Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

OPINION: What happens if Carson Beck leaves and Dylan Raiola flips to Nebraska

SystemSystem Posts: 10,484 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageOPINION: What happens if Carson Beck leaves and Dylan Raiola flips to Nebraska

ATHENS — Kirby Smart saw the NCAA transfer portal clouds on the horizon and has his Georgia football program braced.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

👏👏👏👏👏

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That’s a Bad, Bad scenario, losing Both Beck & Raiola !! But I will say this don’t underestimate Gunner Stockton. I think if and when he’s givin the keys to the O he’s gonna surprise some folks !!

The other thing is one would think FSU will be losing some folks to right ? So that would even things up some depending on what positions they lose. This Portal stuff will drive you nuts if you let it. Guess we’ll just have to see where the chips fall. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Raiola would make a Huge mistake going to Nebraska !! And I mean Huge !! Their a dead end road. It’s his life and choice but he’d fare By Far better to come to UGA. But like all of us he will have to do what he thinks is best for His life, I sure can’t knock him for that.

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

College football has been destroyed...there is only greed and more greed in this ceeespool

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why in the world would Carson Beck even think about going Pro? He has one year full time experience at QB at the university level. The Media is falling all over itself trying to bait players with the next greatest thing. Media is part of the problem with where the sport is today.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Schools and Coaches brought this on years ago with allowing coaches to not honor contracts/commitments. Passed those options right on down to players. Why not!

It's a mess and only the strong $$$ survives or competes. Reap what you sow.

• Options
    JTM22JTM22 Posts: 62 ✭✭✭ Junior

Maybe Raiola realized at Buford the south is another level of football. He’ll be playing top notch talent every week once he starts (assuming he redshirt) and he’d rather go to Nebraska, play early and play lesser teams and put up huge stats.

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

Division One, major college sports, especially football, are an out of control dumpster fire! The frightening thing is we only see the black, acrid, oily smoke rising above the fire totally unaware of the numerous toxic elements fueling the growing blaze. Considering that those responsible for controlling & extinguishing the flames are blinded by their own greed & desire for more wealth, power & control, I fear that what arises from the ashes will resemble “Hydra” the multi-headed offspring of Typhon & Echidna with poisonous breath & blood so putrid & virulent, even its scent meant instant death.

• Options
    TransplantedDawgTransplantedDawg Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

Beck leaving would be a mistake- Bowers going is a no-brainer but Beck needs another year. Raiola moved here to play at Georgia- if he did that to his family and THEN flipped, I don’t think we want him at Georgia anyway

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The raiola thing, I'm not shocked. Like stated elsewhere, he's been to 4 high schools. If he flips. It'll be his 3rd commitment. If we get him, great, but also it's kind of a double sided sword(fields). Not enough playing time and he bolts anyways.

And like other people have said, Beck should stay another year. He's not quite there yet. He faltered at the end, either by play calling or quite possibly falling into the chatter about how good he was.

And I like the thing about Leonard. He's a tough kid. I watched the Duke/Clemson game and the kid has heart.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Personally I don't think Beck leaves but if he does Gunner Stockton won't miss a beat, he will be an exciting QB to watch IMO. As far as Raiola goes, put yourself in the mind of a teenager, regardless of what he does the beat goes on. Everyone in college football is dealing with this insanity, Pandoras Box has been opened. The game us old guys grew up watching is gone, my interest is waning as well. Yawn....

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

My interest is also waning. As days of old you could cheer as a player worked his way into a starting position. It still happens but is getting more rare as time goes on. If they are not part of the starting rotation by their 2nd year, they just might move on.

if rules don’t change, I can see there being tiers of teams where the top teams always pull from the portal to get a proven player and the lower tier teams almost become a developmental league.

im not against players having options and getting paid, but it seems like there is no loyalty and any rules associated with transfers and NIL only help the teams with the most $$$.

the “sport” is now a business and it will become harder to be engaged if this continues

• Options
    NorthHallDawgNorthHallDawg Posts: 83 ✭✭✭ Junior

College football is rapidly turning into a circus act. No commitment should be looked at as a sure thing. NIL has made college football much like the NFL, in that if a team wants a certain player, then that team and its boosters and the NIL collective will come up with a better contract than the other team. I suspect that if Raiola does a deed flip, he will take some of the top commitments with him; at least that's the speculation from some of the top pay sites. If that comes to fruition, the conjecture and speculation is that Georgia's class will lose its number one ranking and fall to as low as sixth, with fourth being most likely. All of this is occurring on the cusp of early signing day, but it is what it is until it isn't.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Beck is coming back is my wager. Who wants to bet? Raiola? He does what he does.

If his uncle just got that huge pay raise, he is likely gone unless...his uncle used him as a bargaining chip to get the pay raise and he gets Raiola on campus for a last minute visit and a huge cash offer. So maybe Raiola is just doing it for his uncle to get paid and comes on to UGA anyway.

Bottomline is, if he wants to be here awesome. If not, he shouldn't be here anyway wasting our and his time. He may end up being another JT Daniels before its all over with and play for multiple schools in college.

Oh and if he does go to Neb, I will guess all the talk about prayer and God leading the decision lost out to family connections and huge bucks...mainly HUGE BUCKS. Yep.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

NIL deals and draft prospects are definitely playing into the decisions of all these guys. What a crazy college football world we live in now. Everyone is a moving target.

Just let me know when the dust settles...

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

In Kirby I trust.

Not a HS QB. One who has been recruiting top player to join him at UGA and now he might not come? Bad, bad look on himself if he doesn't.

Eason, Daniels, Fields, Newman, etc. They all come and go.

Everyone picked or wanted Vandergriff after Stet left. He never started a game. Couldn't win the job. You never know how things will pan out.

I like Raiola a lot.

But I like Puglisi a lot too...

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If we are left with Stockton and Puglisi, so be it, but my guess is Beck comes back. After waiting several years to get his chance, I will not be surprised if he has the patience and team loyalty to come back. If he doesn't, I would prefer to see Gunner have his shot over the portal. Transfer QB's have never been the answer for the Dawgs. As far as Puglisi, he impressed Monken with his arm talent and has stuck to his commitment, with or without Raiola. Don't get me wrong, I would like for Raiola to stick with UGA, but the kid has to make his decision. Down the road, I am pulling for Ju Ju to flip and become a Dawg.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Unless LAdd, or Edwards or any of those guys are going to get drafted in the first 4 rounds, I would just come back and try to improve my stock. Not all of those guys are even NFL players. Edwards is boderline(smallish and doesn't have break away speed) and I was watching a podcast by UGA "guys" who were discussing Ladd's injuries this year and how that would more than likely greatly diminish the chances that any team would risk him as a high draft pick. All the NFL doctors have to do is find one sign of arthriyis or some suspicious looking tendon out of whack and he's toast. He can improve his life after ball here in the state of Georgia if he returns and stays healthy and helps us. HIs work in the community has endeared him to many!