Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

OPINION: What happens if Carson Beck leaves and Dylan Raiola flips to Nebraska

2»

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Absolutely agree...with everything.

Going forward....it won't mean as much as it once did....IMO. It was even hard to get in a twist over UGA losing in the SECCG.

I knew going in, they were only hitting at about 80% health and their depth had been compromised. If the CFPC had done the same injury projections on UGA, that they did on FSU....UGA would be in the playoff.

That decision was made before the game. They were trying to figure out a way to legitimately locking FSU out of the CFP.

They knew that win or lose...UGA was one of the best 4 Teams, in the Country. UGA losing to Bama gave them license to leave UGA out....which gave them cover for leaving FSU out. All that was set-up by their complicit news media [talking heads/writers]....before Championship Weekend.

The way i ses it...It doesn't count, if you beat the National Champion by "voting them out". That sounds like some of this WOKE crap, that's been permeating and destroying the rest of our Society...has leaked into the CFB game. Lol...no surprise there.

• Options

Lol...if he does go to Nebraska...."IF"...Then, he will transfer again next year.

All the hand-wringing goin' on last year, over Arch Manning....and, he barely played last year. They're talking about HIM possibly transferring.

That's just the way it is, now.

I don't know why Fans even bother keeping up with "recruiting" anymore. What ya get this year, may be playing on the other side of the field, next year.

I believe that Kirby puts as much weight on a kid's maturity and ethical standard as he does talent and development. IMO...Raila or Manning could be behind Center in 2025. Ya neva' know. Or, it could be another talented QB with great potential.

UGA only signs "Football players"...not "prima donnas" and businessmen.

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2023

I agree with a lot of the posts here that the CFB world has gone mad...as a long-time fan, I usually let these individual recruitment side shows roll off my back as I believe much more in the team and CKS, but in the big picture, it is highly concerning when there are so many shady and disingenuous deals that promote individual players over the team. CFB football is (should be) the consummate team sport, and what we are seeing now is threatening to throw the sport entirely off the rails. Important values like integrity and commitment are being shoved aside for money, greed, and instant gratification. What are we teaching these young athletes today? I realize that much of this has occurred in the past, but giving everyone a license to do it without regulation is clearly not in the best interest of the future of CFB.

• Options
    edited December 2023

"CFB football is (should be) the consummate team sport"_____@Eric_C

The CFP Committee differs with that statement. FSU's Footbal "Team" was eliminated from competition because 1 player out of their 85 man "Team" roster went down to injury.

The playoff "Committee" decided Defense, Special Teams, Offensive Line and RB's weren't a part of the game...[this year].

How do they know...FSU could've worked their asses off between now and Jan1 to create a different style offensive attack. UGA worked their asses off after getting beat by Bama in '21. Rose up, and looked like a different team, against Michigan and Bama to win their 1st Natty of the 21st Century.

They [FSU] could've shut out both teams they played in the CFP, negating the need for an "explosive offense". Can't have "that", though....too boring to watch. Lol...the CFP decided...it may be possible, but, we don't want to see it.

And, that's the Entertainment Business. I think they want to turn football...inro basketball. You can have it, as far as I'm concerned.

They want to simplify it for the masses' consumption. Most people don't understand the game...they just know scoring and long passes with circus catches. Those are byproducts of "The game"...but, have nothing to do with "winning & losing".

It's ashamed that the caretakers of the CFP don't understand the game they are assigned to oversee. In other words....Incompetent or corrupt. One...or the other.

In today's Football world...If you don't have a passing game...you are judged as the lesser of your peers. That's horseshit in the simplest of terms....not to mention dishonest and deceptive [to the ignorant].

How many competent defensive analysts really talk about the defensive side of the ball.? Roman Harper is one of the best I've seen. And, Pollack was good. I put a lot of stock in the opinion of both guys...though, i don't always agree.

Other than that...the rest put a little effort in explaining defense. Then, start talking like a Fan about the offense.

And, those "words".....The words these glorified Fans of the game use, to elevate one player or team...and denigrate another player or team.....are relied on, by 90% of the people "voting" in Polls and on Committees. VOTING?! FOR A CHAMPION?! Lol.

So, if the words are wrong or skewed or corrupt...the wrong teams play for a Natty. But, somebody gettin' paid. That's for darn sure.

IMO....It takes more than a "Vote" to take down a Champion and "Beast of the East" like UGA. You've seen how a wounded bear or lion react?...That's gonna be the Dawgs, next year. They will leave NO doubt.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 478 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Carson Beck leaves the Bulldawgs with 2 years of eligibility left to try and get drafted, he is suffering from delusion of grandeur. If he stays at Georgia for another year, he'll be a prime candidate for the Heisman and a lot of money in the NFL. Plus, he'll get shot at leading the DAwgs to a National Championship. That's my 2 cents.

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BigDawg61 - "IMO....It takes more than a "Vote" to take down a Champion and "Beast of the East" like UGA. You've seen how a wounded bear or lion react?...That's gonna be the Dawgs, next year. They will leave NO doubt."

Absolutely - and I know this isn't a popular sentiment among many of us still hurting from the CFP snub, but I say it begins with the Orange Bowl. The Dawgs put up 65 vs TCU, and I want to see them put up 70 vs FSU, regardless if it is all 3rd stringers playing for FSU.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Guys relax, it's all good. The NIL doesn't exactly hurt us as we are a huge school and other than places like Texas, we can get them deals to match. We have a large fan base, so it's not like the smaller programs that can't keep up. Remember that the NIL also helps keep players in college that were leaning towards the NFL.

Beck isn't leaving. He's just not that ****. Its a matter of a difference of millions as he won't be higher than about a 4th or 5th rounder right now.

If Riola leaves, then he leaves. I mean, Vandagriff has already left and Beck won't be around past next season so we've done our part to make room for him. Maybe he wants to compete at a lower level. Fine. Better to leave now vs a year from now.

It doesn't really matter. I can't remember a time we didn't have too many QBs (Joe Cox maybe? DGD though). Our problem is trying to get and keep the elite Receivers that always wind up at places like Bama. We never seem to get them.

So just wait on the whole QB thing. Smart can get a pair of QBs literally in a week if needed.

• Options
    edited December 2023

I say...we start a campaign to make the Orange Bowl winner...Co-National Champion. I hate it...but, it's the truth. The Champion isn't gonna be determined on the field, this year...IMO.

With FSU and UGA on the outside....you can make the case...that neither team lost a regular season game. In fact...the 1 loss between em came against a 1-loss [in-season] Alabama....in a post season game...by 3 points...[not mentioning the officiating and injuries].

With Texas and Bama on the outside...you can't. They "both" lost during the season...not, post-season.

In fact...Texas got to play a clearly over-matched Okla. St. Team in the B12 CG. Lolol...while Michigan had Iowa in the B10 CG. C'mon man. UGA and Bama were in a battle...and UGA went into it, "wounded".

If anything...it should've been those 2 teams...UGA & Bama..."no matter what".

Do you realize...if the Committee had selected the top 4 teams using the same criteria, they always used to keep UGA out, in the past....

1. Michigan

2. Washington

3. FSU

4. UGA

....there would have only been one loss between all of em...[in a Conference CG].. With Texas and Bama...there's 2...and both came in-season. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I don't remember a postseason game being held against a Team of UGA's stature.

I know, they didn't hold it against TCU when they lost to the same team Texas crushed, this year....Oklahoma St..

• Options
    BigFanBigFan Posts: 147 ✭✭✭ Junior

Beck needs more reps.

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 327 ✭✭✭ Junior

“People really don’t understand what’s going on in college football right now.”

Love me some Kirby, but he does say some crazy things sometimes. Fans are very aware of the monster (formerly known as CFB) that people like Kirby, himself, helped create.

• Options
    edited December 2023

"like Kirby, himself, helped create."____brvhrt

How so?

You sure you understand what's goin' on? And, why? Just sayin'..

That statement doesn't line up with the known facts. Unless, you know something, nobody else does.

FYI...Lawyers & Agents hold the lion's share of the blame [directly]. Congress and the NCAA are proud owners of the rest. Coaches had zero input. That's what I think, anyway. You may have reason to believe something else. If so...I'd like to hear the reasons.