Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Alabama safety Caleb Downs plans to enter transfer portal

SystemSystem Posts: 10,463 admin
edited January 17 in Article commenting
imageAlabama safety Caleb Downs plans to enter transfer portal

Kirby Smart spoke glowingly of Alabama safety Caleb Downs earlier this season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SR_JRSR_JR Posts: 45 ✭✭ Sophomore

It's insulting to the faithful dawg nation fan on how the writers regurgitate the same information from article to article. When I read a new article I don't want to read the samething I just read in the 2 articles before.

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Come on home! T Rob do your magic. Dawgs will show Caleb lots of love. Having spent 1 winter up north, I can tell you it's COLD at Ohio State. They may send receivers to the league, but UGA is the best education for a defender.

• Options
    CharlestonDawgFanCharlestonDawgFan Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

Oh boy, this could get real good real quick. These guys are used to winning and being in the Saban culture. Kirby has built the next generation of that, so a move here wouldn’t be too unfamiliar to these guys. I could see a few more heading this way once the dust settles.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Agreed 100% ..... Thats just the way we roll. A couple of sentences and a C & P. Good work!!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is going to be interesting. Georgia seems like the clear-cut logical choice for Downs, with UGA able to offer the best development of any team in CFB.

• Options
    WoodrowWoodrow Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

Man, I wish now we had not taken Pope, nothing against Pope but Caleb Downs is a game changer on defense. I mean an absolute beast. he and Starks would absolutely kill it. If e does come here, i do fear that some others may leave like Bolden, or Aguero, that would be my only concern I would have.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Now Caleb would be the perfect book end Head Huntin Savage disruptor that would return our D to the lead position once again!....Note to Caleb, Ryan Day is on a very HOT seat in Columbus.....you want consistency, just come home!

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Malaki, Caleb, Bolden, Aguero .. that's a LOT of speed.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I mentioned this on another blog several days ago. UGA and Ohio State are definitely the leaders, but don’t rule out Auburn thanks to Charles Kelly (#1 recruiter in the nation) because he was Caleb’s primary recruiter when he committed to Bama. Kelly just became Auburn’s DC so there may be a threat from those guys. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Georgia 's recruiting and portal picks could be likened to a Christmas stocking filled with elite players and looking to add the gift that protrudes from the top of the stocking.....Caleb Downs.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m confident Kirby discussed Pope with Travaris prior to us signing him so I think it’s cool. Pope is also an amazing special teams player so we can definitely utilize his skills in multiple ways. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Our Defense without Downs is Top 3-With Downs it is Interstellar

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agreed, UGA definitely offers the best developmental opportunity, but can UGA come up with the NIL funds? That’s a new twist that makes it even more interesting!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't see how Pope has anything to do with Caleb. He didn't prevent Caleb from going to Bama. As far as numbers, Kirby will make room for Caleb. As far as KJ, he will be in line for Starks job as he will be gone next year. Aguero is playing star, not safety.

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Pope came out as a 4 star. He's only gotten better under T-Rob. The question is who do we keep now that we have Pope?

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You are assuming Aguero and Rhett are chopped liver which they are not. Aguero may turn out to be as good as Downs and should we get Downs we might lose Aguero or Rhett or both.

Downs is an upgrade for sure but what makes our Defense top 3 is not Downs. It is better play by our DL and linebackers. Our defense was not top 3 in the nation this year. I think it was like 9th or something. 25 against the run or something not very good. That gets fixed by having better DL and LBers. I think we will be better in both those areas.

Downs is just the cherry on top. As long as we keep Aguero and/or Rhett I'm cool with it.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior

Perry Eliano who recruited Caleb Downs is no longer with Ohio State, not sure if that will make a difference.