Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart ‘a little shocked’ about Nick Saban’s retirement: ‘He meant a lot to my career’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,480 admin
edited January 11 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart ‘a little shocked’ about Nick Saban’s retirement: ‘He meant a lot to my career’

Kirby Smart was like the rest of us when he learned that Alabama head coach Nick Saban would be retiring.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 11

"I'm too old for this ****".....The Tide had just escaped the Iron Bowl with a miracle win and in Coach Saban's mind he was facing the best football team in America for the SECC.....The Tide won by three points.....in Coach Saban's mind, he and The Tide won the National Championship.....after 17 years of success, what better time to step away and leave a memory and tradition that will last for as long as there is a Crimson Tide.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby can still beat Bama...but not Saban. That has to be a parcel of Saban's legacy and Kirby's as well. The SEC will now move on sans Saban.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“Kirby Smart ‘a little shocked’ about Nick Saban’s retirement: ‘He meant a lot to my career’”

I’m a little shocked the Kirby Smart is a little shocked. I think everyone knew that it was a very real possibility to happen this year. It makes sense when you think about it. He’s at that age, he’s not crazy about the direction college football has gone, he and his wife love being grandparents. Good for him, he deserves to enjoy it!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m 50-50, I kinda thought he might, but when he Did, yeah it surprised me Some. I should’ve known as he’s smiled more pre and post games than he normally does. And when you look back at him pacing the side lines in this years games he looked a little less fiery.

I’m not gonna lie I’m not a big fan of Saban the person, but I Do admire what he’s accomplished as a Coach. Pretty remarkable.

Now I hope Kirby can Continue to take UGA to greater heights. And I’ll say this barring some Huge and I mean HUGE issue where UGA starts disrespecting our country or something along those lines, I’ll Always Love the Dawgs.

But if the NCAA doesn’t step in Soon and do some Positive things about NIL and the TP and some other things, I’m rapidly getting weary of CFB. It’s rapidly losing its flavor for me after all these many years. I think that’s Allot of why Saban left.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Glad he is gone. Happy for him also. Hope he can learn to enjoy retirement and get his feet wet.

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Saban was the best coach since Paul "Bear" Bryant and Kirby Smart is the heir apparent for that title now. He will certainly eclipse Saban's won/loss record and hopefully his National Championship record. But no one will ever again be what the Bear was to college football.

Those days are long gone as is the pageantry and tradition that was college football. It's now all about the money and I like you am beginning to grow weary of it all.

• Options

It is a long lost era. College football has been blown up and really is becoming the Champions League of football. Tier 2. No one remembers or cares who the best is in the second best division of football do they? Semi pro league. Let's enjoy the last few years of it meaning something because our grandkids will not.

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Saban retiring has a lot to do with the current state of college football. You win the SEC and right away you have to recruit your elite players all over again to play in the CFP games. You may even have to raise some funds to get them to hold off hitting the portal or hold out for the NFL. The NCAA is totally out of control, rudderless. The new guy is no better than the last president. College football is a shite show.

• Options

And @BigDawg888 To Both you guys (DGDs in my book) and our fellow Dawgs fans who To Me are DGDs. Back in the “ole days” the words Commitment and Loyalty and add in Dedication meant So Much more than these days. Those are the things I miss about CFB the most. When players Truly put Team first.

In the case of UGA when young men grew up dreaming of being a Dawg and a Dawg Only. He might never climb the position pole but I Loved what the Preferred Walk-On Colton Ginn said: “I want to Play for the team that I grew up being a Fan of all my life”. Or words very similar to that. Love It !! That’s a taste of the old days.

Brock Bowers and Ladd McConkey and some others remind me of the old days. Not snubbing other guys because there Are some that also do, but those two standout with the attitude that I like and reminds me of the old days.

I think Saban was feeling these things Far more than me and other CFB fans being HC of a legacy team like Bama. Anyway let’s proceed Boldly into 2024. Go Dawgs !!

• Options

Navy you might not realize but I also served in the Navy. Anyways, what has happened in college football has happened everywhere. Your word means very little anymore except to an old few. I try to teach my sons your word is everything and they truly do not understand because no one teaches that anymore.

I encourage all of us on this site to start re-teaching the old ways. You say what you mean and you mean what you say. Speak truth and be true to what you say.

• Options
    edited January 12

No I didn’t realize that. But I Should have !! I’ve Always respected your comments on here. And your attitude. To Me your a DGD as a fan. There are quite a few on here that I feel the same way.

You sound like you were raised Allot like me or me like You. You and I were raised up that a man’s word is his bond. His handshake is his seal of guarantee. When you Say your gonna do something ( positive) DO IT. Avoid trouble the best you can, but When trouble comes to you, Deal with it like a Man.

Going in the Navy only served to enhance even more the things my Daddy May he Rest In Peace, raised me up believing. I didn’t retire from the Navy I had eight years. I’m the middle brother of Three brothers, All Navy.

True sea story my younger brother was on the same ship with me my first enlistment !! He’s the youngest and the only one to retire out of the three of us. From time to time we’d run across our older brother in Norfolk !!

BigDawg61 is also Navy. I’m not sure but he might have retired. And I think he told me he was a Bubblehead ( Submarine Sailor for those of you who don’t know the slang). I was a FreshAir Snipe on a Target Lol !!

I was an EN1 when I got out. Sometimes I wish Id have stayed and tried to make Chief or higher but it just wasn’t in my destiny. Thank You so much for your Dedicated and Honorable Service to our country and to ALL our Veterans, Active Duty, Air & Ntl. Guards & Reserve Forces Thank You ALL as well. I fear we Might be going into another war and real soon. If I were young enough and physically & mentally able Id go in a heartbeat if my country needed me.

P.S. It’s a long and Weird but True story, but I was actually in USAF ( less than six months) Before I was in the Navy !!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm sure there is strong mutual respect between these two. Of all the games Kirby has lost to Saban, the 2018 National Championship Game hurts and haunts me the most. That was OUR game. We were CLEARLY the better team all night long, even into the OT. And then one guy just doesn't do his job and it's over in a flash. My heart ached for Nick Chubb and Sony Michel and many others that night. And because of that, Jake Fromm doesn't get the credit and respect that he deserves as a TRUE FRESHMAN who was thrown into the fire in his second game ever and led his team to the brink of a championship. I know the official record books don't and won't ever show it but in my mind, Kirby Smart has three (3) National Titles under his belt. And Nick Saban has one fewer under his. Go Dawgs!