Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Sentell’s Intel: What I’ve learned so far about Dylan Raiola’s commitment to Georgia football

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Great article. All of the angles were examined. Though, all of the questions couldn't be answered...I believe we have enough information, now, to draw some reasonable conclusions.

One conclusion is...that, Raila moved out here, hoping to scare Puglisi off. He bluffed and Puglisi didn't blink. I love that kid already. If Raiola leaves...it's to avoid a tough fight for the UGA QB Job.

Jeff....I agree with pretty much, everything you wrote. Bravo Zulu in your approach.

Then again....if Raiola has family in Nebraska...what are the odds he got permission from Kirby to do the OV and get a free trip to Nebraska and back...on somebody else's dime?

Also, I've heard speculation that the OV is part of a "quid pro quo" between Raiola's Uncle, Dylan and the Nebraska Athletic Department....in connection with Dylan's Uncle's recent "big raise". "Get Dylan on campus for a visit...and you get "X" amount of dollars".

I have noticed, that neither Raiola...nor UGA's Coaching Staff or Athletic Dept. ...or anyone else associated with "The Program" or Dylan Raiola...have reached out to dispel the rumors.

Lol...there's always a chance that Arch Manning transfers to UGA. OR...if Raiola goes to Nebraska....there's a better than good chance, he'll be transferring out, next year. Unless they make his Dad or Uncle, Head Coach. Then ya got a Prime Time situation.

• Options
    NorthHallDawgNorthHallDawg Posts: 83 ✭✭✭ Junior

The problem is not with Raiola himself; it's the collateral damage that worries me. Some of the pay sites are speculating that if Raiola goes elsewhere, he'll take at least 2 to 3 of our blue chippers with him. Not literally, in the sense that they will follow him to Nebraska, but to go elsewhere since Raiola isn't coming to Georgia. Like many who are asking the same thing on this forum: What happened? Does Raiola know something we don't? That being said, it's time for Beck to poop or get off the pot. Are you staying or are you going? Enquiring minds want to know... There's a lot of conjecture out there, but the most frequently cited is that it's Bobo's play-calling, Nebraska's boosters, and the NIL Collective are going mafia and making Raiola an offer he can't refuse, or the cliché "Buford curse." Whatever happens, I think Puglisi is going to surprise everyone. His commitment never wavered; he didn't get caught up in the hype, and he sure as hell doesn't project the me, me, me attitude. Every year since the NIL began, the early signing period has become the most chaotic, drama-filled, jacked-up, convoluted mess that borders on insanity.

• Options

Lol...does anybody really think Bobo or Smart were counting on this kid? With his track record of moves, waffling and commitment issues?

I highly doubt it. I think they have a plan that includes the progression of Gunner Stockton to starting QB, upon Beck's departure....no matter who comes in, this year. He would not still be there, if that weren't the case. The boy can flat out play. We just haven't seen it yet on Saturdays.

We can speculate that....Raiola's grades may be an issue, since we don't have a window into that aspect. Kirby does. Maybe that's why he's not saying anything.

Like you said, Jeff....something is afoot. All we can do, is read the signs. Lol

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can't blame Tom for his roots.... although Florida-born and raised myself, once I saw the light, I became hardcore UGA.🤣 Go Dawgs!

• Options

Personally....I think it's more telling at this point...not, "what we've heard"...but, "what we haven't heard". From anybody...Raiola, included.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@NorthHallDawg...Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking as I read this story - the collateral damage. If Raiola leaves then I wouldn't be surprised at all if we lose at least one or two key guys. Maybe we are both wrong, but Dylan has been the recruiting marketing arm for several of the best committed recruits in this '24 class. If he bolts, then will they question WHY he would leave? Especially if Beck decides to hit the NFL? Does it make sense?

I imagine there is something going behind the scenes or some bad vibes that Dylan has gotten that even Jeff doesn't know about. Or maybe Nebraska is holding some killer NIL deal in their back pocket. I don't know, but other than the family ties to Nebraska I can see no real upside for Dylan himself going to the Cornhuskers.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ah yes, the horrific play calling that led to Beck having the most 300 yard games in the nation this year. If that doesn't scare a pocket passer away, he don't got his head on straight.

Also, the only piece of actual reporting (as opposed to merely mentioning it) that I've seen on the uncle's raise is that it was completely unrelated. He was already scheduled to receive it, along with others on the staff.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The bottom line is perhaps he's gotten wind of CB coming back next season. NOt that he would start next year but that would delay his real chance of starting at UGA back to 2025. Two years waiting and no guarantee if and when? Maybe someone is guaranteeing him he will see the field next year. 2 years sitting seems like an eternity to an18 year old who believes in himself. A chance to play in 4 games as the number 2 guy next season might be the kicker. THe starter at Nebraska could get injured. Who knows.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Welcome to CFB 2023. NIL and TP now trumping winning, coaching and recruiting prowess. One week you are trying to win 30 straight and the next week your program is in disarray. W/o CBeck for '24 it is disarray.

UGA will always be hurt by the TP. UGA will always lose more talent/immediate contributors than they can expect to gain w/freshmen and transfers. We are seeing what talks and what walks.

BA alluded to the need for UGA to "adjust" its recruiting and NIL position on Dawgnation this AM. The landscape of CFB is changing.

• Options

Everybody's assuming it's Dylan's decision to make...just like it was assumed Zach Evans didn't "want" to come to UGA.

Kirby may not want him anymore, for whatever reason.

Here...let me do it for ya...🤣🤣🤣

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2023

It will be what it will be. And it will be great for UGA either way.

Because we have Kirby Smart.

To me its about playing time. Or UGA apparently trying hard to get Beck to come back, Raiola might have felt slighted or gotten his feelings hurt.

If he goes to Nebraska, to me it will be his loss as far as his overall college football experience goes. UGA has a better town, coaches, facilities and program and will while he is in college and If playing for championships and winning them matter to him, it is not the 1980's anymore and he will not go to Nebraska.

But like I said maybe he thought he was going to come in and start year one(Manning didn't) and the pursuit of Beck hurt his feelings and chances of that ever happening. Maybe he is too much of a mama's boy and that just hurt his tender feelings.

Seems like it could be emotional to me.

Or maybe all this speculation is wrong and he said he will come up there for a visit and give them one last honest to goodness chance to flip him if they gave his uncle a nice fat juicy raise? Well they did and now he is taking a trip up there.

Maybe its because when he went to Buford this year and played against the toughest competition he ever played against and now he does not really want to face the toughest and fastest there are SEC defenses? I thought he wanted to play against the best though to get better? Time will tell.

Either way, I do not freakin' care!

He can stay with his commitment or he can flip. With all of the flipping he has done in the last few years, he might come to UGA and leave the next week.

I do not know if his dad is micro-managing or what but something isn't right in this saga. Its not close to have been stable. Maybe too many knocks in the noggin from his playing days or something? Intentions are great but wishy washy, all over the place, more like scatter-brained, changing with the way the wind blows, not stable at all.

Nebraska MIGHT be the only college he wouldn't leave because his uncle is there. Its gotten to this point already? Mega all-in to UGA and now forecasted to go to Neb last minute? Maybe its all just for show and to get his uncle that raise ultimately?

And ultimately I do not really care. It would be nice to see his easy throws but its much better and far more important to see Kirby on the sidelines.

• Options

"One week you are trying to win 30 straight and the next week your program is in disarray. W/o CBeck for '24 it is disarray."_____@UGADad20

Lol...sure you want to stand by that statement? Disarray?....because of one player...or, position group? UGA??? I'll give you time to think about that, a little bit.

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 327 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2023

"One week you are trying to win 30 straight and the next week your program is in disarray. W/o CBeck for '24 it is in disarray."_____@UGADad20

LOL

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

I'm finding it hard to believe the level of panic and "sky could fall" sentiments expressed in this and related posts. Good thing the Georgia staff and players didn't respond that way these past years, or forget about the spectacular win streak and championships. UGA will be fine with or without Raiola, with or without Beck, with or without both. UGA has won SEC and National championships with lesser talent in general and QB in particular. Whoever is on the roster has been and will continue to practice against elite talent, be developed by great staff, be supported by the best culture, and will therefore be able to go toe-to-toe with anyone next year, and the year after that. Doesn't guarantee wins, but Georgia will have what it takes to compete at the highest possible level. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IF CB comes back for 24 then we have the main cog of the offense, if not, then we're starting new with a never before starter, with zilch real game experience. Not that it would be totally impossible to put together a championship drive with a newbie QB , we certainly did it with Fromm, however, it would be next to impossible to pull it off considering all the attrition with starters across the board. Now If BB, Mims,LM, Dajon Edwards, Ra-Ra stayed then it would be more doable.

Kirby's a great coach, but he can't pull a rabbit out of his hat when there's no rabbit in there.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not just 1 player. UGA has already lost a lot to graduation/NFL and the TP. There were already rumblings of other flips before the QB flip rumors. The JC DE that UGA targeted committed to FU today. And this is from a #6 rated team.

With UGA's '24 schedule and w/o an experienced QB, UGA could be looking at 5 losses. Possibly not a top 10 team. Solid QB play is that important. Weren't you the leader of the "SBIV's play is the reason we're winning all these games" cult? How soon you forget. Compared to the last 3 years that is disarray.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Which top recruits specifically came here to play with Raiola? I know he liked to text with guys a lot (one of the reasons this is so odd), but there was never any noticeable bump in the class once he came on. Furthermore, while it seemed like he was firmly in the fold, we lost Carr and the highly rated tight end who went to FSU (blanking on his name), and Tuggle has apparently been wavering for quite some time now. So I'm not so sure the class was ever built on a Raiola foundation to begin with.

Also, I'm curious what your idea of "bad vibes" would be, at a program like Georgia where by all accounts, community and culture are everything.

• Options

Let me remind you...Beck didn't start, before this year. Bennett didn't start before 2020 and wasn't "named" starter till 2022, after Daniels' departure...and 3 losses in 2 years [Bama x 2 & Fla]. Fromm didn't start in 2017, till Eason was injured.

That about covers the Kirby Smart administration...I think. We can quibble about where Daniels stood WRT being a "starter". But, the fact is...Bennett took the vast majority of snaps in '20 & '21 and is credited with the majority of starts and wins. If you want to...we can just agree that 2020 thru 2021 was Offense-by-committee with Bennett and Daniels at the helm.

In all the time Kirby has been at UGA...and, for ALL the talk and weight put on QB decisions, every year...he has only had 4 true "Starting quarterbacks" in that 7 year period. Eason [1.1 yr], Fromm [2.9 yrs], Bennett [3 yrs] and Beck [1 yr]. Not bad.

I hear Arch Manning is considering transfer. 'Member him? Lol

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think so too. It’s the difference between watching football as a backup for two years on a championship caliber team and getting serious playing time for an “also ran” caliber team. I seriously doubt his plans include playing his final year with Nebraska. I expect to see him in the TP after starting a year at Nebraska.

GO DAWGS!