Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What made Brock Bowers the best player in Georgia football history

2»

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Brock won't be the "last great UGA" TE. IMO

CMR started the great "Tight End hunt" in Athens....and Kirby picked up, where he left off, with Isaac Nauta.

I just wonder what Herschel would've done with the tight end position and a gunslinger QB. Lol

It might be fun...but, it's fruitless to compare statistical data from 2 different eras in the sport.

Great Dawgs IMO....

Sinkwich.....Trippi.....Tarkenton....Goff....Walker.... Woerner [ST]....Scott....Davis....etc..

Bowers stands with the most impactful Bulldogs, because of his love for football and his elite intangibles. Not because, "he's more talented or physically imposing....or Stat-rich".

• Options
    Louis8478Louis8478 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior

I say both were an important and necessary piece to championship teams. I think the word "best" is an overused word in a team sport , especially a sport with eleven players on offense and defense. Herschel was a force back in his day and the offense revolve around him. The offense didn't necessary revolve around Brock but the schemes were drawn up to take advantage of his talents and even intimidate opposing defensive schemes. To keep it simple, both were great players and the best coaches put the ball in their best players hand. Some might argue the Champ Baily should be in the conversation. He just didn't win a championship. But Brock was special and dawgs will always appreciate him. Herschel was sort of a head of his time and very impactful. Both were great players for the Dawgs. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    edited January 3

You can bet your bottom dollar...Sinkwich and Trippi were just as good...and, just as important to the 1942 version of UGA Champions. It's just that there aren't many people left that can say..."they were the best". But they were right there, with Walker & Bowers....WRT impact and dominance.

My HS HC caught a TD pass from Trippi in the '44 Sugar Bowl, I believe it was. And. He told me a few Sinkwich & Trippi stories. He should've won the Heisman, by all rights.

• Options
    Louis8478Louis8478 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thanks BigDawg61. Every era is different. As dawgnation viewers can see from all the comments on the subject, there are different opinions on the words "best player". Whether it's a player's position, durability, competition, or stats, the words "best player" are subject to debate.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Brock is the best player in Georgia history across eras. Players are bigger stronger and faster now and Herschel would not have been the same impact in today's game. Brock would have been just as dominant if not more so in any of the other eras. Thus, he is the greatest.

• Options
    edited January 3

Herschel was a horse with Olympic track speed that could run, block and catch. You can't tell me, he wouldn't have had the same impact.

He may have been used a little different....but, you could say the same, about Bowers playing in Sinkwich or Herschels era of football.

A [4.25] 40yd dash means the same thing now, that it meant in 1942 and 1980.

• Options

Players are bigger, stronger....and, maybe faster. I haven't seen a lot of comparative data on "speed"....other than Olympic trials.

Imagine what Sinkwich, Trippi and Walker could've done with all the bodybuilding, health and training advancements made between their era and today.

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior

As much as I love Brock, Herschel is the best football player in Georgia History.

Herschel Career- Games-33 Att-994 Yds-5,259 Avg-5.3 Lng-76 TD-49 Rec-26 Yds-243 TD-4

Brock Career- Games-40 Att-19 Yds-193 Avg-10.2 Lng-75 TD-5 Rec-175 Yds-2,538 TD-26

Herschel did not get to add any of his Sugar bowl stats, they were not included back in 1981,1982, and 1983.

• Options
    edited January 3

There it is! I refuse to devalue the contributions of the former greats in order to enshrine the newbies. Time will tell, where Brock stands with respect to the Walkers. Trippi's and Tarkentons.

IMO....There's about 10 or 15 Dawgs that live in the "rare air"....& Bowers is one of em. But, that's just an opinion. The term "best" is a relative term, depending on the data point[s].

Bowers will never have more yds or TD's than a Herschel Walker or more completions than Charlie Trippi. And, they will never have more catches than Bowers. What do you think that means, in the grand scheme of things?....Nothing. Football is about far more than "stats".

Stats are the only connection to football, that most sportswriters have. It's what they understand....so, that's what they use to define a player or team. Unjustly, in most cases...I might add.

• Options
    TIMLAW10TIMLAW10 Posts: 46 ✭✭ Sophomore

Anyone thinking Brock, who is great, is a better football player than Herschel Walker is delusional.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭ Junior

Conner is young so of course he’s gonna say stuff like this. You can’t compare different eras. I’d put Brock about number 6 in my top 10 of all time great Dawgs.

• Options
    busterchapbusterchap Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

I have lived thru Tarkenton to Walker to Bowers! Tark was so talented and crazy fun to watch make fools out of defensive linemen! Bowers was that guy that you wanted as a son or son-in-law who was an exceptional football player! Herschel Walker had us all in AWE and will always be the greatest player in UGA history!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I knew the moment I saw those clips of BB running up those hills in California that this guy was different and then sending those clips to prospective coaches(if my memory serves me correctly),

"Here's my calling card, this is what I do. This is who I am. THis is who you'd be getting if you give me the chance.

• Options

Randy McMichael, former UGA teriffic TE told the story the other day on J 92.9 the game that for the longest time he wouldn't allow his son to get a UGA jersey(I forget what he sais his reasoning for that was) but his son became old enough and he said. OK I'll get you a jersey!

Guess whose jersey his son wanted? Yep, Brock Bowers.

• Options

Tarkenton became an All-Pro QB in the NFL but for UGA he threw more interceptions than TD's.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Conner, Conner, Conner. The old Abe Lincoln quote comes to mind. "Better to remain silent and be thought a......

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Best player in the history of UGA football. Tough call to say the least. Brock is clearly on the ballot as are Trippi, Tarkenton, and Walker. All great players. It’s tough to avoid generational bias. The under 40 folks will pick someone from their generation. Real old timers will find the choice must more difficult. As one of the latter folks, I will say I never saw a more dominate player than Walker. Speed and strength that are difficult to appreciate unless you saw him play in person. Bowers certainly the best player in college football these last two seasons IMO.

On balance, Herschel was the best player I have ever seen play in college with Auburn great Bo Jackson pushing hard for first place. But as. Dawg, I am going with Herschel. One thing is for sure, Brock and Herschel are DGD’s! Watching them has been great fun.

• Options

That's kinda the point, Red....they didn't do a lot of "passing" back then....it was more of a "3yds and a cloud of dust" offensive playing style.

Despite the fact Tark could throw the ball [as proven in the NFL]...ya gotta have some targets to throw to and plays that call for a pass.

It doesn't make him a lesser QB or player.

As far as running up hills.....you didn't see Walker [and many others] do it....because they didn't have all that stylish recording equipment and the internet to post it on, if they did. I assure you...all of em work out before reporting to UGA.

Walter Payton was also known to "run the hill"....and I know of at least 2 former Dawgs that did it, off my HS team [not including myself].

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Obviously, some of the younger folk fail to grasp how fast (4.25 in the 40), or how strong ( blocking DL and literally lifting them a foot or more off the ground by simply lifting a shoulder into them) Herschel was. He would be just as fast and strong in any era. He’s literally the fastest running back in UGA history. I don’t care what years you talk about. 4.25 in the 40 is 4.25 in the 40 in any era.