Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Marvin Jones Jr. transfer marks a clear shift at Georgia outside linebacker position

SystemSystem Posts: 10,496 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageMarvin Jones Jr. transfer marks a clear shift at Georgia outside linebacker position

Based on playing time in Georgia’s most recent game against Alabama, the departure of Marvin Jones Jr. is the most impactful so far. He played the most snaps of any outside linebacker for the Bulldogs in the 27-24 loss to Alabama.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 384 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Wow! This one surprises me.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jones is a pure ingrate. Kirby was praising him and looking forward to his increased production following his ongoing injury. Jones is in it for the money and prestige the way I see this guy. He was rotating with Chambliss. IMO guys.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Out with the bad...in with the good. UGA has a lot to look forward to, on the defensive side of the ball, next year. IMO. It's his loss, not UGA's. Good luck to him. In Kirby we trust. Goooo Dawgs!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The starters at this position were of little use this year. The backups less so. God help us.

• Options
    DougTheWiseDougTheWise Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

Marvin Jones Jr is sorry. I am looking forward to Chaz Chambliss to get in the portal as well. Georgia needs players like Nolan Smith who was great at setting the edge.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you blame one for making it about money, then you have to blame them all.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is where the transfer portal comes in handy. Next season and every season going forward will force the Dawgs and all teams to have an even healthier and more talented bench to make it through a tougher regular and post season.

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

Are you doing ok? All of your recent posts have been far more agitated and negative than what we normally see from you.

• Options

This year saw a significant drop in play from our LB room. Perhaps we need to be looking at Uzo-Diribe and not the players.

• Options

Reddawg1....I just watched #7 in the 4th qtr against Bama. Mikell Williams or Jalen Walker, he is not. He may have been pretty good in a couple of years...but, you can say that about ANY young LB or DL on UGA's team. He was an average UGA edge man that had some work to do, to get better.

UGA doesn't use the edge man [DE/OLB] like other teams do...including. Bama. Which is why guys like Anderson and Turner were able to make names for themselves on the "sack" stat. IMO

IMO...Jones moved on, to make room for a couple of "A&M Transfers" that UGA was recruiting hard, a couple of years ago. Nolan...2021 #1 overall recruit, is one of em.

• Options

Jones set the edge perfectly. That wasn't the hit on him. The problem with Jones was...when given the opportunity to make a play...he didn't.

2nd and goal from the ½ yd line in the 4th qtr of the SECCG...Jones had a shot at taking Milroe down for a 1 yd loss. Never did get him down. Strength and football instinct were a question mark on him going into the Spring, anyway...IMO. Watch that play among the rest...and, you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'm glad to see him transfer now, rather than later.

• Options

Agree. I was thinking the same thing. But, Dumas Johnson...leader of the LB's and quarterback of the defense...was hurt, off and on, all year...before he broke his arm. I don't fault the Coach for that...or the youth and inexperience he had to deal with [excellent job].

• Options

I’m not even sure that JDJ wqs what he could have been even counting the injuries.

• Options
    deputydogdeputydog Posts: 132 ✭✭✭ Junior

He must have been reading my comments on him and decided to get out of town. I am not worried about any flips and portal transfer out because in Kirby I trust. Kirby gave me something I thought I would never see 3 years of unprecedented winning at UGA. He could have a down year next year and I will not complain at all. Not a sound. The way these guys set the edge this year I thought was the defensive scheme meaning there were no edge set at all. In the biggest game of the year this guy and Chazz could not get off blocks. If you are playing that many snaps for Georgia, you have got to perform and they did not . Not all year, we watch the same flaws all year and I can only surmise that Kirby did not have anybody better or it was the scheme. People talked the defense was not the same this year, but with Pops injury and these edge setters UGA was vulnerable. It cost us in the end in the most important game of the year. When we needed a stop, this guy was a passenger. I looked at that Milroe run about 10 times now Bullock fell or slipped and Jones could not get off his block. Bullock can miss a tackle him delivered 2 chips. So FSU offered him money because it cannot be for the football and he accepted. I really don't care. I would rather watch real freshmen struggle and learn than a guy in the program for a couple years not perform.

• Options
    deputydogdeputydog Posts: 132 ✭✭✭ Junior

These dudes get these 5 star rating coming out of high school and they don't realize the jump at the next level. Kirby was at Bama he knows what it takes and the program is in good hands with him. So far in the portal the only position I worry about is QB, the rest will work itself out. If UGA lose its starter and backup at the position, it will be starting over. I hope UGA got the NIL money necessary to field a competitive team with the schedule they got in 24. Either way I look forward to see how Kirby handles this. Players come and go. Kirby is one busted play from having 3 chips. I can live with that. 2017 hurt way more than this loss this year. Last note on Jones, what ever they offer him at FSU, I am glad UGA did not match it no matter how well he plays in the ACC in the SEC he could not meet the standard.

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Chambliss is starting at LB for Georgia next season, Coach Schumann’s defense is gonna be in deep 💩 .

He is not starter material and never has been.

Playing time off the bench? He’s serviceable. But he does not have the speed, muscle twitch or abilities that the 5 ⭐️ recruits have.

Down vote me all you want, but that’s the hard truth.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I realize that so far all we’ve seen is those players going Out. And because of the volume going out, by appearance it seems sort of spooky. BUT I’m gonna hold up my judgements until Kirby has time to show who’s coming In. That Transfer Portal thing ain’t a One Way Door you know.

I bet Kirby and staff are doing Allot of shuffling and dealing that we don’t see, Yet. And in the end I Believe he and staff will deliver Better maybe even Far better coming In than what’s going Out. My advice to my fellow Dawgs fans would be Fear Not till this thing is done for the year. The portal is open Twice in off season correct ??

I bet Kirby & company will shuffle and deal through the players available to find those best suited to UGA. They might Not be better suited to other programs, but He and they will weed through and get the guys that will high light the HS recruiting class he’s bringing in. And the finished product will meet the UGA culture.

That “ UGA Culture” is vastly vital to 2024 success and years beyond !! Gotta be very careful not to bring in someone toxic to the locker room. To people outside our fan base it’ll sound cliche. But Kirby, his Staff, the Program, and the Fan Base want players that WANT to be Dawgs. Guys who Want to be Challenged. To be Elite. And work hard to Get Better and Stay Elite on a long term basis.

That’s UGA. That’s Dawgs. That’s future high draft pick NFL. You gotta be Willing to take punishing practices to play at UGA as a Consistent Starter especially. If your not willing to do that, then Best Wishes to you and there’s the door. And if you Do cop out and still make it to the NFL, don’t act surprised when that former Dawg beats you on the field there to !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 363 ✭✭✭ Junior

Guess we won't see Marvin Jones Jr commercials for the GA law firm anymore now.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OK my fellow Dawgs fans. Take this next comment with a grain of salt. I’m NOT necessarily saying that Any coach should be showed the road at this juncture. I Am saying that NO Coach should be above review and reproach though.

Some folks will say Oh he must be talking about Bobo. Nope, not even close. Bobo Did win 12 straight with a brand new ( As Starter) QB and a banged up Offense that stayed that way pretty much all season.

No actually I’m looking at the Defense. YES we lost Tons of talent to the NFL. So there’s valid Reasons. And Reasons are more valid than Excuses. But Even With the guys going to the NFL after Lanning left, the Defense seemed to wilt.

The Offense Could’ve and Should’ve done better in the SECCG granted. But they did put up 24 points. The Defense was Equally if not More culpable in that loss in my humble view. And they just didn’t play like a Georgia Defense ( with a few small exceptions) all year long.

I think in my humble opinion it’d be ludicrous to Fire Bobo after a 12 straight win regular season. He earned At Least ( stress on at least) another year. And again I’m Not saying just arbitrarily Fire ANY Coach. But if I were the AD and/or Kirby I’d Stress NO pay raise AND the Danger of losing your job for Less Than Elite Coaching Performance !!

If we have just as an example a 4 or 5 star LB that’s say a Sophomore that’s had quite a few Real Game snaps but he ain’t that great. The question begs to be answered Why ?? Now apply that to ANY position on the team.

I Know sometimes there are Issues that go Beyond the ability to coach them up or out of bad habits. But those I would think are rare. I guess what I’m saying in summary is I want More out of these highly paid coaches.

If a guy has Natural talent, proper size for his position, speed, etc. Then I Expect even some what demand that the coaches Refine those traits and make that Very Good out of HS, Elite!! The player wants that to !! As he probably has ambitions of playing in the NFL. So Coaching takes Allot of being vested into Hard Work to. Any Coach not willing to do that should be given Best Wishes and showed the door !! Just my take.

• Options

IMO...Chambliss may not set the world on fire. But, he's a darned good "Football player" that gives it 110%...every down.

I got no problem with a player like him. If I were a HC...I'd take 85 of em. Solid tackler, smart, and stays ahead of the play, with his eyes in the right place...[on 90% of the downs I watched him specifically].

He did a pretty good job of setting the edge, against Bama in the 4th qtr., and turning Milroe or the RB inside...to the teeth of the defense...which is his job. It's not his fault...the rest of the defense has been lame and operating at about 80%... [IMO].

But, so did Jones III. He outplayed Jones, IMO. Jones' basics needed a lot of work. He would be in the right place...but, fail to make the tackle or make a play in some other way. Another year or 2 of seasoning, would've had him on Chambliss' level.

But...let me be fair. Jones is a true Freshman...while Chambliss is a seasoned veteran. So..there's that. Jones was probably about where Chambliss was last year, in development.

You could do a lot worse, than playing behind Chambliss, on the depth chart. That's all I'm sayin'.