Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football lands commitment from transfer quarterback Jayden Maiava

2»

Comments

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good for you Conner. You're learning. This time you gave his height and weight along with a few stats. Great progress.😀

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You gotta have crazy confidence to leave school after throwing for that many yards and TDs and go across the country for a guaranteed backup role this year and a stud waiting in the wings.

I’m not sure how I feel about adding another in the same class as Stockton but you have to admire the belief in yourself.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Defense wins championships!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA practices are notoriously physical. For everyone except the QB's. QB's are in no contact black jerseys 95% of the time unless it is a full scrimmage.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

True that. But I bet the practices are as hard for no contact as possible for a QB !! Kirby wants the practices to be tougher than a real game so the players say, so that when it’s time to play their a little less intimidated by the gauntlet. Seems to lend to more injuries than other programs but Hey it works. 2023 was the worse year of Kirby’s tenure, but allot of those injuries Did happen in real games.

Anyway Kirby has the four scholly QBs now we’ll see what happens. He knows allot better than I do what’s best. I think it’s setting up for another run at a Natty !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Welcome aboard!

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe that along with depth and competition, another advantage of having 4 QB's is being able to run more practice drills concurrently for the offense (especially the skill players). With more QB's (they will actually have 5 counting a PWO), you can have more of your receivers and DB's involved in drills instead of waiting in line for a rep. It is interesting that a guy like Maiava would transfer to a program where the depth chart already has impressive depth.

GO DAWGS!

• Options

CKS taking care of business, not getting caught with his pants down!

• Options

Cream rises most of the time.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 9

I just don't think you portal in a player unless he's better than the 3 in his position depth chart. (In borderline cases, maybe a player has utility in multiple positions and/or special teams, but generally not QB.) But these are all great players or they wouldn't have a UGA scholly. And now that Maiava's a dawg, I embrace him wholeheartedly and hope the entire position group gets developed to their full potential and are highly productive between the hedges. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior

Love the future for Gunner too, he reminds me of a young Brett Farve. He just needs to hang in there, it will work out for him.

• Options
    WoodrowWoodrow Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am happy we finally got a samoan in here, I was hoping for one on defense but we can start with a QB. Maybe he comes our version of a trick play guy like Taisom HIll and can line up anywhere. Showing different formations to the defense and constantly getting positive yardage.

• Options

Obviously, they can't all play QB at UGA unless a lot of bad stuff happens(injuries to multiple QB's. A transfer or two is bound to happen. That said, CKS wants experience. Imagine having 3 non-starting QB's behind CB. Not a pretty thought. Now in the past with a few cupcake games you could get a backup up to **** gradually before you had a big time game. NOt so with the new schedule. In most cases(certainly not al) but generally you want a backup with some realtime starting game experience if possible. Doesn't gaurantee you a win, but you like your chances a little better than a newbie. We saw what happened to Fla.St. their Heisman type QB went down and they just weren't the same team.

• Options

S.N.U.F.F. is a bad word? I guess I should have used the F-bomb. That was permitted.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 9

You make a good point (portal in better players). Not sure in this portal era that UGA can be limited to just that. When you lose 20 (?) to the TP you need to add depth and experience. My guess is if a player fits the UGA culture and can fill a role (with potential to do more) you have to consider it a positive add.

The beauty of the TP is that a team like UGA can cherry pick exactly what it needs/is missing twice a year. These TP adds show that CKS knows it is dangerous to count on freshmen (or inexperienced) players to fill major roles. Remember how we all expected SOMEONE of Marvin Jones, Damon Wilson, Darris Smith, Gabe Harris, MPemba to be coached up into a pass rusher at OLB. Didn't really happen.

As for Stockton. He has a high ceiling as a CFB QB. It will be interesting to see if/when he ascends to that level. In the meantime UGA needs multiple arms to run duel practices to maximize team reps. Adding a game experienced QB checks off that box on CKS's checklist. Until now there was no competition for QB2.

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 365 ✭✭✭ Junior

So what's up with 4 former Dawgs transferring to Perdue? Is there a lot of playing time available there or is it a coach that they have a relationship with? Seems curious to me and inquiring minds want to know...

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well, this didn't age well, money came calling from USC, "riley made final pitch" and he's going to the Trojans.