to start at UGA than Kentucky?

I have no answers, but these seem like good questions.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am not convinced BVG would have been the presumptive starter. For one, Kirby has spoken highly of Gunner and his efforts on the scout team. He made similar comments about Stetson a few years ago. Second, Gunner and Bobo have always been tight. Gunner committed to South Carolina when Bobo was there and decomitted when Bobo left. Looking at Gunner's high school highlights, he is mobile and plays with a lot of heart. I hope Carson comes back, but I don't think BVG made such a quick decision based on what Carson decides.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CWdawg1979 Bobo was talking to BVG when he was at Auburn, misnomer he favored Gunner. BVG wasn't gonna wait on Beck decision.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 491 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Beck is still up in the air BVG had to jump while the better opportunities were available. If he waited, he could be a backup another year or play at a school with less competition

let’s not forget that another season as QB1 with UGA May or MAYNOT help his draft stock. Each year there are established QBs and the unexpected rise of a junior who can steal the spotlight and the draft positions.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh come on, this is insane. None of that is true. 3rd or 4th QB selected... no. Try 3rd to 5th round MAYBE. There isn't a SINGLE Mock NFL draft site that has even seemed to mention Beck's name. Looking at an NFL Mock database, he may have been early round potential but after Mid-November dropped to around being pick #100.

Nobody expects him to leave. Vandagriff certainly didn't transfer and give up a pretty sizable lead in the QB race because he thought Beck was going to the NFL.

Beck knows the same thing that Bennett knew after 2 years ago (and some undrafted Dawgs realize now) - that getting that second year of solid performance is a difference in millions.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nah. Players are supposed to SAY that they "don't know" or are "Just focusing on the next game", but they know. Just as Bennett needed that second solid year to get drafted (he probably would've been undrafted or drafted really low if he left the year before) Beck knows he needs to prove himself for one more year. This article is not a representation of reality - no news source has Beck anywhere CLOSE to the 3rd or even 5th best QB. 7th-8th is most optimistic I've seen. Vandagriff knew he was staying. Beck's stock can only go up unless he performs really poorly or gets a serious injury.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

These players and coaches do not live in a vacuum...Beck has told Kirby and Bobo exactly what he is going to do, which is come back for another year....just working out the NIL. One more year can only raise his draft status....remember the "Heisman" talk here and there....his stats were almost as good as Daniels (save rushing totals).....another opportunity to lay waste to Bama in their stadium....a great showing in that game will place his name firmly in the way too early Heisman hype. Again BVG left Athens knowing he would not be starting in 24 but would again be back-up save an injury to Carson.......look at the receivers we are courting.....they're not coming for an inexperienced QB.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think this is right-thinking. You do have to wonder if Beck's angling for assurances from CKS et al that enough will be done with the REST of the team before next season, especially transfer portal moves, to ensure he has all the right pieces around him to make 2024 a success.

IMHO, no way you go back against Bama, UT, Clemson, and then add Texas too if you don't have at least SOME hope for a stout(er) UGA defense. While I agree that an extra year for Beck is both needed and helpful for his draft stock, I'm not so sure a 2024 of losses outside his control (and the obvious exposure to injury potential) helps as much as a season like any of the past 3 (CFP or not)...

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 491 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2023

I know this is an unpopular thought process. But I agree Beck might get better with another year. But draft status is based on the number of really good QBs in that years draft.

it is not based on the improvement a player makes.

examples. Anthony Richardson jumped to the head of the class.

this year there is Bo, Drake, and Sam

next year will be sanders, Ewers and a whole host of front runners

there will always be those who stand out in a specific year. Right now he is somewhere between 5th and 7th best.

another year he could be #1. But he could still be 4th or 5th. There are no guarantees.

Now it seems like many on this forum prefer a known entity over a freshman Jake Fromm surprise.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beck is coming back. He's getting paid a cool million to do so. No guarantees he goes in the first round if he goes this year. He needs to come back so he can get that top half first round money which is life changing.

The team will be no worse the 9-3 next year and probably 11-1 splitting the Texas Bama games and winning the rest.

Gunnar Stockton is a seriously good qb. Better than Griff imo. After that some freshman. I like both of the guys coming but especially the Puglisi kid. He seems mentally stable. 4 high schools in 4 years for Raiola and now he is wavering again. Not a good look. Dad needs to get his **** together and give the kid some advice about loyalty.

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

With Raiola potentially flipping it would be very welcome news if Beck is going to come back for his senior year.