Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Heisman Trophy favorites: Carson Beck atop list with SEC quarterback rivals

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited January 6 in Article commenting
imageHeisman Trophy favorites: Carson Beck atop list with SEC quarterback rivals

ATHENS — Carson Beck ranks among the top Heisman Trophy candidates for next season, and the Georgia quarterback will have an opportunity to go head-to-head with them.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think Beck needs to work on deep throws as much or more than scrambling/extending plays. Both are keys to his development and success in 2024.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How many qbs threw for more yards than Beck this year? Not many.

How many qbs from the above are coming back next year?

We are lucky to have Beck coming back. He was a low 1st high 2nd round guy. This will solidify him as a top 20 pick or better. He is doing all of that (the yards and tds) with not a single bona fide blue chipper who was healthy. Pretty incredible imo. Imagine what he could do if he had the wrs that Bama or OSU or Washington has? And yes, those other wrs would catch his deep balls.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beck will have to play at Heisman level to run the gauntlet of Georgia's 2024 schedule and come out reasonably unscathed. But that's precisely why he came back... not to win the Heisman, but to show others once-and-for-all what he's made of, have a blast in making another natty run, and boost his draft stock... shades of Stetson Bennet . Go Dawgs!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep. Agree. And Beck doesn’t seem to have any problems with work ethics as Kirby has touted him about that. So the Want To is definitely there. He knows this is his last opportunity to showcase his skills to the NFL, so like you I think he will bust his butt in the off season to get better.

Arm strength is no problem he often over throws his receiver, then on the next deep throw it’s like he throttles it back To much and under throws it. So it’s a timing thing, and That is fixable. He gets the timing down on those deep throws and he’ll be very dangerous !!

Getting Truss and Ratledge back on the O line was Huge for Beck !! They can help solidify that unit and give Beck the time he needs to make those throws. Beck has been through the fire now, so his confidence should be pretty strong. Like you I’m thinking he’s gonna be a blazing gun in 2024 !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options

On Milroe, he’s vulnerable to a good pass rush as MI showed. Dawgs did better in the SECCG than they had in much of the regular season, but not enough.

I’m sure Hoping that Kirby and staff can get that unit up to a higher level of play. And not just vs Milroe but All opposing QBs. As Yall know after a QB has been sacked quite a few times he starts to feel defenders footsteps that aren’t really there and will tend to throw the ball to quickly leading to more misses and more INT opportunities.

It’s imperative that our D Line get more sacks and more QB hurries. That was one of the most significant pieces missing in the 2023 Dawgs in my humble opinion. Not knocking on those Dawgs at all, actually I’m very proud of them.

Twelve straight regular season wins was nothing to sneeze at. A disappointing loss in the SECCG by only three points, and utter destruction of FSU in the Orange Bowl. In our hearts as Dawgs fans we Know that our Dawgs should have been in that final four as one of the “Best” teams. On to 2024 and Revenge !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beck will have a better season than '23 if a couple of the WRs emerge as go-to guys. =

Of the remaining guys, Bell came closest to that particularly toward the end season. Colbie Young and Rara Thomas could emerge. But we're still a bit thin there, and none of the TEs can play the role than Bowers did.

This is why I'm still holding sceances to summon the spirit of Evan Stewart. 😉Given the passing yards that UGA has put up with two different QBs over the last two seasons, we ought to be able to attract elite receivers.

If the bluechippers are worried about not racking up stats at Georgia, they shouldn't be. Bowers would've have topped 1,000 yards if he hadn't been injured in '23 -- same with Adonai in 2022 and Pickens in 2021. An elite WR -- whether a speedster or a high-pointer or a great routerunner or some combination -- is going to get the ball from Beck ... a lot.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As usual...@MikeGriffith is looking at the "simple version" of everything. Lol

Milroe did not "outperform" Beck..."as a quarterback". He broke free several times...because UGA's defense was loaded with Freshmen and youth due to injuries. Which led to breakdowns and blown assignments. Beck shoulda' been so lucky.

That's why Milroe and Bama beat the Dawgs. Plain and simple. What concerns me is...why can't Mike Griffith see or say that?

Also...comparing Bennett's '22 season to Milroe's rookie season...is ridiculous on it's face.

Unlike Mr. Milroe...Bennett was among the Heisman favorites, early in the season. Lost favor among the voters as the season progressed...THEN...got that so-called Heisman-Bump at the end. Milroe's '23 effort isn't even on the same planet as Bennett's '22 season.

Griffith needs to "try" again. Lol

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 6

@BigDawg61 Agree, Milroe finished sixth in Heisman votiing, Stetson was fourth -- both got late push in voting because of SEC Championship Game, as neither was first-team All-SEC or All-American.

As for the SEC title game.... Alabama made the plays, Georgia didn't. It was not the Bulldogs' best day.

You can blame the defense or special teams ... but it was also the offense. Unable to convert on third-and-short, having a mobile QB made a difference for Bama, and so did not having any turnovers at QB --- and Milroe did not meltdown vs. Dawgs like he did Michigan.

The 2023 SEC Championship Game is a tough pill for Georgia fans to swallow, but it happened.

Jalen Milroe was named the SEC Championship Game MVP -- I'm not sure how you could suggest he didn't out-perform Beck in this one head-to-head instance, just being objective.

Is it simple to recognize the facts? Maybe.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 6

@CandlerPark Good call.... the Georgia receiver corps needs another shot in the arm.... losing McConkey/Bowers far outweighs adding Young, Humphreys.

I will say the Etienne addition is really really big, and more will and should be expected from Lovett and RaRa.

But UGA needs that scary X receiver that changes how teams' defenses play you --- Dawgs missed Adonai Mitchell dearly, to the point I'd say if he had stayed they would have won the SEC title game and CFP.

They were not that far off this season. Just one bad day vs. Bama after a tough stretch of Nov. games

• Options

He didn't out-quarterback Beck. He out rushed him. Are you forgetting the physical state of UGA's offensive line in the SECCG? Injuries effected both sides of the ball.

Bowers and McConkey were operating at about 80-85%...which effected perimeter blocking, at a minimum.

With all of the injuries and reduced capabilities on the UGA side of the field....the match up was "evened-up" for Milroe and Bama to take advantage. Otherwise, UGA would've put an Ole Miss/Mizzou ass whippin' on em.

There's no telling how bad the Dawgs would've beaten Michigan, with the "healthy team" that showed up in the Orange Bowl. But...they would've beaten em. They were saved by the Committee. "Simple as that".

Seein' as how Bama and Michigan were so "evenly matched" in the CFP Semi's. That was the same Bama team that "beat" lame UGA in the SECCG by only 3 points.

Yeah...Bama beat UGA or UGA lost to Bama. However you want to look at it. Lol...but. IMO....that alone, doesn't make Milroe a "Better quarterback". What it does...is make him a luckier quarterback. Same, goes for Saban and Bama.

Losing a game is part of football. Everybody loses sometime. I've got no problem with that. My problem is with the way the CFP....4 team, 12 team, whatever...generates the list of teams that qualify. Why not have a true 32 team...6 week playoff to find a Champion.

You know....the way EVERY OTHER SPORT finds their "Champion". This whole thing smells corrupt to the core...and, Kirby knows it. He's trying to get you guys to question the way things are being done. And, that's not, "just in the playoffs".

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith

Keeping the WR’s healthy through Spring and Fall camp would be an effective “shot in the arm” for the Offense. There’s a lot of talent in that room currently, but the injury challenge seems to be the one that needs some attention.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 6

I do agree with several of the comments below concerning 2 things: 1) Beck staring down receivers too long and 2) needs to get more comfortable with the deep passing balls. Those kind of throws were few and far between. But, he is a baller, and I expect him to be even better next season. He should be in the running for the Heisman if he keeps on track.

I think Nico of Tennessee is going to definitely turn some heads next season. If you got to see him play against Iowa you were pretty impressed. He has picked up the offense quickly and will grow more next year.

Ewers is an interesting case. He can look fantastic one game and then totally awful the next. You never know which QB is going to take the field - the one who rips great passes for big gains and runs like a gazelle, or the guy who throws 3 interceptions and can't hit the side of a barn. Manning will be gunning for his job this Spring.

I'm still not convinced of all the hype around Milroe. Yes, he helped beat the Dawgs, but the Bama LOS and our mistakes were the main reasons we lost - not Milroe. He was very flustered during the Michigan game and barely passed for over 100 yards. If you can make him sweat and contain his legs then he can be nullified pretty easily. He looked pretty pedestrian against the Wolverines.

• Options
    edited January 6

@MikeGriffith Mike no sarcasm from me to You or any of the other writers here at DN. I know there will be future articles where the SECCG will be brought up for statistical comparisons and the like. But as a long time and very devout Dawgs fan I wish as best as possible that You and other writers here at DN would move Forward and away from that game. Look to the future.

YES it’s extremely painful to Dawgs fans. And I’ve noticed that many times it invites some pretty harsh arguments among Dawgs fans. There’s not much by way of Positive fruit to be gained by rehashing it. Any Dawgs fan by now that doesn’t know how that game ended has either been in deep space out of communication or in a terrible deep coma.

Again I Know there will be times that You and other writers will Have to refer to it in context with the stories you will be writing in terms of comparisons etc. But Please as much as possible I Respectfully request that You and All the other writers start packing that game into the record books. It’s finished. Let’s look toward 2024. Thank You !! P.S. Hey Mike if you would run a poll on what position does UGA Yet need most ?? QB, WR, DT, DE, OLB, CB ?? Would be interesting to see what folks say !! Mine is if possible a Very high quality DT, some one that can close the middle against the run, but also create allot of push to sack the QB. Hoping the big man from SC can help on that.

• Options

That was a pretty good take, Montana. Although, I wouldn't put the lack of a "long ball", squarely on Beck's shoulders. I think he's capable of making all the throws....but. needs time and targets.

That was inconsistent throughout the year...IMO. Mainly due to WR availability and inconsistencies in the running game....which is a play-action requirement in UGA's offensive style.

All that, will get squared away, before the Dawgs face Clemson. He'll learn, what I call, "The JT Daniels" lesson. Throw the ball where your talented Receivers can use that talent to "make a play". Place the ball on the opposite shoulder of the DB to give your guy a better chance to "make the play".

If he does that....there's only 3 things that can happen [Incomplete, Complete or Interference]. Note....one of em, isn't "interception". Bennett picked it up, from Daniels. Look what it did for his game. You gotta give the Pickens' and McConkey's a chance to make that catch.

If you overthrow em by an inch...it may as well be a mile. That's what Beck needs to work on, IMO. Milroe could potentially improve His game, as well. We'll see.

I do know, if Jalen puts his passing game together....he could be as dominant as Michael Vick or Vince Young....or, even Cam Newton. But, that's a big ask...from what I saw, this year.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawg61...definitely not all Beck's issue with the long ball. I SO remember a couple of great downfield passes that were dropped...by Arian Smith...Argh. At least he caught one in the FSU game! I'll be curious to see who really steps up and stands out to replace a talent in the slot like McConkey. We've certainly got the bodies, but do we have a consistent talent that can create space, has great hands, knows when to sit in the gap in zone coverage, and who can go up and get the ball away from the defender. Who will it be next season?

• Options
    edited January 6

FYI....Navy....

This week...after the Bowl games....Bill Connelly and ESPN came out with their "Final FPI Rankings" [Power Index].

Guess who moved into #1 for the 1st time, this season. That's right....UGA!

Guess who dropped to #2 for the 1st time. That's right...Michigan!

And, Connelly is a BIG10 Homer. What does that say about the so-called "best four"?. Lol

There's a fact for ya...@MikeGriffith . Why don't you run an article on that?

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bottom line is Georgia played the worst game at the worst possible time of the year with how all the other conferences had contenders that they didn’t the last several years and the other team played one of their best, with assistance from the refs on 2 huge calls or no calls as the case may be. BUT we still only lost by 3 on a neutral field and fell further than any #1 ranked team has ever fallen. Any team past 6th has ever made the playoffs and 2 teams did it this year. That stinks something awful from that ridiculous playoff committee. Some people will disagree, but that’s fine, but we are one of the 4 best teams in the country, and I think we are THE best despite the one loss. That game in September that was beat to death held way too much weight. Neither team was the same after that game.

It would have been interesting to see the chemistry between Beck and AD Mitchell. Possibly could have been the needed difference in the sec title game, like Griffith mentioned. The sec making Georgia drop OK came back to bite us. I still don’t understand why they made Georgia drop that game. The return game wasn’t until 2031 so it wouldn’t have made any difference. I’m sure Kirby would have loved to had that game on the schedule.

Going for 3 out of 4 in 2024! 34 weeks to kickoff! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    edited January 6

Arian Smith has been a "work in progress", since he arrived. He's got the breakaway speed, but, I haven't seen much improvement on his focus or blocking. He's making the same mistakes, he made in year one.

Now...that could be, because he's injured every year. Which is a concern, in and of itself. If he's gonna see the field next year...that has got to change.

I don't think Kirby and Bobo have given up on him yet...but...IMO, he's got some work to do, between now and August, if he is planning on having an impact in '24. UGA's got some ballplayers coming in this year...experienced and inexperienced.

By the way....for a QB to throw the long ball...there has to be a trust and silent communication between the QB and Receiver. This was, by all rights, Beck's 1st year. I expect him to make the same leap Bennett made....once he was given the keys to the offense.

Bennett...Having Daniels and Monkin looking over his shoulder, throughout the '21 season...was "driven" to excel in '22. I just wonder if Beck feels that same heat from Gunner and Bobo..

Can't wait to see the '24 version of Dawgs. Lol

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BigDawg61

You sound more and more like those whiny, excuse-making Tide and Byckeye fans everyday.