Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia lands commitment from Alabama safety Jake Pope

SystemSystem Posts: 10,449 admin
edited January 12 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia lands commitment from Alabama safety Jake Pope

Georgia added a sixth commitment via the transfer portal, as former Alabama safety Jake Pope announced he would be transferring to Georgia.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 375 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I like his size. How much did he play at Bama?

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Redshirt in 22. In 23 played mostly special teams and mop up. Similar to a young Dan Jackson.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looks like a more than willing convert....hadn't had a Jake in a while.....Welcome and best wishes on your way to becoming a DGD!

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Welcome aboard Jake! Now, let's see what you got and how far you can go, swiss army knife. Think you are now in a better place to find that out.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wish this young man the very best at UGA. I hope it’s a great situation and experience for Him and the Dawgs !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

Maybe, with KJ’s flip and, in this case more of a roundabout way, we’re finally making some inroads into cracking the stubborn recruiting nut that is Buford.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hopefully Haynes and Downs enter the portal and comes home too, especially Haynes.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jake will join 6 other Georgia safeties....Malaki Starks leading the pack. I wish the former Buford boy well.

• Options
    PlateauDawgPlateauDawg Posts: 41 ✭✭ Sophomore

With Saban now retired maybe the Buford coach will be off the Alabama payroll & we can start to consistently sign Buford players.

• Options
    SR_JRSR_JR Posts: 45 ✭✭ Sophomore

This move is a bit more puzzling than the Jackson kid from USC. Dont we have a good number at safety. Starks, Thomas, Daniel-Sisavanh, Aguero, Jones, Bolden, Rhett, Jackson (8 safeties) But I guess this is why I'm a fan and not a coach. I believe we pulled the trigger too fast on 3 wideouts knowing there were 4 more teams still playing ball. We have no chance of bringing Bond from Alabama. Didn't even try to go after Evan Stewart. Bond and Stewart are lite years ahead of who we brought in from the portal at W.R. Scratching my head a bit. Seems like Dan Lanning is doing a great job over there as much as I hate to say that.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 13

Dan Jackson is a good comp. My 1st thought too. Pope probably a little bigger and better athlete. But worth a 1/85th? IDK considering DJackson was always a non scholarship player. When Pope committed to AL I didn't think he'd play much and eventually transfer.

But probably a good pick up with 1) a need at S that will become a bigger need after spring TP exits and 2) the NIL and playing time commitment a player like Caleb Downs would demand.

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Maybe he'll bloom into what another Jake was back in the 60s. Jake Scott, one of the best to ever wear the Red and Black.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just because, he's "listed" as a safety....doesn't necessarily mean, that's how Kirby and Will intend to use him.

IMO...it adds depth to their "dime defense" packages. He can be used all over the defensive backfield as a situational player, also capable of adding to the "safety" rotation and Special Teams. Great pickup....considering there was nobody standing in the spot he takes up on the roster.

• Options
    80Grad195580Grad1955 Posts: 10 ✭✭ Sophomore

Just watched his tape...he's fast and quick. Plays receiver, punt returner as well as safety...we lost some special teams guys this year and he will be a good fit there as well. Got a little bit of McConkey in his step. No slouch.

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This pick up makes a lot of sense. Good athlete with good size. Played football and baseball at a high level at Buford. Versatile on defense and special teams. We have lost Javon and Tykee to the NFL and only brought in 1 safety in 2024 class. One of our best special team players, Nyland, entered the portal. Dan Jackson is in his final year. Pope has a few years left to play. Another player from powerhouse Buford is helpful. If Caleb decides to enter the portal, I don't think bringing in Pope would be a drawback for Kirby or Caleb.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    DawggieDawggie Posts: 69 ✭✭✭ Junior

What “Buford Curse?”

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    OldJeepBobOldJeepBob Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thought Joenel Aguero was a '23 commit?