Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart keeps Georgia drama short-lived in complex world of recruiting commits

SystemSystem Posts: 10,482 admin
edited January 10 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart keeps Georgia drama short-lived in complex world of recruiting commits

ATHENS — The silent verbal commit, soft commit and hard commit have one thing in common: They ultimately mean nothing.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JoeClarkJoeClark Posts: 429 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I did it when I was negotiating music scholarships for college and when I get a competing offers in corporate America. Don't hate the player, hate the game (Or the NCAA).

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"nothing wrong or illegal"... 100% agree on the "illegal" part, but have a different PoV on the "wrong" part. Shopping around is common in every industry, and sports more than most. However, once you've made a "commitment" it's that, end of story.

Yes, the times they are a changin', but I think this particular behavior can and will change in CFB. It has-to once this mania has become a bit old.

I'd guess it may move to something like academic acceptances are now today: there's an "early decision" which is binding for both parties and an "early action" which is not binding, but shows greater interest by both parties and allows them to be more vested in actions running up to coming on campus. It's all about return on in esrment by team and (prospective) players.

So, I can hear some skeptics saying "well, how would you enforce that?" Probably pretty simple: hard money vs soft money. You make it a binding decision, you get guaranteed money; non-binding, you get targeted payouts, and probably lower.

Do I know it'll go this way? Of course not, but every industry has to go through these kind of shakeouts before it ends up a bit more stable so managers (coaches in this case) can manage and customers (fans in CFB) can be more comfortable focusing on the product (games) then all the drama beyond that.

Fingers crossed that something to stabilize the situation happens sooner rather than later, but I expect CKS and company will figure it out regardless of where things go next 😁

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 382 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Look, if you’re not really “committed” don’t say you are! It’s that simple. Sau what you mean and mean what you say. Good riddance.

• Options
    JoeClarkJoeClark Posts: 429 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agreed - Just leak the news to a reporter that a decision is forthcoming and the same effect is had without the player ever taking the public backlash

• Options
    GrogersGrogers Posts: 16 ✭✭ Sophomore

I like what I see with Gunner Stockton. I thought it was crazy for this kid to commit to UGA for starters. If he was that good as freshman of the year, he would trading playing time to running the scout team for UGA.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@reddawg1 “Now I will say this, if all things being equal between Stockton and MAiava in the talent department(not saying there is) then you'd likely go with the guy with more experience, first.”

No sarcasm but to Me that would mean Gunner as he Does have more experience in SEC play. Not the Mountain West, more snaps There to Me doesn’t necessarily trump less snaps in the SEC. And Gunner has been going against UGA’s Defense even sometimes the One’s in practices all this time. That should mean something as well.

I think it’d be asking Tons from the guy from UNLV to Learn the O as efficiently as Gunner by 2024. Not even discussing which is actually Better. Just sayin…..P.S. $$$ from USC folks trumped his “confidence” coming to UGA pretty fast !! 😀

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No, I do not hate the kid, he took the $$ and playing time. I do still have a problem with that vacuous word: "commit." Means absolutely nothing to some, and everything to others. NIL is getting out of hand. My wife says college football is going to become a farm program for the NFL.....much like baseball. When you commit to a program you should have to sign that day to stay...barring extenuating circumstances. Glad Maiava left quickly, actually. He is not cut out for UGA's competitive style program. He wants to start. Not at UGA. Kirby has a dilemma now...about that 4th scholarship QB. My money is on Gunner Stockton. He and Puglisi should work out fine. I'll leave the worries to Kirby after that.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"all things being equal between" (they usually aren't) you take the experience and the size advantage. Size advantage gives you a better chance to take hits/avoid injury and an advantage for a QB to see over the OL/DL and downfield. CBecks' 1st year completion % 72.4, SBIV career completion % 65.1.

You people have short memories. CBeck used an offer from Florida to leverage an offer from UGA.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby needs 4 qualified QB's to run 4 teams during practice and drills. That's been his goal. It's not about....the '24 or '25 starting QB....yet.

Having 4 teams to generate scrimmage "reps" for the younger guys....is one of the selling points Kirby uses when recruiting players to UGA. "You'll get plenty of quality reps, while waiting your turn and learning. Which will make you a better player.". He's said as much, only a few months ago.

Kirby and Bobo just need another QB to run the 4th team. I didn't think Maeiva would be happy with that....so, it's probably a good thing he's moving on. Team chemistry is more important. Maybe they can find their 4th QB from within. A preferred walk-on, maybe....like Stetson Bennett.

• Options

You people ?? NOT your fellow Dawgs fans ?? Oops I’m sorry we’re all merely “Cheerleaders” that are supposed to stand in awe of your football knowledge and objectivity. Well I hate to break this to you but you could take All of your massive knowledge and objectivity in One Big Lump and you know how much it’s gonna influence Kirby Smart’s decisions ?? Bingo !! That’s right !! None !!

So Me and the rest of the plain ole Cheerleaders come here to speculate, discuss, debate (civilly I hope) and most of all Have Fun. And another thing Our Opinions are just as valuable as your supposed “objectivity” where you attempt ( and grossly fail) to compare this kid Maiava’s stats to Stet’s Junior College year !!

Then you Objectively ASSume WHY Kirby was trying to bring him in when Even the DN writers don’t know Exactly Why Kirby wanted him Beyond the fact that Kirby has Stated he wants Four scholarship QBs. For all We as fans know and DN writers to is Kirby might well be content if the guy ended up in the #3 slot. That’s just as possible. OK so just as a part of “ You People” and merely a Cheerleader that’s all I’ve got to say on it. Thanks for allowing me to present before your tower of knowledge.

• Options

This is how it Ought to be. Unfortunately it’s not. But Hopefully, not holding my breath though, the NCAA will establish rules and regulations that will at least help to solidify the word Commitment. I’m with you though, that’s how it Should be. If the NCAA doesn’t step in Soon and in a very profound way the road is gonna get stickier and stickier as CFB goes along.

Can’t blame the young men ( players) all that money being waved at Em. Then considering family and friends probably on their backs going Take it !! Take it !! So it’s allot of pressure on these very young men. And to know the Right way becomes very blurred for them I’m sure.

• Options
  • Options

This is what has Me and I think allot of our fellow Dawgs fans scratching our heads. Colton Ginn the preferred walk-on lead his 4A Perry HS to the State Championship and won. He had offers from numerous Div2 schools where he’d have probably been their starter. If he waited a bit he’d have probably gotten offers from some lower tier D1 schools as either the starter or possibly #2 guy. Yet he chose to forego all those.

He said something to this effect: “ I wanted to go and Play at the school I’ve been a Fan of all my life”. Wow !! Talk about loyalty to the program !! Wouldn’t he fit the bill of #4 guy for practice purposes ?? And I’m Very Sure Kirby knows Far more than I do.

But for the sake of discussion let’s say Kirby fetches a guy out of the TP that Shows Clearly and Consistently that he IS better than Gunner. Well it’s not an absolute but pretty close I’d think that Gunner would probably hit the TP. If that happened your right back in the same position again with only Three scholarship QBs !! Bobo raved about Gunner, so either Bobo is deliberately misleading Dawgs fans which I doubt, Or Gunner is a pretty solid QB.

The people here in Rabun County say that bar none he is The best QB to pass through their school !! I posted his HS stats on the other thread. Pretty dawg gone impressive. He was redshirted but he’s now entering his third year at UGA. So to risk running him to the TP I would sure hope that Any QB Kirby nets from the TP would be Very high quality !! Thoughts ??

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 10

Yes you people that have piled on a kid that made a decision he thought was best for him. Just like CBeck did when he leveraged an offer and hinted commitment to Florida to get his desired offer from UGA. SAME EXACT THING.

Don't have a hissy fit fabricated in your own mind. YOU said "we're all merely cheerleaders" . I said there were "already too many cheerleaders here". Big difference. I can't help your reading comprehension. I am here to make you think. Otherwise it is a steady diet of "Go Dawgs", "We're the best!", "No one can compete with us". Pretty sad and monotonous.

LOL not trying to "influence CKS's decision". Did you miss your med's today? It's not about '24? It is '24. Remember CKS bringing in JTD when UGA already had Jamie Newman (and others)? CKS IS hedging his bet of having an experienced QB starting and having and experienced QB in reserve. Football 101. Sorry if that is over your head. Otherwise CKS wouldn't be trying to bring in another QB. CKS brought in Ginn late in case he doesn't find what he wants in the TP. He covered that base as well just in case. He will bring in another experienced QB. Mark it down.

Learn from @BigDawg61 and @BigDawg888 (same guy?) and stay in your lane. You don't want any of this.

• Options

Gunner's a solid QB. No question. Puglisi, probably is, as well.

There's no real issue in the QB room, IMO. I just think, Smart wants to go into Spring Practice with 4 qualified QB's. To run the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th teams and give Bobo some flexibility with respect to quarterback health.

He may not be able to carry a 4th team on offense, this year....without a QB to run it. But, I wouldn't count em out. This is about the time, Kirby reached out to Bennett, in 2019. Only...Bennett was actually brought in to be backup to Fromm, after Fields left.

I look for Kirby to find a JuCo transfer or walk-on. He'll get his 4th QB, IMO.

• Options

Feeble attempt at redemption. You expose yourself with the accusation that 888 and myself are one and the same. Seein' as how...that's what I accused you of, some time back. I know you have shadow accounts...and, you are not a Dawg Fan. But, I could care less. Just a light snack, for me. Lol

I didn't notice anybody attacking this kid, on a personal level. As you've stated many times....it's a business. And, in any business...a prospective "employee's" behavior during the interview and hiring process....is fair game.

Don't be so defensive.