Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Exactly !! Agree !! Again I’m just a dumb recliner coach. But it would seem to me that C. Ginn the preferred walk-on guy would fit that bill perfectly. Doesn’t Kirby remember Stetson ?

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree. He was never going to be QB1 here. Even if Gunnar got hurt next year and then Beck got hurt he might 'temporarily' be the number 1 but we would quickly get a better transfer portal guy to supplant him.

I am not a fan of getting a portal guy unless he has QB1 potential. The walk on qb we have coming is probably as good as this guy. I'm glad he is not coming. He was never good enough imo.

• Options
    DawgDad1958DawgDad1958 Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

So be it. Good-bye Maiava and Raiola. You both made the right decision.

We need quarterbacks who are ready to truly COMMIT and FOCUS and want to compete and win! We need quarterbacks who want to be part of the legacy Georgia Football is building TODAY and not what some currently unranked schools did decades ago! We need quarterbacks whos names we can pronounce! 😁 GO DAWGS!

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I've seen the NIL reference several times as part of the reason he flipped. I don't know the finer points of NIL but I would doubt as a QB4 type talent there would be much in the way of significant monetary reward for his services.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

At USC he will be competing for qb#1. Not that will pay lots. But his family will be Able to attend more games. Ohh wait!! USC will be traveling east for all those B1G games.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I definitely feel like we dodged a bullet here... even DR was not this rapidly wishy-washy. We have plenty to offer much more stable high-performers

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

In Los Angeles? You might be surprised. I have several connections at USC, and their pockets are deeeepppppp

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wasn't going to say anything before now because I wanted to try to be positive about it but watching his film he seemed very stiff or wooden to me. A big kid but his film didn't scream anything special or even athletic looking to me. So, not upset.

• Options

Sounds like he got confirmation from Riley that he wuld be his definite #2.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 10

Maiava had a very clear path to QB1. In '25. He had a very clear path to QB2 in '24. He just had to learn the O, shine in his reps and out perform Stockton. A player with his experience and skillset could've pulled it off. The fact that USC paid up for this guy tells you all you need to know about his ceiling.

The kid was his conference's "Freshman Player of the Year" . He has QB prototype size and a big arm. He has talent. You people on this site think UGA has cornered the market on talented players. UGA hasn't. For reference, Maiava had more passing yards and the same completion % as SBIV did in '21. As a freshman.

Pretty clearly this player valued starting this season at USC and a pocket full of money over playing for UGA. Seems pretty shortsighted.

The good news is that there will be another transfer window open after spring ball to add a QB. Like Fromm's last year at UGA, CBeck will not be allowed to run this season for fear of injury derailing a championship run. Kinda makes any RPO action a bluff that won't be called.

• Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 10

Deep pockets are not the issue. The University made a very public split with some of its most prolific and wealthy donors a couple years ago and they have made no effort to reconnect. As a result, there is no connection right now between the school, the football program, and the money.

The new athletic director they brought in from Washington supposedly has the skills to get money. The problem is she hasn't developed those relationships yet. And I promise you because she's a woman, the monied donors will be slow to open their wallets.

They are already paying Lincoln Riley more than he's worth. They have invested hundreds of millions in upgrading their athletic facilities. The well is about dry and they want results. The school itself is run by an incompetent whose only focus is making sure every aspect of the school including athletics look clean and smell good.

• Options

From the UNLV website: Redshirted season after joining program ... Listed as a three-star prospect by 247Sports, Rivals and ESPN … The highest-rated high school QB in UNLV history according to 247Sports … Rated the No. 24 pocket passer recruit in the nation by ESPN … Rated the No. 11 overall prospect out of the state of Nevada and the No. 50 quarterback recruit in the nation by 247Sports … Named Second Team All-Southern Nevada by the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Sometimes there are diamonds in the rough so to speak, and maybe this guy wil be one. But GS and RP, and CB all were rated higher than this guy. MUch higher. Good luck to him. See for yourselves, go watch film at HUDL.com of MAiava and Puglisi or Stockton and you tell me. THe guy isn't bad(competition doesn't look great) but you won't( I couldn't) find one play where he takes off on a QB keeper up the middle and makes a play with his legs. THe couple of plays he does score on are just one side of the field being clear and he runs to the boundary for a score from 10 yards out. I also didn't see any throws longer than roughly 40 yards. Not saying he can't do it, he's a big kid, just not much tape .

If not for his 6'5" frame, he's unspectacular. Not a guy that was going to be running around much, if any, in the SEC when BAMA is bringing the pressure. Like most QB's who are very good coming out of HS. If you give him time and a wide open receiver, he can hit them.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No sarcasm at you But: “He just had to learn the O, shine in his reps and out perform Stockton” I think this is a large assumption on your part for Two reasons. 1) Though yes limited Gunner Has had snaps in the SEC real games. The young man from UNLV, uhm Freshman Of The Year for THAT conference has had snaps in That conference.

2) Gunner has been going against UGA’s Defense including sometimes the One’s in practice every day for going into his third year now. The young man from UNLV has been going against well UNLV’s Defense in practices.

And lastly as You pointed out the young man from UNLV would have to “learn” the O, Gunner already knows it or certainly should.

I’m sure you have your reasons and I respect that, but you certainly seem quick to discard Gunner Stockton. I Believe Gunner shows Huge potential. And he has Been at UGA working hard and waiting his time. What kind of message would it send to our Current QBs if Kirby brings a guy in from outside and just promotes them Over our current guys ??

So If and more like When Kirby does get a guy from the TP, that guy whoever he might be needs to demonstrate Very Clearly that he is the Better QB, else we’ll see guys like Gunner hit the TP, then on down the road possibly Puglisi as well. I’m NOT opposed to using the TP, but when it comes to usurping guys Already here, any TP guy better show that he is Clearly the better player else it’s a big time snub to the guy already here.

And IF the guy is Truly better we’d need to be prepared to see another guy Leave by hitting the TP. Then the merry go round starts all over again because your right back to only three Scholly QBs. 🤪 Rabun County HS is very competitive year to year in the HS ranks, folks here say that Gunner is the best QB to ever pass through their doors. No pun intended on pass. I’d be careful were I Kirby not to drive him to the TP. Just sayin…..

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 10

All of those accomplishments happened while playing in the Mountain West Conference, that's what "tells me all I need to know about his ceiling".