Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia cornerback Julian Humphrey enters transfer portal

2»

Comments

• ypcregypcreg Posts: 293 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Robinson was wearing #12. Was that already an indication?

• bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 292 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Though Humphrey is a talent I would have preferred staying, I just saw the highlight interceptions by Ellis Robinson in practice for the all-star game next Saturday. This guy is superhuman! Don't tell me a true freshman CB cannot start and contribute heavily to a CFP run. I'm sure Humphrey and other DBs witnessed some of this during December practices for the Orange Bowl. The cupboard may be less populated and young, but not remotely bare.

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Honestly, this feels more like a had-to situation. We're already riding the edge as far as scholarships go, so this feels like trimming. I thought he was doing better than Everette when he was playing, but that's just my personal opinion. Yes Everett got the INT in the OB. But in big games, he was getting shook and out ran constantly and never looking back.

• robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 113 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't necessarily know Humphrey would have been the CB answer opposite Everette next year, and as we saw in SECCG Everette is not yet a lockdown CB like we had in Lassiter. Hope someone will step up this spring/summer to become that guy. Having played that position in my youth, I always try to keep a special eye out for their play. It was a comfort knowing for the last two years, one of the opposing top receivers wouldn't do anything against us - proven in many games.

• NorthHallDawgNorthHallDawg Posts: 93 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is somewhat puzzling; however, I think we will see a DB that Donte Williams recruited come here from the portal. Alabama had one sign with them but there was another highly touted one entering the portal too. Humphrey seemed to be doing well; there's something here that seems clandestine.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He just published he was staying at UGA. So, somone got to him with more NIL? Promised him a starting job?

That could be the ultimate reason guys leave. (my theory) they're gauaranteed a starting spot with another team and don't have to compete their way to it.

UGA will always be about competition and the best man plays. Every HS senior coming to UGA believes his stuff don't stink until they get here and they realize it does.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The portal has become the glamour escape for NIL. Humphrey declared to stay, then suddenly...gone. No regard for the team, players or coaches...just get out there as a Dawg drop-out and make some fast money....and hopefully start without all this competitive hassle. It is tough to be a true Dawg...It wasn't in Humphrey's DNA.

• jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 3

He is making a huge mistake. He was projected to be a starter. With the best defense in the country. Don't know who's giving advice, but he should go talk to the coaches first.

• BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

His chances at starting went up tremendously with both AJ and Humphries gone. I don't think he starts as a freshman if those 2 guys had stayed. He still may not start game 1. Too much scheme has to be taught. Raw talent alone is not enough. We run a very complicated scheme and raw talent can only take you so far. Plus he is only 185 lbs and you also have to tackle 230 lb running backs and take on blocks from tight ends and big wrs if not occassionally a guard. So 7 on 7 skills are great but only part of the formula.

• BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I thought that guy was AJ honestly but Humphries was my 2nd choice. Now with both of them in the portal the other Harris is the leading candidate to stop opposite of Everette. We have 3 uber talented guys coming in but they all need to learn. AJ and Humphries both looking for paychecks.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why is everyone being so hard on Humphrey. The kid may have said he wanted to stay and maybe planned to stay, and then other information came in. Maybe it was NIL. Maybe, after the game, the coaches told him that Daniel Harris was going to get a strong look at the CB spot opposite Everette. Maybe the coaches told him there were no guarantees for 2024 and suggested he move on if that's what he was looking for. None of us really knows. Remember, before the Orange Bowl we were expecting Harris to go into the portal but after the game, after he had played a lot of minutes, he declared that he's "all Dawg." So who knows? I honestly don't think that a single UGA player in the TP has caught Kirby off guard or without a solid backup plan. No need to blast Humphrey. Wish him well and let's see what the new kids on the block can do. Go Dawgs!