Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Steve Spurrier: Nick Saban’s replacement at Alabama will last ‘2 to 3 years’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited January 11 in Article commenting
imageSteve Spurrier: Nick Saban’s replacement at Alabama will last ‘2 to 3 years’

ATHENS — Steve Spurrier has a pretty good idea why Alabama is having a tough time replacing Nick Saban.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FalconUGAFanFalconUGAFan Posts: 141 ✭✭✭ Junior

He's not wrong.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bwahaha !!! Thx !!! You made me laugh hard, glad I wasn’t drinking anything I’d have spewed it !! 😂

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    edited January 12

Very same thing quickly went through my head 99! 🤣 Go Dawgs!

• Options
  • Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

Steve was a good coach but he'll go down as a quitter. He quit on his team in mid-season at South Carolina. Yep and him a Simone Biles will go down in history as people who quit when the going got tough. Definitely wouldn't want to be in a foxhole in an actual war with him. You never know if he'd quit on you or have your back.

• Options

As much as I detest Spurrier, the Ole Ball Bag is right on this. I think it Will be hard to find a Top Notch Coach. Has Nothing to do with all the Good that Bama has to offer, has Everything to do with the price of Failure. If a coach goes there and Fails it could set his career back substantially.

Dawgs fans will grumble and be pretty critical at times, but we’re Much more forgiving than the Gumps. Their not gonna ask for near Instant Success, their gonna Demand it !! I Know, I Know in Some contexts that can be a Good thing. But it puts Tons of pressure on a Coach right out of the gate.

And changing Coaches like changing socks can’t be a good thing. Though I’m glad look no further than UF. They Might repeat Might be on the right track now but look also at TN.

That’s why we Dawgs fans should be Even More grateful for Kirby. Even though Kirby had all the markings of being a good HC, what if he’d have been a bust ?? Dawgs could’ve turned out like those two schools ( just mentioned those two there are others) I referenced.

With NIL and the TP it’s gonna make it even harder. And now a 12 team playoff !! Whoever takes on Bama has Surely got their work cut out for them !! I have no Real clue who that will be. Might end up being a Little Dab Of Swinney Lol !! Though he hasn’t been doing to hot at. Clem’son of late, with the players and resources Bama has he Might fare better. And almost certainly mean significantly more $$$ for him. And at this stage IF they offer him he might figure Well I ain’t doing to hot here and now so going to Bama I ain’t got nothing to lose.

Im not in his brain so I don’t know but he might be thinking that way. Don’t know if Bama would want him. IF it Did turn out that way one would think it’d make our games with Clem’son and Bama a little easier. We’ll see. Go Dawgs !! P.S. Thank You Kirby, We love you !!!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How 'bout......

Jimbo Fisher [HC]....Les Miles & Ed "O"rgeron [Coordinators].....Pruitt & Mullen can handle recruiting and Special Teams.

Sound like a winning "Tide" formula? Lol

• Options
    saldivensaldiven Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree with Spurrier on this, but I don't think it will be because the next coach will do a bad job. I think it's going to be because of unrealistic expectations from the fans and boosters.

I think many of them will expect that the next coach will slide right in and continue to perform as well as the greatest college football head coach in history; many of these people think it's the Alabama brand that is the reason for the success, not the head coach. When the next coach only manages to average 10-2 in the regular season over the next three years without even going to the CFP championship game and one or no SEC championships, these nutcase, rabid fans/boosters will start agitating about the coach not being "good enough," and how Alabama "expects championships."

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's pretty simple, win a NC within three years, or you're out...

• Options
    Georgia67Georgia67 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭ Junior

My gut feeling is Alabama does not sign a big name HC at this time. I think all of the HC's on the short list that has been circulating are too smart to succeed Saban. Recall the drop-off after Bryant? Things didn't get turned around until Stallings. I think there will be a sacrificial lamb or two.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bama has more "natty or nothing" crazies than we have at UGA. Be a tough gig for next guy up at Bama.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby seemed to do alright, taking over a winning program. Unless he means taking over a program that's used to winning NC's.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 12

Two of the most proficient, and my least-liked, college coaches of all time. And fast NFL failures, to boot. What they had in common that was unpleasant to me was they regularly kicked Georgia's butt. What was distinctively unlikeable about Spurrier is he was the biggest whiner of all time... went through 4 visors and 3 headsets each game. Even his own players didn't like playing for him. What was distinctively unlikeable about Saban was his snarky disposition with media and fans... how dare anyone ask him a question or be curious about anything on his watch. That plus he flat lied to the Miami community when he said he wasn't leaving the Dolphins (for Bama), while a moving truck was literally backed up to his house. Of course we were glad he was leaving, but I'm just not a fan of liars. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm with you on both, particularly Spurrier. The "quitting" point below plus the fact that he is incredibly bombastic in the media. His post-CFB actions are the definitive "it's easier to be a critic than an actor"... plus he always states things as certainties because HE says them. Super annoying... have heard those working/playing for him feel similarly and that only success countered his behaviors.

On Saban, had less of a concern with him until he started losing the last few years and, more than once or twice, blamed his players (in public!) without taking much personal responsibility. I was actually surprised that after the UM semi-final loss he was waayyyy more open about accepting blame (see the "bad call" admission, in particular)... I should have realized that was because he knew it was his last game, most likely.

These ARE two legendary coaches, but when you see similar or better success without much of the downside behaviors (except a little media snarkiness... who wouldn't sometimes?), it REALLY makes you appreciate what Dawg Nation has with CKS 😁

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

…”Things at Alabama are starting to appear just as shaky as the coaching search lingers on.

it’s only been two days

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

Saw in an interview with Chris Fowler yesterday, Saban said Bama's giving him an office in the stadium. Sure he'll have a significant say in who they hire and will provide "Top Cover" for at least a few years to whoever they do hire, to keep off the vultures until the new coach has had ample time to get up to speed.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 12

Fan base (extremely unrealistic) expectation is the prime reason all of the popular D-1 candidates would be doomed to failure....10/2 0r heaven help us 9/3 just ain't goin to cut it in Tusk are loosa with "you must win" against Auburn and you had better win against Georgia, Tenn, LSU, Texas, Ole Miss or at least go 4 & 1......Greg Byrnes knows this conundrum full well ...... lower expectations (at least get a couple of years to get it done) by getting a lesser known coach that is a winning proven motivator like Trent Dilfer, or how bout Jeff Traylor of USTA....he'd own Texas recruiting, how bout Matt Rhule and guess who would be his QB!!! how bout Brent Key.... with Buster as his OC...the other team to hang 21 on The Dawgs, maybe Jamey Chadwell of Liberty or Jeff Brohm of Louisville.... I could even see Barry Odum make a return to The SEC!

• Options

Yep. Agree. And what they Both had in common, was they both knew how to work the SEC front office and Refs on the field during games. Spurrier was notorious about calling and writing letters to the SEC Commish at Any and All things he perceived as not being in His favor. I believe Saban was the same. Saban was our Publicly lobbying for Bama to be in the Final Four Before they even played the Dawgs in the SECCG !!