Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Alabama head coach Nick Saban reportedly retiring

SystemSystem Posts: 10,451 admin
edited January 10 in Article commenting
imageAlabama head coach Nick Saban reportedly retiring

Alabama head coach Nick Saban is reportedly retiring, according to a report from Chris Low of ESPN.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Schumann should be a candidate. Given the success Lanning has had, along with his background being the university of Alabama.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 10

Wow! HUGE news. I'll believe it when I see it. Thought this day would never come. Lately was thinking CNS would hold on as long as he could to try and add NC's while his program was at/near the top. Keep ahead of CKS. Now it looks like he might want out while he has the head to head edge on CKS. Theoretically, UGA and AL could play 3 times next season alone.

Does AL go with a HC that has no prior HC experience? (Schumann) Kiffin, Lanning, Sark, ? all turn AL down?

Might better explain the SECCG refereeing and the selection committee selections.

Maybe there is another reason for the Maiava flip? AL commit 5* Julian Sayin flirted a long time w/UGA during "recruiting season". W/Saban gone does he reconsider his choice especially w/Raiola no longer in the UGA picture?

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I kinda hate to see this in a way. I wanted our Dawgs to beat him in Tuskyloser then again in the 2024 SECCG. Then if he wanted to retire. Kind of like the unfinished business with Urban Cryer !! Oh well gonna be some real interesting times ahead. No doubts on that. P.S. With the 12 team playoff what would’ve been Super nice is beat him as I described @ Tuskyloser then again in the SECCG, then maybe the corrupt Committee slide him into the 12 team Playoffs and beat him again !! A 3peat !! 😂

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 10

He’s gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ding dong the warlock is gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great coach. He won 4 championships with Kirby and only 2 without him while Kirby won 2 himself.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 10

I would agree that Glenn Schumann has the connections, the skills but he's short on experience....my pick would be Trent Dilfer. Easy transition, not much buy out, NFL experience and connections, recruit connections and you'll get a coach that has distinguished himself as a worthy replacement. If you can motivate/coach a UAB team to hang 21 points on a healthy Georgia....ie, they never quit playing against overwhelming talent, it is a scary proposition to see what he'd do with Bama talent. Dilfer was a successful QB....just what Bama needs.

I predict that Glenn will be swayed away after The Dawgs next Natty.

• Options

I’m thinking they might go with Dan Lanning because of the over all success he’s had at Oregon. If you look at All of Lanning’s short time at Oregon it’s pretty impressive. But heck I don’t know.

My hope would be, I think, is someone else we play against on our schedule. My reasoning is Maybe with Bama losing Saban that’ll make That game easier, then if it were a HC from another team on our schedule Perhaps it’d make That game easier as well as they’d be transitioning as well.

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

They'll go get a Tide player. Dabo Sweeney is a lock.

• Options
    Georgia67Georgia67 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Phone calls

NFL

Belichik, Carrol quick ask if any interest in a 3-5 year gig.

College - offers in this order

Kiffin, Lanning, Dabo, Sarkisian, Drink, Norvell, Day, Schumann, Rees

I think Kiffin takes it because the opportunity will never come again if he doesn't.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Every time I log in to DawgNation.....Surprise!! Would like to have another try at beating him in September. No idea who his successor could be. Many names floating out there. This is a big deal. This is epic. My brother just chimed in on it and he is a Penn Stater. News is breaking on major networks as well.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Schumann would be a risk too big imo for Bama boosters. He may get an interview for the next time (if the next coach doesn't win a NC in the next 3 years he will be gone). I think Lanning also has it too good and no one wants to follow the GOAT unless they are one of the greatest in their own right and they are doing it for fun and some bucks for 3-5 years (see Belichik and Carrol). Carrol sure looks like he wants to keep coaching.

Will be Kiffin in my opinion. This opportunity will never come again for him so I think he takes it.

• Options

Could be. But he hasn’t looked to good at Clem’son in quite a few years now. I don’t know. It’s surely possible. What about ole Lame Kiffin ?? Think he’s a possible ?? If I were Bama I’d give Lanning a hard look. Over all he’s done really well at Oregon with no where close to Bama’s brand and resources. What am I saying ?? 🤪 I hope they choose the worse coach in all CFB !!

You know Saban was bound to retire sooner or later. But what if they choose wrong ?? Could ruin them for years !! I bet allot of Bama fans are nerrrrvous about this !! As for Me I’m thinking even with a great hire you’d think it’d set them back for This year At Least a tad. That might give us an edge when we go to Tuskyloser !! Hope so.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 10

I would almost guarantee this is due to all the changes that have happened to college football - NIL and transfer portal. For someone like Nick Saban, this kind of chaotic change and pressure that comes in December with everything you have to juggle as a head coach has taken all the JOY out of the coaching experience.

I can't blame him one bit. His job has gotten tougher, and now winning a National Championship has gotten harder.

He is the GOAT of college football. I wish him ALL THE BEST. He is a true champion and competitor and will never be replaced.

• Options
  • Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Check on the Bama fans and make sure they aren't taking headers off their doublewides:-)

• Options
    87Dawg_1187Dawg_11 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

Right there with you. I hated his Alabama teams, but I respected what he brought every game and the consistency with which he brought it. Saban was one of the few great college football coaches that adjusted over time and always seemed to be a step ahead. He complained about the changes, but he figured out how to use them to his advantage and keep winning, often to my chagrin. I have much respect for how he coached Alabama.

• Options
    Louis8478Louis8478 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior

Alabama fans are panicking. The Tide is shifting, lol.

• Options

Your so right. It IS a big deal. Fox News has brought it up four times in about thirty minutes !! Most All the sports networks are all over it. Bama fans sure better hope they choose the right successor as the Wrong one could have repercussions for years and years to come !! I went on the enemies web site the other night when they lost the Playoff game. SOME of them were saying then that Maybe it’s time for Nick to go. But the majority was saying Noooo !!!

The ole saying Be Careful What You Wish For comes into play here !! Hope you have a Great & Safe 2024 !! I always enjoy your comments !! And as you were a photographer for the Dawgs you’ve seen allot of Good, Bad, and In Between in your time. You have my sincere respect !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options

Now this begs the question will any top shelf Bama players hit the TP in April ?? Course it works both ways some players that might’ve felt Saban was about to retire might find Whoever replaces him very appealing and Go to Bama. Interesting times indeed.