Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia announces Travaris Robinson as co-defensive coordinator, safeties coach

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited January 13 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia announces Travaris Robinson as co-defensive coordinator, safeties coach

Georgia has announced that former Alabama defensive backs coach Travaris Robinson has joined the Georgia football coaching staff as the co-defensive coordinator and safeties coach.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 13

not sure where that puts us, but I believe teams are limited to one head coach and 10 assistants that can work with players. nonetheless, sensed there was some friction there toward the end of the season......wouldn't surprise me at all if this is some sort of planned turnover, whether it was mutually agreed to or otherwise.

hope not, I like Muschamp.....but not surprising.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I assume this is sarcasm. I'm not saying he's not a good hire. But we already have two co-coordinators on defense, and Smart, Muschamp and Williams coaching DBs. Putting aside Robinson's qualifications, I'd say this is very surprising... barring another shoe falling....

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree this is HUGE!!! I must have missed several things here. When did he quit his job at Bama and did Muschamp seek a different role? I hope this helps with recruiting……especially with potential transfers from Bama. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Though it could be, this doesn’t necessarily mean Muschamp is going anywhere. After all they used the term CO Defensive Coordinator and Safties Coach.

I have no clue how well he can and will coach. I would think at least pretty good or Kirby wouldn’t have taken him on board. One would think this would help us in recruiting. Now let’s see how many More of Saban’s Coaches leave Bama taking their recruiting connections with them !!

• Options
    Joe_GagliardiJoe_Gagliardi Posts: 25 ✭✭ Sophomore

As an alternative hypothesis I wonder if this is because Schumann is leaving and Will is taking over.

• Options

I noticed in an ESPN article this past Monday (before Saban retired) that Travaris was the “no brainer” choice on a list of candidates for the new Bama DC. Clearly he is a great coach and recruiter. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Schuman may have been biding his time til Saban retired in 2-3 years(or so he thought). Now that Saban has retired and a new coach has been named it probably speeds up his leaving time to find a headcoaching position elsewhere.

• Options
  • Options
    David1David1 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 13

The article said Muschamp is moving to an analyst role. It doesn’t say or imply that he’s going anywhere. Schumman probably won’t leave to do the same job anywhere else. That’s a lateral move, not a step up. Kirby might be grooming him to be head coach one day.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Welcome Coach Robinson and family. Go Dawgz. 😎

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

This whole college coaching change thing is like a big ol' chess match and elite coaches like Smart are countering what they see other coaches are doing and circumstances that can arise from different choices. Kinda like when Smart brought Bobo inhouse a year before Monken left. It's like Kirby is trying to stay 2 steps ahead of everyone else and doing a pretty good job with that.

• Options
    Louis8478Louis8478 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers. Hopefully this helps a defense that has struggled some the last year or so. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    USADawgUSADawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gee.. which players may want to follow him over? Seems like a genius move to me.

• Options

IMO our pass defense(DB's and safeties) has been suspect the past couple of years. Too many open receivers and uncontested passes. THe mantra has been if you're going to beat Georgia you have to have a great passing attack. (see BAMA 2021 SECC game). You're not going to beat us running the ball. I think this move is brilliant. Robinson as Co-Defenisve Cord. gives him the say so to also teach/oversee our corners along with the new corners coach without the new DB coach getting upset. - Go Dawgs!

• Options
    edited January 13

It’s interesting that Jake Pope also committed yesterday. I’d assume Kirby discussed this with Travaris before it all happened which makes me feel even better about the Pope commitment since Travaris coached him for 2 years. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 13

I don't normally do this, but I have to say, the down vote for my comment is baffling. My only point was that this was very unexpected, considering the defensive org chart at the time the article was first published, and I made it a point not to question the hire on its merits alone. I don't see any reasonably disputing my point.

Obviously, now with the knowledge that Muschamp will be taking an off-field role, it all makes a lot more sense, and all I can say is hell yeah.

Anyway, moving on. I won't be holding my breath for Downs. There's been no word on him entering the portal. And if/when he ever does, he just never seemed all that interested in coming to Georgia as a recruit. Will the addition of TRob be a game changer? Perhaps. But I'm gonna have to see the needle move at least a little bit before I get my hopes up.