Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What latest transfer addition says about Georgia football wide receiver room

SystemSystem Posts: 10,449 admin
edited January 4 in Article commenting
imageWhat latest transfer addition says about Georgia football wide receiver room

ATHENS — Carson Beck knew Georgia wanted to go out and surround him with better talent. It came up in conversations with the Georgia coaching staff when Beck was still deciding whether or not to return to Georgia for another season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Michael Jackson from USC sounds like a solid get. Just needs reps working with Beck and he should transition in fine. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    SR_JRSR_JR Posts: 45 ✭✭ Sophomore

What it means is that we don't trust that the ones we recruited out of high school are ready! Does this fall on the player or the development of the player (reciever coach). Were we not able to contact the #1 receiver in the portal?

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't think this has anything to do with trusting the recruits out of high school, it's about depth, something Kirby always tries to have plenty of, in case of injuries.

• Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

One thing about being a Dawg fan is we are a premier team and even though we fell short we're looking forward to next year. My brother-in-law is a Florida graduate and a bullgator supporter, he has big bucks, but man he's about as down on their team as I've seen in the last 40 years.

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well it's good he's coming but is he 5'4" or 6'7"? Does he weigh 160 or 220? Does he run a 4.3 or 5.5? Excellent journalism again by Conner.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 4

This one is a head scratcher. Not particularly productive and only 1 yr of eligibility left. Seems like a punt returner insurance policy. May also be indicative of Lovette heading off to the NFL or the TP as a graduate. More attrition expected at WR. Hopefully not DBell who is due to break out in '24.

Those 85 scholarship positions are like gold. Did UGA pull the trigger too soon with McCloud and MJ II? Still need to add an experienced back up QB from the TP. Those 85 scholarship positions are like gold.

• Options

I mean you No sarcasm. But you know that Kirby knows those 85 scholarships are gold. Does Kirby and staff make mistakes occasionally on the recruiting trail and the TP ?? Well of course they do !! It’s Extremely and underline that three times to Absolutely know what your getting in a player. I don’t care Who the Coach is, he’s not gonna get it right every time. There Will be misses. BUT Kirby and staff get it Right by Far more times than they get it wrong.

Look no further than Ladd McConkey a Grossly under recruited player. In fact I don’t recall ( I could be wrong on this) any D1 schools recruiting him. But Kirby saw “something” in Ladd and scooped him up !! If Kirby knew championship horses like he does CFB players he’d be a multi-billionaire on horse race betting !!

And Yes there’s a possibility that he could have picked this guy Jackson up because the grape vine says some one else is leaving. BUT it could just simply be a matter of insurance against injuries. Kirby just went through his ( the program) worse year in terms of injuries in his entire tenure at UGA.

I’m thinking he’s just doing all he can to have as many Experienced guys on the roster as possible. No this guys stats aren’t earth shattering, but like Ladd, apparently Kirby “see’s” some potential in this guy. And Again he could end up being a total bust, that IS gonna happen occasionally, but he could turn out to be very solid for the Dawgs and be a solid contributor.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with critiquing and analyzing Kirby’s decisions that’s part of what makes this site fun !! But there’s also plenty of room to Trust Kirby’s decisions as well. He’s done an Excellent job thus far. It’s a give and take situation. Sometimes a guy right out of HS will just be So naturally athletically gifted and have the cerebral knowledge that they’ll out perform a guy that’s a Junior with allot of real game snaps. Sometimes.

But it works the other way to, Sometimes the Junior might not have as much natural athletic ability but he might be more Cerebral about the college level game. Or Hopefully getting him from the TP he has both.

I think Kirby is just trying to have as much meat on the bone as possible. So far from the outside looking in I think he’s working the TP pretty well. As has already been stated by others I’d like to see him pick up some more beef on the DL and maybe an Experienced Outside LB if possible. But he’s positioning the Dawgs to win in my humble opinion.

• Options
    jdawg19jdawg19 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Looks like the NFL Culture continues.

• Options

@UGADad20 Your gonna think I’m picking on you !! But I’m not. But I don’t see a break neck need to sign another QB. IF a high quality guy came along it’d be nice to snag him. But in my humble opinion Dawgs already have their Four QBs. The preferred walk-on from Perry just led is 5A school to the State Championship. Vandergriff that just left to KY played at a Class A school.

The kid from Perry would probably be a starter at some of the lower tier D1 schools, he’s no slouch !! In my humble opinion we have greater needs at this juncture than QB. God Forbid but should Beck get injured Gunner showed he’s a Very capable QB. In fact he brings a different skill set than Beck that in time could make him a great QB. But I’m looking forward to the more experienced Beck. Puglisi would be a true freshman, but as an early enrollee he’s getting all he Can get experience wise. Took in the Orange Bowl practices so he’s doing what he can.

Could be wrong on this but if my memory serves the kid from Perry is already on campus as an early enrollee. Anyway in my humble opinion the DL, Outside LBs and the Secondary in that order are the primary needs. Just my opinions, put the appropriate $$ with Em will get you a sammich from BK !! 😀 Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, I really don’t know anymore about Jackson, other than he has one year and coming from USC, than I did before I wasted my time reading the article. It’s just another rehash of the rehash.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hot dang! If you look at all this talent across all four "classes" of WRs now either in or coming soon, plus great TEs and RBs, and a world class QB room, this is going to possibly be the most balanced, explosive offense we've ever seen at UGA.

This all presumes that CKS can retain all this great firepower AND manage all their personalities into a unified group like the past three years. I'm guessing that's why they pay him eight figures every year, so he'll get it done 😁👍

Personally, I'm super excited... the tough part is having to wait eight months to see the rubber hit the road 🫤🙄🤣

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

BINGO!, WildmanSlayer.....it's all about having FRESH targets rotating in and the security of depth....Dom may leave or may return...he needs another year... but for sure Arian, Rara D-Bell are our proven aces....Anthony Evan III is rising fast and Nitro and Sacovie bring great promise.....Speer and T-William bring experience but need more development....then add the proven experience of Humphreys, Young and Jackson who are hot to show off their talents so expect big thing from them.......oh jeeezzzz, I almost forgot Delp, Luckie, Spurlin, Reddell and Heinrich, the Most Talented TE room in America.....If there's one thing for sure....in 2024 CB will not want for targets!

• Options

Ohhhh Yesss !!! It’s hard Not to be excited about the 2024 Dawgs !!! Allot of firepower on Offense !! And in a perverse sort of way the 2023 injuries made it where Allot of youth played Allot of snaps on Defense, so that experience ( Even the bad experiences) should help on the Defensive side to !! G Day can’t get here soon enough to suit me !!!

In my humble opinion the Dawgs Offense will be Three dimensional in 2024 !!! Pound the ball with RBs, or chip away with short to intermediate passes to WRs, TEs and RBs or More deep shots in 2024 than we saw this year. I honestly think we’ll see more deep shot Completions this year than 2023 !!

We’re losing some Great players, no doubt, but we’ve Still got Allot of great players and some with Huge potential as early enrollees !! I’m looking forward to The Hunt !!! Go Dawgs !!!

• Options

And seeing a Sad mud lizard fan always makes a Dawgs fan feel good !! 😀 Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

@navydawg - Yes! I agree that next season we will be seeing more of the deep ball with Carson. That may have been another reason why he came back, because that really is a weakness in his game. He hasn't been consistent with the deep ball. Stetson was the same way - he was considered a runner and a short to medium pass thrower but very inconsistent with the deep ball. He came back from the off season and it was clear he had been working on his deep passes and the rest is history. I see that for Carson as well, he is going to work hard to make that weakness into a strength - we are going to be in good shape next year in the passing game! GO DAWGS!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 4

CKS (not me) said he would like to have a 4th (scholarship) QB. Think about it. CKS likes to cover all his bases. Michael Jackson III is his punt returner insurance. We just saw Anthony Evans let almost every punt FSU had ( and there were a lot) hit the ground. Unforgivable for a PR on UGA. FYI Saw some highlights on MJ3. If he put on a UGA #10 jersey you'd swear it was Kearis Jackson (related?).

So CKS likes to cover all his bases. UGA is a definite playoff team in '24 with a shot at the title. CBeck gets hurt. Now you have no experienced QB with which to compete for the championship. Just CKS covering his bases. Otherwise you are taking a chance at blowing a chance at a championship because you are rolling out a green QB.

3* Colter Ginn might be a player in 2-3 years. Certainly not ready to play in the playoffs in '24. 5* BVG was here 3(?) years and he was barely ready to begin the ascent to playoff caliber QB.

You are right. There are still other needs. But anyone else you bring in now means someone else has to go. That's why I was surprised that CKS paid a high price (1/85th) for punt returner insurance. MJ3 played 9 games (17 catches) last year and 8 (17 catches) the year before. He gets hurt a lot apparently. Makes me believe we haven't seen the last of the attrition.

This team will be very good next year if Lanning can bring back the UGA standard for rushing defense. DL will be the key (again).

• Options
    SloanDawgSloanDawg Posts: 24 ✭✭ Sophomore

Nice to see, but how’s this gonna stop our DL from getting slapped around again next season? Really surprised at the lack of backfill at the DT position.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

is Lanning returning? :)

• Options

Oh I had read where Kirby said he’d like to have another QB. I didn’t mean to come across like you pulled that out of the air. Sorry if I sounded that way. But it’s gonna be some what of a challenge to find one. At least a high quality QB. And speaking for Me I don’t want to see Gunner pushed into looking at the TP.

After Beck leaves I can see a future with Gunner at the helm. We Know that there’s usually no Gimmes at UGA under Kirby. But Beck unless he just totally and inexplicably nose dived Will he the 2024 starter. As he should be. I don’t think Gunner will be scared of competition. But in his mind he’s probably thinking that he’s the starter for 2025. If he puts in the work I’m saying. And Puglisi I’m sure knows he’ll have to wait his time.But he’s probably thinking that if he puts in the work he’ll be the man in 2026 or 2027.

So if Kirby could find a QB of pretty good quality with one year of eligibility remaining, it wouldn’t intimidate Gunner into looking at the TO I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to picking up a Quality Experienced QB.

On this Jackson from USC I haven’t looked at film of him, but if he’s in the line of Kearis Jackson he’ll be a good get !! His stats don’t look that great but perhaps he’ll fare better in Bobo’s system. And we Do need a reliable punt/kick returner. Absolutely agree on that.

You said Lanning but I think you meant Schumann but I got your point and agree. I lose track of time with these guys, but won’t Gunner be going into his 3rd year in 2024 ?? Not knocking on Vandergriff but I’m thinking Gunner might well be the better of the two.

Some fans have compared in a favorable way Young the transfer from Miami to Lawrence Cager who as you know also came from Miami. If he’s close to the same caliber as Cager he will be a Real good get !! The young man from Vandy was their top receiver if I read right in him ?? We’re shaping up nicely at receiver So Far. Hopefully none of the Key guys will hit the TP.

To close though we Really, Really need some Sure Stop guys on the DL to shut down the opponents rush game we got gashed this year on the edge, but have the versatility to create Havoc on rushing the opposing QB and Sack him, QB hurries are pretty good, but I want to see more Legal sacks. Can’t throw the ball laying on your back !!

And be able to shut the dual threat QBs down more efficiently as done in the past. It’s all gonna start coming together. Looking forward already to the glorified scrimmage that is G Day !! Oh and I’m Extremely excited about the RB room !! Should have Tons of firepower coming from that room !!