Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why Kirby Smart says ‘portal is a good thing’ for Georgia football

SystemSystem Posts: 10,489 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageWhy Kirby Smart says ‘portal is a good thing’ for Georgia football

ATHENS — Kirby Smart loves his Georgia football team, there can only be 11 players on the field at one time.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

And clears space/snaps for those who truly want to be here... which is more important than star ratings and skill. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    street0123street0123 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

You could see the higher speed and greater athleticism with those freshmen LB who stepped in after Pops went down. But you could also see the miscues and blown assignments due to their inexperience. If Pops wasn't going into the draft, he was going to have a difficult time keeping his starting position and building his resume for the NFL with another season of college football. I think the move will turn out to be a good one for everyone involved and may become a good example of how the portal benefits college football.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is the most accurate post I've seen on this topic.

Clearly Pop was getting the most out of his talent (which is a 3-5th round grade imo) but the injuries were making him look slower.

The young bucs are faster and will be fun to watch develop.

• Options
    jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

Out of curiosity what happens to the ones who do not get picked up by another school?

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Where there are lemons, Kirby make lemonade!

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

Ok, signing day is in the past. Let's hear about those on the team and their decisions to go to the league or stay another year. Any media viewing of practices yet?

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Depends on the school they are leaving. The university can resend or reduce the scholarship. Or the player can choose to be a walk on somewhere in hopes of getting their career restarted. Some retire from playing

• Options
    edited December 2023

There is such demand for great athletes to want to play at Georgia that I'd assume the school has "moved on" from that portal player and allocated that scholarship to another player (though I believe Mims lost his way and left for a few days but came back a couple of years ago). Go Dawgs!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just curious here are there any solid Jr. College players that Kirby & Co. are interested in ?? I know there have been a few down through the years that he either signed or showed interest in.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very selfish on my part, but I wish Mims would come back his senior year. He’s Huge especially making holes in the run game. Maybe with Beck coming back he will to. But I sure can’t knock him if he decides to go on to the NFL. He’ll probably draft pretty high as is. Go Dawgs !!

• Options

Projected first round. The odds of him coming back are probably lower than Bowers. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We are so very fortunate to have Kirby.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options

What's not to like about a combination of Mark Richt character, Nick Saban recruiting chops, and Bill Belichick organization management?! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 941 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“It’s when you’re first year and you’re doing that it becomes a little bit more alarming,” Smart said. “Why did you go there in the first place? You never really gave it a chance to grow. I evaluate the portal based on that, not the total number.”......there are a couple of guys left that I wise would reconsider and recommit!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

The TP is tailor made for the Alabama (ie CKS) model. The TP allows CKS to bring in 30 player classes PLUS transfers. W/o running kids off like Saban did for years and Dabo did this week to Jaylin Kenard. It allows CKS to take a chance on a developmental kid knowing they can be encouraged to move on if they don't develop.

The down side of the TP is sometimes you lose players you want to keep. Before you throw dirt on JDJ remember he was pre season all SEC and all American. A major force in the '22 D. A force that was lacking all year. Especially vs AL. His play dropped off due to ? Conditioning? Injury? Neither MJ Jr or AJ Harris were very impressive in their time here. MJ Jr just looked too soft for a LB. Harris did not look quick twich enough to be an elite CB. With his loss it will be interesting to see if CKS brings in an experienced CB.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I guess the answer re: JDJ may be written into the question. Sort of. You say that JDJ was a force all of 22, but then question where that force was in 23. I may be mistaking your intention, but it seems like - because of the way you bring up the AL game players who replaced him out of literal necessity over the season - you have doubts about how/why he was replaced, considering those replacements may have been long term if he hadn’t left.

Starting from the end, nobody could know whether those replacements would have been permanent, even Mr DJ, himself.

Next, it’d be hard to say he wasn’t developing, particularly if his move was to KY. He was a vocal leader, and that was his standout quality, but he was also working under some of the best coaches for his position group in our time.

Lastly, mentioning those pre-season accolades is irrelevant. If he was denied the reality of any of them, it’s not because he was set aside by our coaches, it’s because he couldn’t legitimately physically contribute.

You’re a really informed guy, so my guess is that I’ve just missed something. If not, I hope this points to some worthwhile questions in your positions.