Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Mike Bobo rehashes what wrong against Alabama, what the future looks like for him and Carson Beck

SystemSystem Posts: 10,449 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageMike Bobo rehashes what wrong against Alabama, what the future looks like for him and Carson Beck

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Offensive coordinator Mike Bobo knows Georgia excelled on third down this season. The Bulldogs rank second in the country in third-down conversion rate at 54 percent.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Four toss sweeps stopped behind the line or was it five. We didn't execute is always the catch all phrase, and I guess that's somewhat true. But come on, was there no one else ready to catch passes with all those four stars? Is our line so bad that we couldn't block anyone? No other tight ends that could catch a pass? Couldn't we plan some contingencies?

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

I thought Bobo and the O staff had a great year during the regular season. I thought the Bama game was their only weak job as a staff. The offense let the team down imo. We didn't seem to watch the Texas game at all, or use any of Sarkisian's effective ideas. They had the most success against Bama and scored the most points on them this year. With timing and speed, UT attacked Bama's edges (mostly via the air) and they took deep shots all day. We let Bama roll the DBs up and didn't make them pay for cheating. Our one deep shot to A. Smith should have been a TD, but Beck under-threw Smith badly. Texas also ran a lot of plays, tiring the big D out. We slowed the game down till the 4th qtr (when we scored 14 of our 24 points). And, inexplicably, we ran the ball more than we passed it, despite averaging just 2.5 YPC!. This UGA team was a top ten passing offense with an average running game, statistically. That isn't normal for UGA, and it seemed the staff couldn't accept what our strengths were this year and they tried to pound the rock on Bama's huge and strong front seven all day. Even on our very last drive, when we were down 10 points and only 3-4 minutes left, we ran the ball 6 times and passed it 5 times! What were we thinking?! Bobo is a very good OC. Hopefully, he will make adjustments and overcome his incredibly long drought in SECCGs!

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 371 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I disagree to an extent that the offense let the team down via their play. Admittedly, I was also hollering at the television to stop running the ball and throw it but really, if our defense had just made one 4th down stop, we win. Yeah, I know, that bond kid did not catch the ball (I blame Smart for not calling timeout when he saw bama rushing to the line of scrimmage) and the refs were atrocious, but seriously, our defense played bad. Really bad. We had no contain and nowhere near enough rushing the quarterback.

We had enough points to win, if only we could have stopped them one additional drive.

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There are so many moving parts to this -- if a QB develops a really strong rapport with a couple of receivers who then get hurt, success with other receivers might be more difficult. While those receivers are healthy, it can be difficult to force the QB to focus more on other players. Relying so much on Bowers and McConkey worked well until it didn't.

You could say we overused them, which led to injury, but it worked in the prior 2 seasons.

The one thought I have about our offense is that we may have fared better if we had given Bowers and McConkey until the Tech game or the SECCG to rest. That's a complete 20-20 hindsight take, of course.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bobo ought to know what went wrong. It was “ I’ve seen this before.” Play calling got way too conservative after first drive. Didn’t open it back up until fourth quarter. Easily could have scored at least 14 more points by keeping the pedal to the metal. Bobo has a history of calling plays so as “not to lose” instead of “playing to win the game.” It was so frustrating watching the game with Beck apparently not being trusted despite a great year. Turn ‘em loose Mike! Go for 50 points a game.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Agree with Senior Dawg 87 about the D. The problem is the offensive play calling seemed to assume the D could stop Bama’s offense. That was a bad assumption. It seemed obvious to me all year that the D was not great. Against Bama we acted like the D could stop Bama. Wasn’t it obvious that we needed to score often to win that game? It was to me.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sort of a combination of a lot of things. a penalty on a FG. A bad no review of an incomplete pass that greatly swung the momentum in favor of BAMA(of course). Missed assignments. THe second drive we get buried at the 13, #6 missed a block that would have sprung BB for a good gain. THe 2nd play of that drive CB doesn't find the open guy and holds the ball , gets flushed out of the pocket throws a weak pass to LM and comes up just short of his diving effort, the 3rd play was to BB who was covered but if the ball is placed right I like his chances but CB overshoots him and almost throws a pick 6.

The next time we had the ball poor field position again and I believe we tried 3 straight runs and had to punt. Was like Bobo searching for something, are we a running team that passes when we have to or a passing team that runs to keep them honest?

Our MO all year was we were a passing team mostly. The passing loosened up the defense so we could run and not the other way around.

We got ourselves behind the 8-ball in lots of games by being too conservative to start off and opened it up in the 2nd half with the passing game. Against the lesser opponents it seemed to work out in the end. Just not against a team that had as many good players as we had and had a QB who was a serious running threat.

When we missed the FG due to the penalty,we had 1st down at their 19, but Bobo went conservative with 2 straight runs for no gain. 3rd and long CB takes the sack! -LOL!

Dfense can't stop Milroe from picking up 1st downs at the end of the game.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Our loss against Bama had little to do with Bobo. We got manhandled on the LOS and made key mistakes. That's why we lost the game.

It will be Milroe against Beck once again next September. I definitely expect different results.

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2023

Yep, way too predictable. Ran between tackles on almost every first down and got virtually nowhere. It looked like the RBs were on a suicide mission. Could Bama have been more vulnerable to the run outside the tackles. Don't think we explored that much. I hope someone comes up with an alternative to the "bubble" screen or the "tunnel" screen, too. Would be interesting to find out how effective those plays really are.

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

Everything that can lead to a loss aligned perfectly in the SEC Championship Game against Bama.In addition to the injuries, from A to Z there were breakdowns in every phase of the game. If just one or two of those breakdowns could have been alleviated, there is possibly a different outcome to the game. Georgia & Alabama are still the two best teams in the country & when playing at that level, you have to be nearly perfect. While Bobo & Beck are crucial, the entire team needs to show up with their “A” game in Tuscaloosa next September, dominating from the opening kick. LEAVE NO DOUBT!! GO DAWGS!!!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Saying a loss had nothing to do with a coach is silly. Then why pay them millions of dollars per year? Why hand out awards to the best? Why is CKS a great coach if wins and losses have nothing to do with the coach? Why is Nick Saban considered the greatest coach of all time if not for his wins versus his losses?

Coaches get promotions based on wins and losses. It's how they are measured, like it or not. Mark Richt is a great human being but UGA fans in general wanted more than a 10 win season and a trip to the Capital One Bowl.

Stetson Bennet is the GOAT based on his 2 NC's.

i personally didn't see anything in the BAMA loss in terms of play calling that I thought was great or remarkable, or even innovative. Some on here kept saying Bobo was holding back his really awesome plays to surprise BAMA with, well where were they?

I've seen great play calling in big games before by Todd Monken. I hope I see it again under Bobo. But I didn't see it in the SECC game.

No we didn't execute like we could have, and maybe a couple of less sweeps trying to run around the end or a little more creativity in the passing game might have helped too. You think?

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Your obviously very critical of Bobo ( no sarcasm you certainly have a right to that) but any criticism of the Defense in that game ??

Speaking for Me, I’m in agreement with some other comments here. It takes a Team to win and a Team to lose. On Monken ( again No sarcasm) I Know I saw right here on DN some pretty hefty criticism at Monken from Some fans at times. Some even likened him to the Bobo of the past at UGA. Once he left and Bobo arrived those fans seemed to have vanished !!

Though I will Ever be grateful for all Monken did he like all human beings was Not perfect. There Were times just like with Bobo the Defense bailed him out, and other times just as with Bobo the Defense failed him.

In Both 2021 and 2022 Monken had better circumstances than Bobo. In 2021 he had Far better support from the Defense. In 2022 Stets and the O were better and Far less injuries.

So Bobo came in with less. Did Bobo make mistakes vs Bama ?? Yes he did. But he also helped to win 12 straight games, when many of the talking heads had said UGA would lose At Least one game regular season, some had us losing as many as three.

Lastly speaking for Me, I will go to my grave Believing Bama had significant help from officials to help them secure the 3 point win. Just my humble opinions.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Bobo didn't have his best game. However, he is paid 1 Million Dollars to "dance mon key dance" just like kermit sings in the gangsta muppet movie. Anyways, we can all laugh at how crappy a game Bobo called now because it isn't as painful anymore (not saying it still doesn't sting every time I see alarbammer in a playoff promotion).

When will Bobo win the big game? He has won several pretty big games in his career. Tennessee this year was great. Ole Miss was great. Missouri not so much but we won.

No more excuses Bobo. You will have several big opportunities to get it done next year. Don't be an eff up. Do your job or Kirby will find someone else better.

Note: The defense was not great either but they did enough to win. We can save the pontificating about the defense for another article but yes we need more depth and talent on the defensive line.