Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Marvin Jones Jr. transfer marks a clear shift at Georgia outside linebacker position

SystemSystem Posts: 11,039 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageMarvin Jones Jr. transfer marks a clear shift at Georgia outside linebacker position

Based on playing time in Georgia’s most recent game against Alabama, the departure of Marvin Jones Jr. is the most impactful so far. He played the most snaps of any outside linebacker for the Bulldogs in the 27-24 loss to Alabama.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 439 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Wow! This one surprises me.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jones is a pure ingrate. Kirby was praising him and looking forward to his increased production following his ongoing injury. Jones is in it for the money and prestige the way I see this guy. He was rotating with Chambliss. IMO guys.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Out with the bad...in with the good. UGA has a lot to look forward to, on the defensive side of the ball, next year. IMO. It's his loss, not UGA's. Good luck to him. In Kirby we trust. Goooo Dawgs!

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The starters at this position were of little use this year. The backups less so. God help us.

• DougTheWiseDougTheWise Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

Marvin Jones Jr is sorry. I am looking forward to Chaz Chambliss to get in the portal as well. Georgia needs players like Nolan Smith who was great at setting the edge.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you blame one for making it about money, then you have to blame them all.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is where the transfer portal comes in handy. Next season and every season going forward will force the Dawgs and all teams to have an even healthier and more talented bench to make it through a tougher regular and post season.

• 99nout99nout Posts: 233 ✭✭✭ Junior

Are you doing ok? All of your recent posts have been far more agitated and negative than what we normally see from you.

This year saw a significant drop in play from our LB room. Perhaps we need to be looking at Uzo-Diribe and not the players.

Reddawg1....I just watched #7 in the 4th qtr against Bama. Mikell Williams or Jalen Walker, he is not. He may have been pretty good in a couple of years...but, you can say that about ANY young LB or DL on UGA's team. He was an average UGA edge man that had some work to do, to get better.

UGA doesn't use the edge man [DE/OLB] like other teams do...including. Bama. Which is why guys like Anderson and Turner were able to make names for themselves on the "sack" stat. IMO

IMO...Jones moved on, to make room for a couple of "A&M Transfers" that UGA was recruiting hard, a couple of years ago. Nolan...2021 #1 overall recruit, is one of em.

Jones set the edge perfectly. That wasn't the hit on him. The problem with Jones was...when given the opportunity to make a play...he didn't.

2nd and goal from the ½ yd line in the 4th qtr of the SECCG...Jones had a shot at taking Milroe down for a 1 yd loss. Never did get him down. Strength and football instinct were a question mark on him going into the Spring, anyway...IMO. Watch that play among the rest...and, you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'm glad to see him transfer now, rather than later.

Agree. I was thinking the same thing. But, Dumas Johnson...leader of the LB's and quarterback of the defense...was hurt, off and on, all year...before he broke his arm. I don't fault the Coach for that...or the youth and inexperience he had to deal with [excellent job].

I’m not even sure that JDJ wqs what he could have been even counting the injuries.

• deputydogdeputydog Posts: 137 ✭✭✭ Junior

He must have been reading my comments on him and decided to get out of town. I am not worried about any flips and portal transfer out because in Kirby I trust. Kirby gave me something I thought I would never see 3 years of unprecedented winning at UGA. He could have a down year next year and I will not complain at all. Not a sound. The way these guys set the edge this year I thought was the defensive scheme meaning there were no edge set at all. In the biggest game of the year this guy and Chazz could not get off blocks. If you are playing that many snaps for Georgia, you have got to perform and they did not . Not all year, we watch the same flaws all year and I can only surmise that Kirby did not have anybody better or it was the scheme. People talked the defense was not the same this year, but with Pops injury and these edge setters UGA was vulnerable. It cost us in the end in the most important game of the year. When we needed a stop, this guy was a passenger. I looked at that Milroe run about 10 times now Bullock fell or slipped and Jones could not get off his block. Bullock can miss a tackle him delivered 2 chips. So FSU offered him money because it cannot be for the football and he accepted. I really don't care. I would rather watch real freshmen struggle and learn than a guy in the program for a couple years not perform.

• deputydogdeputydog Posts: 137 ✭✭✭ Junior

These dudes get these 5 star rating coming out of high school and they don't realize the jump at the next level. Kirby was at Bama he knows what it takes and the program is in good hands with him. So far in the portal the only position I worry about is QB, the rest will work itself out. If UGA lose its starter and backup at the position, it will be starting over. I hope UGA got the NIL money necessary to field a competitive team with the schedule they got in 24. Either way I look forward to see how Kirby handles this. Players come and go. Kirby is one busted play from having 3 chips. I can live with that. 2017 hurt way more than this loss this year. Last note on Jones, what ever they offer him at FSU, I am glad UGA did not match it no matter how well he plays in the ACC in the SEC he could not meet the standard.