Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Dan Lanning won’t be next Alabama coach, doubles down on staying at Oregon

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited January 11 in Article commenting
imageDan Lanning won’t be next Alabama coach, doubles down on staying at Oregon

ATHENS — Oregon coach Dan Lanning doubled down on his pledge to stay with the Ducks and will not be the next head coach at Alabama.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    hootche10hootche10 Posts: 47 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I just don't see Bama getting a top tier coach. Maybe the guy at TCU or something like that. Their day is done.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They will get a top guy. Think it is Lane Kiffin now. However, maybe offering first and publicly to Lanning will piss Kiffin off and he will say no. One can only hope. I would like to see this go down to their 4th or 5th choice and embarrass the gumps. They need to realize living in Alabama is just not that great.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Lane may get an offer, but I don't think he can recruit or keep the Championship runs going. He's just not near as good of a head coach. He's doing great things at Ole Miss, but it's all by using the portal.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep. When I saw that headline, I said to myself: "Phew. Dodged a bullet."

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Be tough for anyone coming in behind Nick. Expectations high. Heck, Bama has more ridiculous "Natty or Nothing" fans than we have at UGA!

• Options

I don't disagree with any of that, Montana. On the other hand , the way things are going, one could argue the portral recruiting could become as important as high school recruiting in the near future.

That said, Kiffin's loose lips may not a be a good fit for Bama. Plus, totally agree that he's not nearly the coach that Saban or Smart is.

• Options

Lotta talk about Kiffin, because he's a showboat. But the most capable Saban alums outside of Smart is Sarkisian.

Not sure if he'd leave Texas, however. It's a big resource-rich school with a huge recruiting base, and he finally has gotten things to where he likes it there. Why leave that following the GOAT at a school with an unforgiving fanbase?

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior

He would be crazy to leave Oregon for Bama. He’s got a good situation where he is, it certainly is not as demanding as it is at Bama.

Will be hard for anyone to follow Saban. It was hard to follow Bryant also, look at how many they went through after “Bear” before Saban. It seems like Stallings was the only one they didn’t run off.

If you don’t hit the ground running there, they will be throwing bricks thru your window (Curry) and running your azz off.

Wise decision by Lanning…

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Glad to hear he’s staying at Oregon. IMO, he’s the best possible replacement for Saban. Very good coach, excellent recruiter, and a straight shooter. Glad Bama won’t be getting him.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Maybe Bama can get the other Dan - Dan Mullen. I hated it when Florida fired him, but would be very happy if Bama hired him. Not going to happen of course, but one can always hope.

• Options

Kiffin, Dabo, DeBoer will get offered in that order but it will be private from here on out because the Gumps don't want to be embarrassed with their pants down.

Also, maybe they take a flier on a pro coach.

• Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

Lane will probably get the job and have early success and then turn it into a dumpster fire. He's had 13 jobs since 1997. Longest ever is now here at Mississippi since 2020.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Was speaking to some Seattle folks, and they wondered if Pete Carroll might be interested given his history. I also wonder about Norvell (I'm sure that'll give a lot of fodder for "what are you thinking!?" 😲). While he got a UGA beat down, I do think it would have been better with a full squad... add 'Bama clout, and maybe there's much improvement? On Kiffin, I think it's possible, but unwise. I think he's reached a ceiling and it's largely because of his style... in public (I think he's hilarious, BTW... no HC at 'Bama has been), but also the locker room (if reports are accurate... not a safe assumption, I know).

Barring any of that, it's probably Dabo or DeBoer... maybe an Urban Meyer as a wild card. Regardless, I do NOT envy who gets it 🤣

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

James Franklin’s agent must be throwing his name around. There is no way on earth Bama is considering him. To say Penn State consistently underachieves would be an understatement.

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It was very hard to find a head coach that the Bama fans would even accept after the "Bear" retired and it will be just as hard this time. Love him or hate him but Saban was the best since Bryant and following him will be just as difficult.

There will always be coaches who think they can follow a legend and continue his legacy but history shows that is rarely the case.And when it comes to a coach of the caliber of a Bryant, Saban, or Dooley (think Goff) it is **** near impossible.

There will in all likelihood be a downturn in Bama's performance in the next few years but they will eventually get another great coach. It has happened repeatedly in the past and with the heritage there it will inevitably happen again.

• Options

I had a theory that if you give me 2 coaches from different generations and equal talent I can tell you who will win 90 percent of the time.

Boomer>X>Millenial

Just a generational thing which is why Pete Carroll would be a great hire for 3-4 years as would Bill Belichik.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh good. He's the one I would have least wanted to see go there.