Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia on verge of striking back in offseason, incoming stars expected soon

SystemSystem Posts: 10,451 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia on verge of striking back in offseason, incoming stars expected soon

ATHENS — Kirby Smart said the nature of this 2023 season has been how his program has shown it can take a punch.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

RB portal add would be nice but by far not the most important need for 2024. Plenty of RB horses in the stable just waiting to burst loose.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

D Tackle would be a nice get. We are short several in the rotation.

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 411 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sit out a year and not be allowed to transfer to another SEC team.

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 411 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We need fast outside LB's who can stop the perimeter runs. That weakness was exposed by several teams this year, Auburn and GT among them.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What is it?....Christmas, or somethin'?

Everybody askin' Santa for this player and that player....Lol. Like Santa has time for that, with all the kids he has to answer for.

Players askin' him for big contracts....schools askin' him for good coaches....Coaches askin' for good jobs.....fuggidaboutit!

Toys and Kids under 12, come first this time of year. Football takes a backseat. That's why I don't like this portal window...opening and closing before the 1st of the year. THAT has GOT to change. This ain't workin' for me. Lol

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Don't think you can go that far, with sec restrictions. But a one year hiatus might put a stop to 80 percent of the transfer portal nonsense. That's the way it was before and we didn't have football free agency, like we do, now.

• Options
    BigFanBigFan Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

Helps to get McConkey to come back for senior year??? Maybe??? All the missed games due to the back injury (and probably not being 100% for the rest) had to be frustrating to the max. Or am I just dreaming again?

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Brock Bowers still ain't announced. Just sayin.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawg61....agree with you. December is pure MADNESS for coaches and players, and being in a bowl game and the playoffs just adds more craziness to an absurd amount of juggling that has to be done. Too much going on. Something needs to change.

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    edited December 2023

I just wonder how long it will be, before...

The "CFP Players" band together and demand bonuses to offset possible losses...due to Seniors and NFL Prospects playing in at 1, possibly 2 games at the beginning of January.

Lol....if they don't play...if they go "on strike"...no game! They call it business...I call it blackmail. That's when I go "on strike".

IMO...If they don't take action soon.....It's coming. And, when it does, I'm out. As far as FBS CFB...color me "gone". I never watched the USFL, WFL, CFL,...or any other "poser league".

And if that's what they wind up doing at the FBS level...they'll become nothing more than a bigger, watered down version of the NFL. Hell....they might even merge 10 or 15 of em into "the league's" competition...as the next big NFL expansion..

I think...NIL and the current state of CFB and the NFL...has some of these boys, that are eligible to leave...rethinking turning Pro. No need, if they play for teams like UGA, Bama, OSU or USC.

Those guys [Bowers, Caleb Williams, Beck, McConkey...etal.] are already comfortable, making money hand-over-fist...AND...they already know the "scheme & team" where they are and don't have to prove themselves, again next year, to a new coaching staff...in a place they may, or may not, want to be [up north, Lol].

That's another thing.....I also see the way they do the Draft changing some...over the next 5 or 10 years to allow for a bidding war at the Professional level. They may even start entertaining tryouts for High School Seniors.

IMO...That Supreme Court ruling that allowed the current mess to exist....may have effected more than, just CFB. I think it opened a pandora's box we never envisioned. The dominoes will continue to fall until the NCAA and Congress will be forced to make a move to keep Division 1 CFB from imploding.

It may be too late, by that time. As we know...our government doesn't manage situations proactively...it is set up for "crisis management".

Without the NCAA/Gov'ts facilitation...the previous model of CFB could not have existed. As with everything our Government does..it pulled the rug out from under the NCAA and rubbed it's hands together in pride.

Left to zero leadership...CFB will fail. I can only imagine what that might look like. And, it ain't pu'rty. Lol

• Options
    DawgZillaDawgZilla Posts: 10 ✭✭ Sophomore

As soon as CB15 told the staff he was returning, Raiola wimped out and ran away to a team that will just hand him the QB1 job.

Yep, he'll have the reins alright, albeit to a team of old, worn-out nags surely headed for the nearest Elmer's Glue factory.

Enjoy your 4, maybe 5 wins a year, Dylan. The Big 8 has long since been extinct.

Nebraska won't ever recruit well enough, portal well enough or miraculously play well enough to regain its dominance during its storied past.

Your uniform is gonna get real dirty, though.

• Options
    edited December 2023

He'll be handed the reins...if he survives Spring and Fall. Wait'll he gets a load of their blocking.

You gotta ssume, he did a little home work on Nebraska and the BIG12...but, i don't think he made this decision, alone. I think he's being "mis-led", in the same way JT Daniels was "mis-led".

It could be a new career strategy, though. Go to Nebraska and start development under a capable [?...Rhule...?] coaching staff, for a year or 2...then, transfer to your dream school or a contender 80% ready for the big time, vice 50%.

I think that's probably going to be "the move", going forward. A developmental, "Developmental League" for the College-NFL Feeder System.

It'll be....a [college-to-CoLleGe-to-COLLEGE-to-NFL System] for the 4 and 5 star football players. That makes High School football 100 times more competitive...and ripe for being corrupted by easy money. Midget League and Jr/Sr Leagues are next on the grift list....

Parents and Guardians beware!!!....the charlatans are coming and their bringing Carpet Baggers and fools gold with em...and your government officials are giving them a ride.

Just pour gas on the Downfall of America. Lol

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

I think you have that backwards. CKS knew CBeck was coming back. He was saving the announcement of good news to offset the bad news of the Raiola flip. He doesn't want UGA fans losing their minds. It is a pattern for CKS to strategically release information. I expect some TP news after Wednesday's signing day ink is dry.

The Raiola's aren't dumb. A QB has to play to maximize NIL. They can cash in immediately. If you are planning to play CFB you might as well grab as much cash as you can while you can.

Remember when BBs eschewed NIL so that there was more to spread around to his UGA teammates? I wonder how CBeck's teammates feel about him asking for $4M to come back?

• Options
    edited December 2023

Yep...right on all counts, but one. That's pretty good, for you. Lol...your on fire tonight, there, UGA dad.

The one count I'm not sure about...is the report of the 2-4 million dollar NIL demand. Especially after it was reported that he had a 2nd or 3rd draft day grade. Which isn't worth close to that amount of money [in 1 year]. He's probably making THAT now. Lol

I think, it was just, Alumni gossip & speculation..."rumor", that grew legs over the last couple of days, due to the tight timelines...and other narratives and "rumors" flying around.

Pressure to produce "A Story" drove that little train from the media's standpoint. Others, had their reasons as well.

Not sure I believe it, till it's confirmed. As you've pointed out...it's a business.

Which reminds me... ["Everytime I say it's a game...you say it's a business. When I say it's a business...you say it's a game.".]

Do any of you know what movie the above line is from, and which actor spoke it...and, what year?

• Options
    edited December 2023

@UGADad20

BTW...fyi....4 of the 5 Philly Dawgs are on the field for the Eagles tonight. If you're interested.

I've seen...Carter, Davis, Ringo and Swift...all having good games. Ringo is surprising me a little bit. You can tell he's put in some work. Don't know what's going on with Nolan Smith, yet. He must be injured.

I'm behind a little bit. DVR'ing it, Lol But, it's tied at 10 in the 3rd. Good game.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't watch much NFL anymore. Too much " entertainment", brand building and business. Not enough pure football. NFL is all business. CFB is turning into NFL Jr more every day. Saw some. Carter had a nice sack. Smith had a nice TFL. He has struggled this yr. He's a 3-4 OLB not a 4-3 DE. Ringo has struggled this year. He may be an NFL S not CB.

One potential story being completely ignored here. It would turn what has been a pretty bad UGA December into a disaster. There is some smoke about CKS being a candidate for HC at New England and Atlanta. The Falcons don't even draft UGA players so that seems unlikely. But NE may be different. I don't see it happening but a structured NFL may trump an out of control CFB.

• Options
    edited December 2023

Where are you hearing this about New England?

Actually, if you think about it...Atlanta makes the most sense. I look for them to cut ties with Arthur Smith this year. Regardless. And, take the best QB they can bargain for, in the draft.

They would've already locked down a spot in the playoffs...if not for Smith and Ridde. I knew drafting Ridder was a mistake after what I saw when Cincy played Bama. He's a loser and "in his own head", too much. In a word..."inconsistent".

If Kirby takes the Falcon job...look for Atlanta to trade up to get a QB.

Beck coming back, to me...is an indicator Kirby will be back. Now...he may leave next year...and try to bring Beck with him, through the draft. But, I don't think he's going anywhere this year.

They would have to give him a 25% share of the team and complete control. Atlanta might do that...but, I don't see that NE Owner doing it.

Maybe that's what this hullabaloo with the QB's, has been all about. The Coaches were having to make decisions, too.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Never happen. Kirby would never go to either place.

Garbage story. Kirby would never be so foolish to follow Belichek and certainly Atlanta is one of the worst franchises in pro football. Kirby might go pro but not in those 2 situations. Kirby wants to win a couple more at least and will be around for at least 5 more years.

Where do you come up with this nonsense...you are a paid troll. Always bringing the cloud around with you.