Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What addition of quarterback Jayden Maiava means for Georgia football in 2024 and beyond

SystemSystem Posts: 10,484 admin
edited January 9 in Article commenting
imageWhat addition of quarterback Jayden Maiava means for Georgia football in 2024 and beyond

Kirby Smart made it clear the Bulldogs wanted to get to four scholarship quarterback. But few could’ve envisioned that Georgia would grab Jayden Maiava out of the transfer portal as the Bulldogs did on Monday night.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

Correct pronunciation of Maiava?

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior

Seems that way, but your last sentence describes it best imo......."the cream always rises to the top".

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m pretty confident that Gunner will stay and embrace the competition. I sure hope so. I have nothing at all against Maiava as he’s a Dawg now. But May the best man win the #2 slot.

Again nothing against Maiava but I will be pulling for Gunner to win it in a head to head competition. It should be an interesting and hotly contested competition. And in the end if both keep a positive attitude it should make Both better. Go Dawgs !!

P.S. I wouldn’t be shocked ( though somewhat disappointed) if the preferred Walk-on C. Ginn does leave. He might have seen that the Dawgs only had three scholly QBs at the time and figured maybe he could break in. Which begs the question Could he have ?? He lead 4A HS Perry, Ga. to a State Championship win. Oh well the appropriate $$ with my opinions will get you a sammich at BK !! 😀

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Life is about competition. In everything. From the girl you marry who 20 other guys wanted to marry to work and beating out 5 other people for the promotion. Embrace competition.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pretty awesome that Kirby was able to bring in such an accomplished QB as the fourth scholarship guy. It still seems unlikely that he'll catch up to Stockton in our system and at SEC-level play.

I'd like to know more about his game. Great size. I guess he's more of a pocket passer (?) but it also seems like he can run the ball. Had a good bowl game against Kansas (although he threw two interceptions).

I appreciate the details about his game in the special podcast but would have liked more in Connor's article. A Sports Illustrated post said he "possesses a big arm with the ability to effortlessly complete passes from the opposite hash, but he has also showcased the ability to layer the ball into difficult windows with impressive touch."

On personal level, he certainly sounds the right notes: Comes across as smart and willing to learn in this 247 post: https://247sports.com/article/unlv-transfer-qb-jayden-maiava-explains-georgia-commitment-plan-to-learn-from-carson-beck-224946761/

@dawgnation Sorry to refer to other websites, but I was looking a better idea of what he brings to the team.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'll tell you what it means. It means that if Beck gets hurt we have a serviceable qb who can beat most teams with his surrounding cast. That's it.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 9

Iron sharpens Iron, I love competition it shows who you are and what you need to improve. Welcome to the "G" Jayden Maiava you are going to love it here.😎

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep. True that !! This team will have allot of youth, but highly athletic youth, and the competition in house will refine them to a level of quality they probably don’t even realize they have !! I look for the 2024 Dawgs to be right back in the hunt, Again !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Looks like he is actually going to USC. It did not make a lot of sense to me for him to come to UGA to not play.

• Options
    nanadawgnanadawg Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

I was just wondering if by chance, someone on the coaching staff let Gunner know that he was getting a new little brother. Surprises like that can sometimes leave one speechless and Gunnie deserves better. #DGD

• Options
    Louis8478Louis8478 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior

We lost him. The Transfer Portal roller coaster ride, baby. Lol