Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Crystal balling the future of college football

2»

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pay them to play, but pay the same across the board for each school. That takes away the desire to sign with school A versus school B. Take away the bidding war for players. If there is no cash incentive to attend Auburn vs UGA then that makes it more about the kids heart and not his financial considerations. Make all contracts transparent and public.

Set up some type of advisery board that checks into under the table cash or cars. When you find evidence of such come down hard on the player and the school. WIth Social Media today most kids can't keep too many secrets. Lets say they lose their NIL deal for a year and their scholarship because they took an extra 100k or a Bimmer whatever under the table(ouch!) and the school loses something of consequence too if it can be proven the school had knowldge of it and didn't report it. If the school had no knowledge then give the school a pass. If proven the school helped broker the deal then they are out of playoffs for 2-3 years. Accountability.

The transfer portal needs to be only available for players who have completed 2 seasons with a school. Enough time to deciide if they like the school and if they are in a position to play in their 3rd year. Assuming their1st year is a redsirt year, they will still have 3 years of eligibilty left.

THe transfer opening and closing has to be of shorter duration say 10 days max sometime during the spring. Somehow the incentive to change schools need to be minimized. again it's mainly money driven currently.

For any Bowl game to mean anything then the players need to honor their contracts/scholarships in order to collect their NIL. Maybe hold back a significant amount of their NIL say 25% until after the season is over. If they don't play and it's not due to injuries It would stand to reason that they weren't honoring or living up to the agreement.

As of right now the players who enter the transfer portal are mainly seeking money and not playing time. Entienne isn't seeking more playing time. Neither is Bond and so many others. It's about the money, more of it. THat's whats making it a bunch of unrestricted free agent mercenaries. The school doesn't matter, just the money.

That's the ugliness of it all.

JUst thinking outloud.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Man...it's just a matter of time, before Civil...[and, possibly Criminal]....courts are asked to resolve conflicts.

Lol....I don't know, what laws, regulations or rules, either party is gonna rely on to make their arguments.

• Options
    Louis8478Louis8478 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 14

Interesting to see what the XFL and the USFL, which are combining this year, are thinking about this situation. The owners of this league might see an opportunity to profit off 5-stars high schoolers playing in their league as opposed to has-beens and unknown players trying to make the NFL. One of the owners is Dwayne Johnson, aka " The Rock". Maybe a little business savvy and political connections could produce a profitable semipro football league. Not desirable, at least for me, but Interesting nevertheless.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No matter how many teams are in the playoffs, job one is getting the rankings out of the hands of professional university administrators and other politicians. There is sufficient technology and metrics to create a computer model that can produce a legitimate ranking. Byes are going to be of utmost importance and having a roomful of money hungry puppets whose strings are being pulled by TV executives to create matchups through the rankings will further bastardize the ranking process even more than it is already!

• Options
    edited January 14

I was kinda thinking the same thing. Though, you are the first to actually comment on it.

They could really turn it into a thing....with the right Promotion. If I were them....I'd start by hiring people like, Deion Sanders and Lincoln Riley. Known recruiters and air-taid/West Coast style backgrounds to Coach some of the teams.

The bigger the "mouth"...the better. "Deion Sanders & Sons" were built for this....and Lincoln Riley could show em how to light up a scoreboard [or, rack up yards, anyway].

If they concentrate, mainly, on HS Graduates and JuCo Players....They could call it..."The After-School Foorball League"....or, ASFL. Lol

I'd watch em. Lol...."Tuesday Night Football"...look out!

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

Make betting on college sports illegal. ESPN and Fox have tailored how they cover sports for the average bettor who doesnt care about the team they placed a bet on.

They dont care about rivalries or tradition, but they'll casually watch a bunch of different games and be interested in the ones getting the most hype.

ESPN is not in it for the hard core cfb fan that has supported their team since childhood and probably went to the university (or have familiy that did).

The people ESPN care about now do not give two sh!ts if USC is playing Maryland instead of UCLA (or whoever their former rivals are).

• Options
    Louis8478Louis8478 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior

Lol, 😆. The bigger the personalities, the bigger the audience. They can take care of the big money 5-stars, transfers and create some excitement. It could also save college football for the purest.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

NIL is not going to change. It's an individual right, verified by the Supreme Court. Quite frankly, the only discussion that can take place about NIL is regarding a minor under the law and their "rights." After 18 years of age any individual can use their fame, brains, talent or pure luck to get paid by any willing payor. It is assumed there will be some sort of contractual agreement and those agreements will be different for each individual. People with qualities or luck enough to have NIL opportunities are not going to accept herd payments. Let's just get over it and out manage the system, dominate the negotiations and vanquish our opponents. Seems like Kirby feels that way.

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I've already given up on pro sports and at the rate the NCAA is screwing up college sports I may get in a lot more golf, fishing, and hunting in the coming years.

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Most of these ideas are almost laughable. Those stating that things can't change are wrong!! College football is a business and if the consumers stop paying money for it--Things will change overnight. No more NIL and the portal is changed to after bowl games and is a one time event lasting two weeks. Kid can transfer one time and that's it-you are where you are and make the best of it or study and get a real job.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most of these ideas are almost laughable. Those stating that things can't change are wrong!! 

Absolutely.

One thing I learned as a student at Georgia was this:

Growth comes through change and causes change.

There is bound to be a great deal more change in the NIL/portal world as it impacts the sport. The direction is unknown. Let's hope college football is not ruined by it.

I'm not suggesting imposing solutions upon the players. Instead I think solutions which work for everyone need to be considered, negotiated, and codified, if that's the right word, by contractual obligations voluntarily entered into by the various parties.

In the meantime, Kirby is making the best of all things outside his control including the portal and NIL. Good for him.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior

AS far as opting out is concerned, why can't the scholarship players have written into their commitment that they must play every game on the schedule, including bowl games? If they opt out, they would be required to repay all of their scholarship money.

• Options
    edited January 15

We ALL see the obvious issues....and, everybody has some valid suggestions for fixing the problems.

My concern is that....if we can all see what the issues and solutions are....you know doggone well, the people that "seem" to be in control, see exactly what we see. And, probably know exactly how to fix it....but, don't have "the authority"....or, more importantly, "the incentive".

So, the question is....WHO does have the authority to make the necessary changes to DIV1 CFB and the NCAA.

This whole thing, is a "stew of corruption"....and, I feel like "The Fans" are the only people not making money off of it...unless of course, they gamble. Lol

Like you said @JimWallace....if we stop buyin' their paraphernalia and tickets....stop watching their commercials....boycott NIL Sponsers, etc....no more NIL Money. It'll hurt "everybody involved" for a while...but...it's for the "good of the game and the kids"...IMO.

We need to take control of CFB back, from the likes of ESPN and Vegas. If we did all that....UGA would be one of the "least effected" teams, as they don't rely as heavily on that part of the "game".

I have no problem with, say....AJ Green selling a game jersey or Todd Gurley selling his autograph. Those are "real" NIL Transactions. What's going on now, is raw, blatant...in your face "CORRUPTION" at the highest levels of Sports Media and CFB.

It's effecting, which Teams are chosen to compete in the CFP. Here's what I learned at my University...Absolute power, corrupts Absolutely! Many times...the wolves will show up touting "change" and flashing dollars, to get the gullible to bite.

IMO....That little blurb about ""Change" was invented by our [U.S.] enemies. They need us to be open to ANY change, in order to "conquer us from within". It's been their Trojan Horse, since the '50's.

Lol...but, looking around at our Gov't and Society as a whole....why should CFB Leaders be any different than the other "crooks". Our people seem to be too accepting of "change" and tolerant of "ANY Change"....as if....all change is "good". It's not.

IMO....you want to ensure "healthy growth" and "positive change"....which is Impossible....if all guardrails keeping you on the straight and narrow, have been removed.

"Who removed the guardrails?" you ask....well, that would be "the people in control" and "the people that stand to make the most money"....[NCAA, SCOTUS, Congress, etal.]. You know doggone well, they all saw this coming....even if they didn't facilitate it themselves. They all, let a lot of people down, IMO. Lol....but, what else is new?.

It's up to us....the people....the fans, to ensure the game exists "sound & intact", for our kids and their kids. I feel a "movement" starting up. People are becoming disgusted by what they are seeing. And, that's the very first step, to "real change".

Go Dawgs! Always!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 15

Growth comes from change and causes change.

I got that in UGA's introductory economic course. The professor from whom it comes was deceased but his surviving peers were fond of quoting him and explaining what he meant.

I can't say anything about his view of society or his politics because I know nothing, but I highly doubt he was a Marxist or a proponent of chaos and anarchy. Someone older than me, on this forum, probably studied with the man and may remember more.

I've found many many applications for the wisdom within the quotation.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options

I believe that statement carries a lot of truth. The key word there, being "growth". IMO..."Growth" is the catalyst....not "change". I.e., change doesn't result in "growth"....but, the other way around.

That being said....CFB Fans are "growing"....and, from that growth, "change" will come. But, CFB Fans & Alumni need the tools to facilitate the "change". Those traditional tools have been neutralized or removed completely by the people making money off of it.

We have to be more creative in pressuring the NCAA and Congress to install new guardrails and shut down the flow of easy money, until some measure of control and oversight can be put in-place.

What they're doing now, is the equivalent of the Wild,Wild West. Lol....anything goes, cause, nobody's watchin'. Unless, of course, you piss em off by taking them to court, like FSU did.

• Options
    MakdawgMakdawg Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

I don't get why anyone that loves competition does not think that going to 12 teams or more makes sense. Georgia's game meant absolutely nothing. we watched it because we love our team but it meant nothing! all of the bowl games should lead to a play in game. have the next 16 teams playing in for a spot at #12. oh and no automatic bids what the hell is that? I don't care if you win your conference, if you are not ranked in the top 20 then you don't get in, what is the point of rankings? you use it to get the bye so obviously it's important! then use it on the backend, why have an undeserving team in when you have POWER conferences of only 2, SEC AND BIG10? A 3 loss sec team in the new conference could very likely kill an undefeated power puff league! take our league now...Georgia, TX bama, then you have Missouri, lsu, Oklahoma, ole miss...7 teams...6 just finished in the top 12 and Oklahoma would be left out at 15... so you are telling me that liberty belonged over any of these teams?

• Options

I disagree. The only "fair & just" way to do it...IS for automatic qualifiers. The same as any other playoff in any other league or sport.

Having human involvement, in determining the top 12 or 16 or 32 Teams....invites "corruption" and flaw. It should be handled similar to the way March Madness is handled.

There's a little more leeway for CBB than CFB, in that they invite 64+ teams. All of the Conference winners and runners up along with a number of at-large bids. They have human involvement....but, it's limited to the at-large bids.

I suppose CFB would also have to have some human involvement in finding the best at-large teams. But, whomever it is....needs to know what the hell they're doing and be capable of leaving their politics and biases at the door.

There also needs to be some uniformity in "officiating". All penalties should be made "review-able" by officials in a booth. We need better Quality Assurance to eliminate, what I believe is interference by Gambling establishments and enthusiasts.

You want to win a close game? Done. All you need to do is come off a few stacks of hundreds and, you too can own a replay official. Lol