Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Carson Beck: Closer look into Georgia quarterback’s pending decision

SystemSystem Posts: 10,463 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageCarson Beck: Closer look into Georgia quarterback’s pending decision

ATHENS — ESPN provided the latest indication that Carson Beck is coming back for another season at Georgia via an omission from a recent paysite NFL Draft ranking of quarterbacks.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

I think I can speak for the "Dawg Nation"......"fish or cut bait"........we're all wanting/dying to hear Carson say "I'm back"....... but the truth of the matter is that he's never left......if Carson is as intelligent as reported, as intelligent as I've seen him play, he is actually more so.....he's weighed his options and the scale tips decisively to another year with the Dawgs! Carson is the ultimate competitor and he has some very unfinished business.....first and foremost, Beat The Noles and start a new streak, beat Bama in their home, lead The Dawgs to another undefeated regular season, win an SECC, win a Natty, win a Heisman and most importantly, pass on his knowledge to Gunner and Pug......that's what a DGD does........Carson, I'm wearing YOUR jersey December 30 at The Orange Bowl!

• Options
    OldJeepBobOldJeepBob Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

Maybe, when a player signs with a school, the signing players need to have some skin in the game, like coaches, and have a buyout provision. The subterfuge of "student athlete" is a smoking ruin, lying beside the road. They are professionals. Period. Coaches can't plan next weeks roster, much next year.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This story was just a long-winded way for DawgNation to say, "we don't know squat about Beck's plans." No one does. and that's fine. Maybe I'm wrong, but I do think the delay in Beck announcing a decision is hamstringing Kirby Smart and the rest of the team going forward, but maybe not. I hope he comes back but in all honesty, it wouldn't shock me if the entire team entered the TP or left for the NFL at this point. College decisions used to be about getting developed for the NFL by good coaches and maybe (just a little bit) about getting a degree from a good school. Now it's ALL about the $$$. So I'll just wait until the dust settles and see who's actually wearing Red and Black. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DallasDawg Actually, it's a story about all the dynamics that are surrounding Carson's decision and how Kirby Smart feels about the direction of college football. There's also some background into how it affects other facets of the game, from NIL negotiations to all-star game invites, and the chain reaction involving others in the portal.

The story told you in the headline the decision hasn't been made yet ... don't shoot the messenger for trying to provide some insight into the process and where the perceived value for a free-agent QB like Beck is derived from.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If he comes back, Beck is losing a great receiver or two, but also could pick up a couple of intriguing big targets in London Humphreys and Colbie Young. UGA will no doubt pick up some special players from the TP on both sides of the ball. If Ratlege and Brinson come back, they'll have senior leadership on both sides. Heck, our bench is so stock-piled we have players we've forgotten about who will be big-time players between the hedges before we know it, not the least of which is Troy Bowles. I know the TP and NIL have turned college ball upside down, but I remain stoked about Georgia next year. Make no mistake, Kirby &Co will put a team on the field that might not be favored in every game, but they will have the ability to beat ANY team they play. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"Smart is not expected to address any internal player negotiations when the team returns for practice next week."

This one line says it all. Negotiating with a player to return to play. So sad. I'm sorry, I like Beck a lot and think we need him and he was always my preference (sorry folks) but negotiating a financial contract to come play is just ridiculous.

They destroyed the great thing that college football once was. Now it is simply who can pay you more. It is worse than an NFL contract in that you can jump every season. It used to be off limits for opposing schools to talk to players while they were under scholarship to another school.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

He can do a "Rubik's Cube" in under a minute?! Dang...Beck for President! Lol

I never have had the patience to sit down with that **** little box, long enough to do all that. Lol

Beck is obviously smart...but, that "Rubik's Cube thing", tells me he also knows how to focus and retain information. And, that's critical, for a quarterback.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Who can read smoke signals? 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Chief "Nok-A-Homa"....or, is it Knock-a-homa"?....you get the gist. Lol