Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football early favorite for 2024 CFP Championship

SystemSystem Posts: 10,480 admin
edited January 4 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football early favorite for 2024 CFP Championship

ATHENS — The Georgia football brand remains stronger than ever, even after the previously-No. 1-ranked Bulldogs were snubbed by the CFP Committee.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MikeGriffith why hasn’t Dawgnation mentioned the transfer of the South Carolina defensive linemen McLeod.

• Options
    ypcregypcreg Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It looks like we have enough talent on both sides. The biggest question marks seem to be on OL and DL.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Go figure why Walter Nolen and LT Overton didn't come over as part of the Great Jimbo Hangover Firesale. Either or both might have addressed our DL needs. But guys like Brinson, Nazir and Mykel (plus this year's freshmen) should do better with another year under their belts.

As for that A&M firesale: I'm still hoping Evan Stewart decides on UGA and fits in well. He'd be our highest ranked WR in many, many years (going by HS evaluations), and we'd end up with an insanely deep WP room.

After not being strut his stuff in College Station, somebody like Stewart ought to be salavating to catch passes from the best returning QB in the country. The value of playing in a great offense and going high in the draft would trump any advantage he might get at another school from NIL.

But, of course, my baseling thinking is that any five-star player is insand if he doesn't crave playing at UGA. So I guess I'll cop to the tought that my bias may be clouding my judgment. 😁

• Options
    Louis8478Louis8478 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

Does ESPN support this narrative?

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭ Junior

I love your reporting Mike, but I have to take issue with how you framed Carson's decision to return for another year. To say he "negotiated a deal" to return is disingenuous at best and un-truthful at worst. It sounds like he only came back because he was paid to. Carson's own comments indicated how little the NIL money meant to his decision to return. Instead, he was more interested in (1) improving as a QB to get drafted higher and (2) coming back to try and win a national title of his own. The NIL money was going to be there no matter where he went and there was nowhere he could transfer were he would have a better opportunity to win and to make it to the NFL. All of the NIL dollars in the world at another school would not change that. Endless discussion about how much he is getting paid is rampant speculation because there is no authoritative source of information and those that do know aren't saying. It is likely far less than the reports of $2 to $4 million.

I know you have your sources, and some of them are probably agents and the like, who have a vested interest in pumping up the money side of the equation. However there is an intangible value in playing at Georgia that far exceeds any short term gain. Just look at the comments from Julian Humphrey: "why would I leave Georgia for a couple more bucks? I want to be there, it is Georgia and that is one of the top premier programs in the country.”

By continuing to harp on the money side of the equation you are missing the bigger picture. Money isn't everything and most of these players that are sticking with the program get it. That being said, I am not naïve either and certainly these players are getting paid and deserve what money they can make. However it is not the be all, end all. I just wish you would quit treating it as such.

Also, for the record, guard rails be damned. We are getting along just fine in this new era of college football and the last thing we need is collective bargaining for college athletes. College football should dump the NCAA and create their own governing organization for the power 4 programs. The transfer portal has created a much more equal playing field for teams that can't offer as much money to recruits but can offer playing time.

Sermon over.