Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Alabama head coach Nick Saban reportedly retiring

13»

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bama fans confident none of their key players will hit the TP. Also one of them wrongly thinks they have to wait until After the Spring game. Not according to what I read Thx to @Brooksie clueing me in in the first place. From what I saw they have an Immediate 30 day window from Saban announcing his retirement which he officially did today.

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

While it’s certainly huge news, I can’t say I’m too surprised. The officiating in the SECCG, the predetermined outcome to keep a one-loss Georgia team that would have been favored in a rematch with Alabama out of the CFP, the seeding giving Alabama a potential shot at a rematch with Texas in the title game (where Alabama almost certainly would have beaten them)… yeah, I had a hunch he was planning to hang it up. Kinda sad to see him go as I, along with so many other Georgia fans, wanted another crack at beating him, but at least we have the one natty win over him. To me there’s no question he’s the GOAT, and I hope his well-deserved retirement further opens the door for Kirby and Georgia to make a run that makes Saban’s status as GOAT up for debate, if not outright dethroned. 

• Options

Wonder if any of Bama’s WRs would want to come play with Heisman candidate Carson Beck ? If they’ve got some good Defensive Linemen looking for a new home get on the same bus with the WRs and ease on over to Athens !! I bet the phone lines are burning up all over CFB world tonight !!

• Options
    GawgiaboyGawgiaboy Posts: 16 ✭✭ Sophomore

Congratulations to Nick Saban who is the GOAT! Now we will take Justice Haynes and Caleb Downs via the transfer portal that opens tomorrow for Bama players. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

But mostly spurrier….. I feel today the same as I did when spurrier retired….we will never have the chance to even the score against Coach Saban! Like we couldn’t against spurrier….

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 10

Yep, anyone but Burton! 🤣😎

And, yes, I know that he probably has no eligibility left 😎

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby may have a 1-5 record against Saban, but UGA has finished the last 3 seasons ranked higher than the Tide which is impressive. It will be interesting to see who assumes his position at Bama. Next season we face 3 of the potential candidates (Kiffin, Swinney and Sarkisian) according to an ESPN writer. If one of these is selected we will face teams in coaching transitions in 2 of our toughest games……and they are road games to boot. This will be very interesting to watch. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options

Lol NO !!! Don’t want Burton to even drive by Athens !! One of their top WRs recruits has already de committed !! Kirby needs to swoop in and get him !!

• Options

I don’t want to go anymore loony than I already am !! 🤪😂 But this news has long, long, range repercussions. 1) Kirby could swoop in and get current players through the TP 2) Their top 5 star WR Recruit for 24 has already de-commited

3) I would think even if a great coach replaces him it’ll take Whoever that is some Time to get transitioned and dialed in, meaning that Should play to the Dawgs favor at least one would think in their game vs Bama on Sept. 4) IF their new HC comes from an SEC school on our 24 Schedule one would think That game to should be easier

5) IF their new HC turns out to be a bust it could play favorable in terms of long range recruiting time wise. To close I’d have rather Kirby and our Dawgs beat Saban enough to usurp the Kingdom from him. But with him retired now it’s entirely possible, Very possible, that Kirby and the Dawgs will rise to be the New King of CFB. Only time will tell.

But and IF that happens a Sad casualty will have been David Pollack losing his job just because he Said that a bit to early. ESPN claims it was due to budget cuts but I don’t buy that for a second, as they turned right around and gave Pat McAfee a $10 mil contract AND his own show. No it was because David embarrassed and insulted Saban sitting right beside him as UGA destroyed TCU in 2022 Natty.

Maybe allot of Saban’s influence will leave with him. Hope so. Only time will tell if Kirby can gain that strong of influence. But Kirby doesn’t seem to want to play in the politics part of CFB so he might never get that type of influence. Course as long as he’s winning at the highest levels I doubt many Dawgs fans care about how good he is at politics.

Today could mark a Huge momentum shift To UGA in becoming THE Top Program on an On Going basis. With the Wins on the field and in Recruiting that Kirby & Staff have had UGA already has a Huge step in that direction !!

• Options

Yep. I agree. Hate to say it but really ole Urban Cryer got away without our Dawgs getting solid revenge on him to. I’d have Much rather beat Saban head on enough times for Kirby to beat his Win-Loss record vs UGA. But that’s gone now. Alas there’s only one thing to do. Take it all out on his replacement !! 😂 Here’s hoping our Dawgs destroy Bama from here on out !!! Go Dawgs !!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

JUst when you have the hare in your sights, he leaps into the kudzu. NEver to be seen again.