Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football finished on fire, but ‘what-ifs’ linger on CFP Semifinal Monday

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited January 1 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football finished on fire, but ‘what-ifs’ linger on CFP Semifinal Monday

ATHENS — New Year’s afternoon will be a tough watch for Georgia, who don’t need to wonder what might have been.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Please, let’s not start sounding like Michigan, Ohio State and even Alabama. We got beat! We ain’t going nowhere and our Dawgs will bounce back and be more hungry than ever! I, for one, am very proud of this team, especially the Seniors! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    ButchButch Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Did the FSU coach say anything about Georgia being a pretty good football team?

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Butch Not much beyond just that

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wonder how this would have all panned-out if Bama had not completed the miracle 4th and 31 pass against Auburn. Oh well, great season and amazing performance in the Orange Bowl. Go Dawgs and Happy New Year!!!

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BubbaBill I don't wonder ... Would not have been the same Alabama vs. Georgia

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“• The outgoing Georgia seniors, particularly Sedrick Van Pran and Kamari Lassiter, were tremendous leaders and paramount to a 50-4 record”

According to the 2023 roster, Kamari Lassiter is a Junior.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey Mike, what is your thoughts on the 4th and 4 completion that led to mama's TD at the end of the first half? I will give you my opinion: It was clearly an incomplete pass and the Refs didn't even bother to stop play to review the play. Sour Grapes on my part? You are darn straight!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 1

True, it would have significantly changed the SEC Championship game dynamics. Bama would have had 2 losses so a win over our Dawgs wouldn’t be good enough to make the playoffs. It’s possible the top 4 would have been Michigan, Washington, FSU and UGA with Texas being left out at #5. Two things certain are it doesn’t matter now and we can blame Auburn 😂

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Before the season started, I was really concerned about all the off-season distractions and the loss of a beloved teammate. As it turns out, the injuries all year long from start to finish were of huge consequence. Without the promising play of Branson Robinson, the backfield, usually a UGA strength, started off as a liability. Mid year, injuries kept mounting. By the championship game, UGA'S best player, best wide out and best linebacker were hobbled and not able to contribute their best. Brock and Ladd could not separate, which is usually their best traits, and Mondon was not able to play with the speed needed to stop Bama's QB. I know injuries are part of the game and all teams have them, but I don't recall a UGA season so impacted. The pressure is off to 3 peat, so I will repeat what I read earlier... 3 out of 4 in '24.

Go Dawgs

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Michigan played Iowa, freakin’ Iowa, for a conference championship, a ticket to the playoffs, and a one seed! Bama ain’t Iowa! Texas lost to two loss Oklahoma and beat a team that lost to South Alabama for a conference championship. Bama needs to hand the playoff committee a Wolverine head and a Longhorn steak on a silver platter to show them the idiocy of their ranking and seeding this year!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The committee thought UGA was number1, until we allowed a resurgent BAMA team to beat us by 3. So, for that. we got bumped from #1 to #6! You can't make this stuff up!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't like to dwell on What ifs, because it accomplishes absolutely NOTHING. You could play that sad record every single week during the regular season.

We needed to win the SEC Championship, and we didn't. Period. End of story. Let's MOVE FRICKIN' ON !!!!

Now, to next season...we will/should have the most talented and deep roster in college football. There will be no denying that. We also will have one of the toughest regular season schedules that we have ever faced. We cannot lose more than 2 games and expect to still make it to even a 12-team playoff. We've got LOTS of work to do in the meantime, but we are setup about as good as you can be for next season. If we don't make the playoffs then I'd say we have lost a great opportunity to win another Natty.

• Options
    BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike you are right about the team being tired after running the gauntlet of tough games at the end of the season. Bama on the other hand coasted in a relatively weak west.

Another issue that Kirby is too proud to make is the political one. You have raised the issue on Finebaum and elsewhere nationally but no way Sankey or Bama let an undefeated #1 seed Bama get knocked out of the CFP without some vigorous argument or debate particularly as Texas slides in with a weak scheduled.

And last but not least, there is no way a Michigan AD should have been on the selection committee after the cheating scandal broke. He should have recused himself and let the committee go one short. UGA still doesn’t get the political benefit of the doubt and needs Pres Moorehead or someone to assert some clout in the SEC boardroom.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 1

Mike, we've got a much tougher schedule next season, so I am not going to shed tears over our relatively easy schedule this season when you look at next season. It's a LOT tougher coming up this season, so we can't be making excuses about schedules.

Injuries are part of the game. Would Bowers or Mims playing made a difference? Who knows, and who really cares at this point? Not me. Why are we wasting time talking about what could have been? Geez.

Next season add in a tough as heck schedule with a 12 team playoff, and we'll be begging for this year's schedule.

Whichever team wins the National Championship game next season will more than deserve it.

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 1

At halftime in Pasadena FSU would probably be screaming that they would be doing much better against Michigan. The one thing that sticks out is the pressure Michigan has been able to get in the first half. 5 sacks! In our game against Bama we were not able to get that kind of pressure on Milroe. He sat back there and nailed us. Bobo for some reason can’t select a first down play other than run between tackles. And too often the same on the second down. Too predictable. Will have to “up” our game to be competitive next year.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Im done looking back, yep believe it or not Me navydawg is done with 2023. I’m now in looking forward mode. I’ll say this our Dawgs did win 12 straight and broke all sorts of records. No Way can I be ashamed of them, or even disappointed With them, I’m disappointed For them.

But I’m Super excited about the 2024 version of the Dawgs. As some of you have pointed out our Dawgs do have a gauntlet to run. But that should shut the mouths of the talking heads about strength of schedule.

But if Any HC and staff can prepare a team for tough going it’s Kirby Smart and staff !! I’m excited about the #1 recruiting class, I’m excited about the veteran players we’ll have coming back, and I’m excited about what Kirby has done thus far dipping his net in the TP.

Speaking of players coming back, because of injuries Allot of guys played a Ton of snaps, some all 13 games that Might not have played except only in garbage time. So though the injuries hurt us in 2023 in a perversely sort of ironic way those injuries may have seasoned and give experience to all those guys.

Carson Beck coming back was Huge, though I have plenty of confidence in Gunner to. I think 21 of 28 signees are Early Enrollees please correct me on that if I’m wrong. That’s helpful. Also I think 15 of those participated in Orange Bowl practices.

Lastly and this to is Very Important, our Dawgs aren’t the only team losing guys to the NFL and TP. Those teams we will play lost guys to. With NO disrespect at all what so ever, but in the Dawgs case, by and large the guys that hit the TP probably needed to do so. There might be a couple that we’d have liked to have kept, but mostly Dawgs traded up instead of down !! Go Dawgs !!